NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 128085 times)
Babeuf

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »

Not for the mayoral election but didn’t think it was worth starting a new topic - AOC endorses Lander for Comptroller. Fingers crossed he can beat Corey!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #551 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »

Not for the mayoral election but didn’t think it was worth starting a new topic - AOC endorses Lander for Comptroller. Fingers crossed he can beat Corey!

With how many open races there are in NYC next year this thread would be better titled NYC 2021 Election or something of the sort. The whole political landscape of the city is about to change
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:55 PM »

Great news!!!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »

With how many open races there are in NYC next year this thread would be better titled NYC 2021 Election or something of the sort. The whole political landscape of the city is about to change

Done
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2021, 10:41:53 PM »

Apologies if someone already posted this, but I just read that Andrew Yang apparently endorsed Nina Turner.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:29 PM »

Apologies if someone already posted this, but I just read that Andrew Yang apparently endorsed Nina Turner.

Not surprising, he's kinda progressive leaning in a way.

Not a fan of him endorsing Saira Rao though, we all know how she is........
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #556 on: April 01, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2021, 02:49:33 PM by Oryxslayer »

Not surprising, he's kinda progressive leaning in a way.

Not a fan of him endorsing Saira Rao though, we all know how she is........

Yang has a clear set of policies he is personally committed to, but beyond those lines he is really a blank slate. He has demonstrated as much by more or less promising every faction a perk or town, as long as they come before him on the campaign. That's part of his positivity: everyone can see something nice in him because he'll promise them things, even though he really doesn't care about there vision. His endorsements in that regard reflect a campaign that seeks electoral success rather than any sort of ideological alignment.

Kinda like Trump's 2016 campaign, and that's not the only thing structurally comparable between the two.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #557 on: April 02, 2021, 09:09:15 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #558 on: April 02, 2021, 01:36:19 PM »

Yikes, ow... stay hydrated, kids!
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #559 on: April 11, 2021, 04:47:05 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 01:51:55 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Anything exciting happening in this race? Feels like we're just waiting on baited breath for Yang's kidney stones to pass
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #560 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »

Donovan's commercial mentions Obama more than Donovan.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2021, 11:23:58 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2021, 01:13:46 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

I honestly will never get the Yang hype. His whole schtick is just saying whatever random sh*t that pops up into his head, yet people online seem convinced that he's some sort of political genius. His UBI concept is interesting, but that's literally all there is to him.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »

I'm told from the inside, categorically, that all polls with Wiley ahead of Stringer should be ignored.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »

Yang is concerned about... unlicensed street vendors. With all of the issues plaguing New York from its lack of affordable housing to the unaccountable, paramilitary NYPD, he's highlighting a superfluous issue that literally no one in the city cares or talks about (except maybe his wealthy, white doners). This is like the fifth red flag that this guy is all about punishing working class people.

Anyway Stringer's response hits the nail on the head, albeit a touch dramatic.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:04 PM »

IMO all signs point to Yang by a bigger margin than expected.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #565 on: April 11, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »

Yang's candidacy in a nutshell:

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #566 on: April 11, 2021, 02:06:47 PM »

The best thing Andrew Yang could do if he really wants to win is to stop tweeting everything that comes into his brain the moment it comes into his brain
pikachu
United States

« Reply #567 on: April 11, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »

The best thing Andrew Yang could do if he really wants to win is to stop tweeting everything that comes into his brain the moment it comes into his brain

This is why I made the Trump 2016 comparison, but is there anything in the polls which has shown that his tweets have hurt him? Maybe this is the one, but until we see otherwise, idk if there's a reason to assume the guy's anything but a teflon candidate.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: April 11, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »

This is why I made the Trump 2016 comparison, but is there anything in the polls which has shown that his tweets have hurt him? Maybe this is the one, but until we see otherwise, idk if there's a reason to assume the guy's anything but a teflon candidate.

Democrats don’t vote like Republicans though. Republicans don’t care about Trump’s tweets. If given the right amount of sunlight, Yang’s tweets could hurt him. Maybe I’m totally wrong and they won’t ever end up hurting him, but it feels like Yang benefits from the fact that people don’t know anything about him beyond what he wants people to know about him.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #569 on: April 11, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »

Nah, there's a strategy to it — tweeting about anything and everything keeps the focus on non-issues rather than Yang's actual policies.

He has already corrected for the street vendors thing with a controversial tweet about dogs.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »

Democrats don’t vote like Republicans though. Republicans don’t care about Trump’s tweets. If given the right amount of sunlight, Yang’s tweets could hurt him. Maybe I’m totally wrong and they won’t ever end up hurting him, but it feels like Yang benefits from the fact that people don’t know anything about him beyond what he wants people to know about him.

I mean, this isn't the first time that Yang's tweeted something which got people mad or betrayed a complete lack of understanding about what the Mayor actually does, and he's still as strong a frontrunner despite everything. At the end of the day, the fact he's a likable figure with an aura of celebrity around him has managed to overshadow these problems, which imo feels Trump-y to me. Someone upthread also made the Biden 2020 comparison, which I didn't love because the backgrounds and reasons for support are very different, but the argument against him winning (basically his past and gaffes will catch up to him) does feel pretty similar and leads me to be skeptical of the anti-Yang argument. If Yang does end up losing, I feel like it'll come more from someone else catching fire at the right time and consolidating the rest of field vs his problems catching up to him.

(Also, imo, I think an overfocus on Twitter distracts bit from Yang getting positive coverage from other sources - there have been decently positive profiles in The Atlantic and the NYT in the past week.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #571 on: April 11, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »

None of these "Yang tweet scandals" remotely matter and no large amount of voters will see them or care.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #572 on: April 11, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 07:56:13 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Man, looks like my bumping turbo-charged the Yang hate.

In any case, I guess get it out of everyone's systems before another long-overdue poll showing Yang with a double-digit lead, as is tradition.

Day 1: "He's not taking this seriously at all"
Day 2: "He's doing a good job so far!"
Day 3: "I'm finding myself really annoyed by Yang"
Day 4: "I'm finding myself really endeared to Yang!"
Day 5: "He's gonna lose so badly"
Day 6: Poll comes out showing Yang on top

And repeat

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #573 on: April 11, 2021, 09:47:12 PM »

Yang's a smart guy & you can tell that his brain is just always spinning, which would typically be a good thing, but campaigning & governing are whole different ball-games compared to being a start-up entrepreneur. If it weren't for the fact that none of this stuff will probably even matter in the end, exposing himself by adding to the stigma of him not being tuned-in to local matters with random tweets like this would be akin to just constantly shooting himself in the foot.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »

Hoo boy:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to: