NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:46:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 125630 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2021, 04:46:56 PM »

Rose out-

Maybe Rose runs for something like Brooklyn Borough President, or a State Senate or Assembly seat.

Not a chance he wins Boro president and state legislative office would be a downgrade, his ego is too gigantic for that.

I like his outerborough moderate appeal; he should seek a rematch in 2022 or run for governor or something

I'm not sure. Who would support him instead of Cuomo? Their lanes would be mostly the same, in fact as much as I hate to say it Rose is (just) more progressive than the governor. If they were the only two candidates then the debate would just be a shouting match over who hates De Blasio more.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »

NY Post: "Andrew Yang’s anti-circumcision stance cuts deep: Jewish leaders"

He’s got foreskin in the game.

Andrew Yang, the failed presidential candidate who has signaled his intention to run for mayor of New York City, is a long-time opponent of circumcision — and some political observers wonder if that position could cut into his popularity.

The entrepreneur, 45, who would face a crowded field in the June Democratic primary, has repeatedly spoken of his disdain for the traditional snip.

“Against the practice,” he told a Twitter fan in March 2019 when asked about his stance on “routine infant circumcision?”

[...]

Georganne Chapin, founder and executive director of the non-profit Intact America, told The Post it’s about time the issue enters the political mainstream.

“It’s just not a taboo subject anymore and that’s incredibly refreshing,” she said. “If Andrew Yang stays in the race, it will be discussed as part of contemporary politics and I think that’s great.”

[...]

Cantor Philip L. Sherman, 66, said the stance would be “significantly problematic for [Yang] politically.”

“If you’re trying to garner votes among the liberal Jewish community and especially in the Orthodox community, you can forget it. You can take that whole bloc out,” Sherman, who has spent more than 40 years performing Jewish circumcision, told The Post.
The Mohel washes his hands before the circumcision ceremony begins.

[...]

Reps for Yang declined to say whether he was circumcised.

Too funny an article not to post. A year or two ago I made a poll asking if Yang's circumcision stance would hurt him among Jews, although given that many if not most American Jews are non-practicing and Hasids aren't voting for a Democrat in the first place, it probably won't hurt him that much. Although if he's running to be a mayor of a city that has a large Jewish community, obviously this thing could be a potential liability. Yang should be careful about cutting off his foreskin to spite his face.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »

NY Post: "Andrew Yang’s anti-circumcision stance cuts deep: Jewish leaders"

He’s got foreskin in the game.

Andrew Yang, the failed presidential candidate who has signaled his intention to run for mayor of New York City, is a long-time opponent of circumcision — and some political observers wonder if that position could cut into his popularity.

The entrepreneur, 45, who would face a crowded field in the June Democratic primary, has repeatedly spoken of his disdain for the traditional snip.

“Against the practice,” he told a Twitter fan in March 2019 when asked about his stance on “routine infant circumcision?”

[...]

Georganne Chapin, founder and executive director of the non-profit Intact America, told The Post it’s about time the issue enters the political mainstream.

“It’s just not a taboo subject anymore and that’s incredibly refreshing,” she said. “If Andrew Yang stays in the race, it will be discussed as part of contemporary politics and I think that’s great.”

[...]

Cantor Philip L. Sherman, 66, said the stance would be “significantly problematic for [Yang] politically.”

“If you’re trying to garner votes among the liberal Jewish community and especially in the Orthodox community, you can forget it. You can take that whole bloc out,” Sherman, who has spent more than 40 years performing Jewish circumcision, told The Post.
The Mohel washes his hands before the circumcision ceremony begins.

[...]

Reps for Yang declined to say whether he was circumcised.

Too funny an article not to post. A year or two ago I made a poll asking if Yang's circumcision stance would hurt him among Jews, although given that many if not most American Jews are non-practicing and Hasids aren't voting for a Democrat in the first place, it probably won't hurt him that much. Although if he's running to be a mayor of a city that has a large Jewish community, obviously this thing could be a potential liability. Yang should be careful about cutting off his foreskin to spite his face.

It's probably moot, because I don't think there'll be a majority in the New York City Council to ban circumcision any time soon.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »

Yang also said publicly he doesn't think the government should ban circumcision and that that decision should be left to the parents; he's just personally opposed to it because his wife convinced him they're bad.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »

Hopefully someone can find Yang an extinguisher because he just set his campaign on fire.

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »

Hopefully someone can find Yang an extinguisher because he just set his campaign on fire.

“I was very focused on helping Joe and Kamala win, and then helping flip the Senate,” he said, though Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s campaign was not especially fast-paced during the early days of the pandemic. “Most New Yorkers would be very excited about those goals, and are fairly indifferent to where I was doing that work from.”

Any cred he may or may not have had for being relatable and less of a politician-type figure, gone down the drain. Doesn't help him seem remotely more in touch with actual local issues, either...
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2021, 10:25:15 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 10:36:50 AM by KaiserDave »

Just saying most liberal NY primary voters, which is to say most of them, are probably fine with Yang campaigning in Georgia.

Definitely an interesting interview, and worth reading. I'm exciting about Yang's ambitious anti-poverty agenda, and throwing MLK III into the mix is interesting. However Yang really needs a better response to the residency question.

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »

Copying and pasting some thoughts I wrote out on Twitter cuz I don't feel like rephrasing it for here.

This guy is so hard to pin down. On the one hand, he does talk about issues that are important and even forward-thinking, but he seems to do so without command of the topic or any grasp of how legislation works. I remember during his Presidential campaign, it seemed like almost every issue he talked about related back to UBI. As if he did not have a complex understanding of how poverty or systemic injustice works other than “the absence of money.” The Times piece in the OP refers to him as a “neophyte” and even that feels too charitable. He’s more like a layman. A lot of the things he espouses are rooted in the abstract of what *could* be done as opposed to what *can* be done. And not in a “this idea is pie-in-the-sky” kind of way, more like “well if I think this is a good idea, it must be a good idea” He doesn’t understand legislation, he doesn’t understand government, he doesn’t understand governing. He admits that he’s never voted for mayor because he has “taken city government for granted.” How can you run for President while not having an appreciation for local politics? It seems like it’s a lot more vain than altruistic. It’s like he wants the credit for being the genius who figured out that poverty is bad. He doesn’t want to govern, he wants to be a movie star. It always rubbed me the wrong way that he would run for Pres w/o govt experience. After we elected Donald Trump, who ran for POTUS for the personal glory without understanding how government or legislating works, YOU’RE the guy who should succeed him? Someone who has virtually the same resume as Trump? That takes a lot of ambition. And not in a good way. I’ve always been skeptical of Yang and this article further proves that he may not really understand politics or issues outside of a very elementary grasp of things. It’s like he’s arrived at the correct answer without doing the work. It’s very technocratic.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »

Copying and pasting some thoughts I wrote out on Twitter cuz I don't feel like rephrasing it for here.

This guy is so hard to pin down. On the one hand, he does talk about issues that are important and even forward-thinking, but he seems to do so without command of the topic or any grasp of how legislation works. I remember during his Presidential campaign, it seemed like almost every issue he talked about related back to UBI. As if he did not have a complex understanding of how poverty or systemic injustice works other than “the absence of money.” The Times piece in the OP refers to him as a “neophyte” and even that feels too charitable. He’s more like a layman. A lot of the things he espouses are rooted in the abstract of what *could* be done as opposed to what *can* be done. And not in a “this idea is pie-in-the-sky” kind of way, more like “well if I think this is a good idea, it must be a good idea” He doesn’t understand legislation, he doesn’t understand government, he doesn’t understand governing. He admits that he’s never voted for mayor because he has “taken city government for granted.” How can you run for President while not having an appreciation for local politics? It seems like it’s a lot more vain than altruistic. It’s like he wants the credit for being the genius who figured out that poverty is bad. He doesn’t want to govern, he wants to be a movie star. It always rubbed me the wrong way that he would run for Pres w/o govt experience. After we elected Donald Trump, who ran for POTUS for the personal glory without understanding how government or legislating works, YOU’RE the guy who should succeed him? Someone who has virtually the same resume as Trump? That takes a lot of ambition. And not in a good way. I’ve always been skeptical of Yang and this article further proves that he may not really understand politics or issues outside of a very elementary grasp of things. It’s like he’s arrived at the correct answer without doing the work. It’s very technocratic.

I agree with much of what you've said, but this is very unfair to Yang. Their both private sector outsiders, but that's where the similarities end.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »

I agree with much of what you've said, but this is very unfair to Yang. Their both private sector outsiders, but that's where the similarities end.

No government experience? Running using their business experience as both a platform and an appeal to authority? That was my point--if you're running to succeed a disastrously inexperienced President whose inexperience played directly into his failures, you better have a real argument to back that up. Yang was no closer to being prepared for the office of the Presidency in 2020 (or the office of Mayor of NYC in 2021 for that matter) than Donald Trump was in 2016.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »

No government experience? Running using their business experience as both a platform and an appeal to authority? That was my point--if you're running to succeed a disastrously inexperienced President whose inexperience played directly into his failures, you better have a real argument to back that up. Yang was no closer to being prepared for the office of the Presidency in 2020 (or the office of Mayor of NYC in 2021 for that matter) than Donald Trump was in 2016.

Trump is a billionaire who made his money through an array of disastrous and racially discriminatory real estate enterprises. Yang is barely a millionaire who ran an education start up.

I didn't support Yang for President, ever, or at all, but he and Trump are not that similar.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2021, 11:53:10 AM »

Trump is a billionaire who made his money through an array of disastrous and racially discriminatory real estate enterprises. Yang is barely a millionaire who ran an education start up.

I didn't support Yang for President, ever, or at all, but he and Trump are not that similar.

I'm talking strictly about how they used their private sector experience as a platform to run for office, though. I understand they're not the same kind of businessman, but they both attempted to use that as a justification for why they should be President.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 12:07:47 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

Yikes! This is so out of touch.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »

Yang won't be mayor.

He should be running the DNC

Stringer or Adams are likely to win

The NYCGOP has no chance after what happened on Jan. 6
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »

How stupid that one silly comment can torpedo Yang, yet people like Trump can get away with anything.  But I agree with the above post, let him run the DNC.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »

How stupid that one silly comment can torpedo Yang, yet people like Trump can get away with anything.  But I agree with the above post, let him run the DNC.

You’re not wrong, but it’s not a direct comparison. Trump played to an already existing devoured base in a crowded field, while Yang is trying to make a base in such a field, which is very hard. Still I don’t think it’ll sink him. But he’s bruised.

Is there any news about Menchaca’s campaign?
JMT

« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »

Yang in.

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:43 PM »

Yang in.

Best of luck for Yang! I'm sure he'll be a great improvement over de Blasio.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »

Damn that video was good

If his campaign continues like that I'll rank him highly
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2021, 08:50:41 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 08:58:58 PM by KaiserDave »

"Yang is vowing to launch what his team said would be the largest program of its kind nationally — a proposal to give 500,000 New Yorkers living in poverty between $2,000 and $5,000 per year. It’s not yet clear exactly how the money would be generated; his 2-page plan indicated he would spend $1 billion each year from the roughly $90 billion city budget, while relying on grants from philanthropic groups."

This is what I'd hope he'd do

Very good

So far I'm still eh on his candidacy but I'm warming to it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »

Also, apparently went unnoticed on here but he responded to the criticism from his comment the other day:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »

Uh

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States