NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:38:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127382 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »

Oxygen thief billionaire land developers plan to spend tens of millions on trying to get a moderate Dem elected. I'm not sure why they're bothering, both Yang and Adam seem squarely I'm their corner. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/09/nyregion/stephen-ross-mayor-money.html
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »

Oxygen thief billionaire land developers plan to spend tens of millions on trying to get a moderate Dem elected. I'm not sure why they're bothering, both Yang and Adam seem squarely I'm their corner. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/09/nyregion/stephen-ross-mayor-money.html

Thanks for sharing. Very bad stuff.

As for where I'm at, I moving squarely into Stringer's corner and hoping to get a volunteering position.

He's the only candidate I believe that combines progressive policies with decades of government experience. I like his endorsements (Bowman, Nadler, RWDSU) and I like the guy personally!

My view on Garcia has declined given her lack of liberalism, I like her experience but she's too moderate for my taste. I've been moving away from Yang for some time. I will very likely not be ranking him at all.

In the Comptroller race I am entirely behind Lander, without the shadow of a doubt. Corey Johnson should never have ran.

Since Menchaca's only emailing about donations, I am thinking of hopping on the Stringer train as well. I've been getting emails about signing up for a petition gathering shift. I think I'll do it.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »

DTC and CT kiddo supporting that position is proof enough for me to know it's wrong, as if I didn't already.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »

I signed a petition for Diane Morales today.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »

Saw Maya Wiley today, the first sign of her campaign's existence to me

How are you in a position to see all of these mayoral candidates walking past your door? 😂 I guess they don't come where I stay way out here in the eastern part of Brooklyn.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »

Saw Maya Wiley today, the first sign of her campaign's existence to me

How are you in a position to see all of these mayoral candidates walking past your door? 😂 I guess they don't come where I stay way out here in the eastern part of Brooklyn.

Well I ran into Garcia and Wiley at the same place, suffice it to say I live close to a fair amount of major areas where people gather.

Ugh, I really need to get a new place for the summer that's closer to stuff like that. PM me if you have any advice.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2021, 10:41:53 PM »

Apologies if someone already posted this, but I just read that Andrew Yang apparently endorsed Nina Turner.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »

Why isn't Eric Adams gaining traction? Is it because McGuire is in his lane of moderate black voters in Queens and Brooklyn? Is it because he is a former cop?

Is it because he sucks?

How does he suck?

Because he's allied with the independent Democrat coalition that helped the Republicans nuke rent control laws and affordable housing in NY.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »

Scott is amazing as usual.

Unfortunately nobody cares about any of this.

New York City is full of idiots. The average Yang voter probably gushingly approves of Cuomo because of the press fawning in the past year and hates De Blasio because the media tells them to. Never mind that Cuomo has been fighting De Blasio to take a sh**t on the MTA and flip the city for a profit for years now.

Let's not forget name recognition means more than anything.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »

Why isn't Eric Adams gaining traction? Is it because McGuire is in his lane of moderate black voters in Queens and Brooklyn? Is it because he is a former cop?

Is it because he sucks?

How does he suck?

Because he's allied with the independent Democrat coalition that helped the Republicans nuke rent control laws and affordable housing in NY.

That's inherently an oxymoron. Even though Adams and the IDC suck for other reasons.

Let me guess, you're going to tell me how allowing predatory developers to triple the rents in some neighborhoods in 20 years actually made the housing affordable? Save it.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »

Scott is amazing as usual.

Unfortunately nobody cares about any of this.

New York City is full of idiots. The average Yang voter probably gushingly approves of Cuomo because of the press fawning in the past year and hates De Blasio because the media tells them to. Never mind that Cuomo has been fighting De Blasio to take a sh**t on the MTA and flip the city for a profit for years now.

Let's not forget name recognition means more than anything.
Don't forget the young people who have positive impressions of Yang as a candidate from 2020 (and don't know much about the other candidates) and are not aware that he's one of the right wing candidates in this race. Despairing of that message breaking through before June.

Not talking about activist types here, just a bunch of people who were for Bernie or Warren but not strongly engaged in the political process. They should be a weak flank of the current Yang coalition but doesn't seem to be much movement there. I see a lot of them anecdotally.

Yeah. Heck, I was open to the possibility of it for a hot second, untill I realized the Bloomberg people and real estate scum were lecherously working behind the scenes to influence his candidacy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »

Is it because he sucks?

How does he suck?

That's inherently an oxymoron. Even though Adams and the IDC suck for other reasons.

Let me guess, you're going to tell me how allowing predatory developers to triple the rents in some neighborhoods in 20 years actually made the housing affordable? Save it.

No, that didn't work either--to the extent that the power dynamics are as you suggest. But there are, in fact, other alternatives to your band-aid solution which helps *very few* people at the expense of many more--probably including you.

Cite:
https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/03/09/after-a-year-berlins-experiment-with-rent-control-is-a-failure
https://www.wsj.com/articles/wealthy-older-tenants-in-manhattan-get-biggest-boost-from-rent-regulations-11560344400
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdredge/pdr-edge-featd-article-061520.html
https://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/rent-control/
https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.125
7/aer.20181289
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1465-7295.1991.tb00850.x
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0094119099921630
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0094119006000635?via%3Dihub
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/rent-control/

I mean the real world fact in NYC is that rent controlled apartments dropped by about 65% in ten years, which coincided with an explosion in the cost of rent and predatory development. You can argue about the correlation, but entire neighborhoods that were once working class and affordable, like Long Island City, the East Village, and Fort Greene, have been turned into absolute gentrified luxury condo nightmares, and it priced hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers out of their homes and neighborhoods.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2021, 07:13:32 PM »

Interesting new interaction with Yang. (NSFW)

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nyc-elections-2021/ny-nyc-mayoral-race-broadway-shows-20210424-k76ux37gyrazbd5r656v5lw6wm-story.html

Anyone who said Hamilton is henceforth disqualified.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2021, 09:25:52 PM »

Color me skeptical for now.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »

https://theintercept.com/2021/05/04/nyc-mayor-scott-stringer-jean-kim/

Accusations against Stringer starting to unravel.

It looks like my initial skepticism may be vindicated.

I am back to supporting Stringer for a high pref.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »

Yang is still dominating the polls, I expect him to win by a larger than expected margin.

Not anymore.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »

Stringer is experienced and sounds progressive enough on the issues (at least from what I’ve read), but he’s a sex predator, so he’s obviously unfit for this or any other office to put it mildly.  

Got any credible sources for this claim?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »

Stringer is experienced and sounds progressive enough on the issues (at least from what I’ve read), but he’s a sex predator, so he’s obviously unfit for this or any other office to put it mildly.  

Got any credible sources for this claim?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/nyregion/scott-stringer-sexual-harassment.html

So, no. Thanks.

Hopefully more and more people start to treat this allegation with the credulousness it deserves (none.)

Probably too late for his campaign now, though, but I admire him for sticking with it, and for people like Nadler standing with him.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2021, 06:33:03 PM »

Jeffries and Eric Adams don't get along...both are ambitious central Brooklyn politicians with the same base of voters: Black voters from a range of poor to middle class professionals that live in the Fort Greene area...

Fort Greene?

There are no more poor blacks in Fort Greene, outside of the small percentage that lives in NYCHA housing.

It's sad that the home neighborhood of Biggie Smalls and Ol' Dirty Bastard has been largely emptied out and replaced by trust fund babies and other soft hands. Totally killed the character.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »

Lol @ this tab from Emerson. Forum won’t let me post links yet but search @mattcastillon on Twitter.

“How Likely are you to Vote in the 2021 Democratic Primary for Mayor of NYC?”

1st choice supporters responding “Very Likely”:

Adams: 95%
Wiley: 98%
Yang: 60%
Stringer: 96%
McGuire: 100%
Donovan: 97%
Morales: 100%
Garcia: 97%

Yang supporters are very, very dumb.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2021, 12:15:04 AM »

If Garcia can beat Yang and Adams, I'll take it.

NY Progressives need to corrall around a stronger candidate next time, though I'll agree that Stringer would be in a solid position by now if not for the allegations. Hopefully this is lesson learned.

What else can be learned except don't immediately dogpile someone before the facts are known?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2021, 12:12:01 AM »

Who is the biggest supporter of the police in this field?

Curtis Sliwa. He's a big fan of vigilante justice, even if the recipients are innocent blacks. You'll love him.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »

AOC endorsing Wiley is a pretty embarrassing error.

Why?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2021, 11:56:54 PM »

I wonder if the recent string of endorsements for Wiley will help her. The primary is still almost 2 weeks away. Not a lot of time left to consolidate the progressive vote but it's still a chance none the less.

Anyways as long as Yang doesn't win.

The recent poll has Wiley second to Adams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies