NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:41:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126936 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 05:04:15 PM »

A Republican primary of Donald Trump Jr vs. Rudy Giuliani's dumb kid? I sure hope so!
warandwar
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »

Kathryn Garcia seems like the type of person NYC could benefit from electing right now.
Why?

Not who you were asking but she's been de Blasio's go-to problem solver/crisis manager in City Hall & so she's earned a reputation there as an effective manager, which is obviously the complete opposite of de Blasio's status as NYC's current mayor-clown.

(Alternatively, perhaps Sev's intention was some sorta 'NYC is trash' joke since she's the Sanitation Commissioner?)
She's basically a complete unknown. The reputation game is all bs and no one cares about it outside of City and State readers. It is all appearances sake - running something "well" for a month does not mean you can be an effective mayor (and effect what?)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »

Still think if AOC decided to run she'd be a strong candidate in the primary.

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

But neither AOC or Rose is particularly likely to run.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.

Staten Island is the white ghetto of NYC....it is NYC.

Just because Staten Island doesn't vote like the rest of the city doesn't mean that is not part of the city. Most of the firefighters that served on 9/11 came from SI.

Rose won't run for mayor. Martin Golden, Joann Ariola, Vito Fossella or Andrew Lanza should run for the GOP side. Andrew Giuliani can't win. Donald Trump Jr. can't win.

Giuliani is toxic in NYC now.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.

Just because Staten Island doesn't vote like the rest of the city doesn't mean that is not part of the city. Most of the firefighters that served on 9/11 came from SI.

Rose won't run for mayor. Martin Golden, Joann Ariola, Vito Fossella or Andrew Lanza should run for the GOP side. Andrew Giuliani can't win. Donald Trump Jr. can't win.

Didn't Fossella have some weird scandal or get arrested or something way back? I think his career is mostly toast. I'll take your word for it on the other people, but I don't think any Republican really has an especially good shot at being elected. The Dem primary will determine who wins, because the political environment here is a lot different than it was in the 90s when Giuliani got elected and when Stop and Frisk Mike rode in on his coattails. 
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

Didn't Fossella have some weird scandal or get arrested or something way back? I think his career is mostly toast. I'll take your word for it on the other people, but I don't think any Republican really has an especially good shot at being elected. The Dem primary will determine who wins, because the political environment here is a lot different than it was in the 90s when Giuliani got elected and when Stop and Frisk Mike rode in on his coattails. 

bronz obsesses over random politicians that nobody has heard about for a while.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »

Probably going to be the foremost issue for the next election won't it is the budget and how to tackle?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-mayor-furloughs-himself-staff-for-week-to-ease-pandemic-budget-gap/ar-BB196z8C?ocid=ientp
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »

Giuliani delivers a speech, denouncing De Blasio and rolling out city GOP plan to hire 9,000 more cops. Uh huh.

Joined by luminaries like Catsimatidis and Curtis Sliwa. I'm surprised my favorite Staten Island congressman wasn't up there with him, I guess he wasn't important enough.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/former-mayor-rudy-giuliani-city-gop-officials-to-unveil-plan-to-revive-nyc/2620339/
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »

Giuliani delivers a speech, denouncing De Blasio and rolling out city GOP plan to hire 9,000 more cops. Uh huh.

Joined by luminaries like Catsimatidis and Curtis Sliwa. I'm surprised my favorite Staten Island congressman wasn't up there with him, I guess he wasn't important enough.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/former-mayor-rudy-giuliani-city-gop-officials-to-unveil-plan-to-revive-nyc/2620339/

Lmao. They're so pathetic.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »

Is Giuliani actually going to try and run for the mayors office? If so, it smells like the beginnings of potentially the most elegant GOP grift campaign yet, topping Loomer's and Klacik's which already separate fools from their money at a shocking rate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 03:15:57 PM »

Shaun Donovan has an impressive network already, the "Obama Halo", and can run as an outsider who had nothing to do with the De Blasio era while still passing muster as a liberal Democrat. He might have the edge now.
Babeuf

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »

Bowman endorsing Stringer, following other left electeds. Nice get for him.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »

Surprised no one mentioned Joey Saladino (Joey Salads) as a potential candidate, especially after his failed congressional run.

Though now that I think about it, that's probably why he won't go far in the primaries; and even if he does win the primaries, he's not winning the general outside (maybe?) Staten Island.

Could definitely see a Yang vs Don Jr matchup.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »

Bowman endorsing Stringer, following other left electeds. Nice get for him.

Stringer is easily the frontrunner
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2020, 11:31:53 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »

Gooooooooood.

I like Stringer so far.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »

Shaun Donovan has an impressive network already, the "Obama Halo", and can run as an outsider who had nothing to do with the De Blasio era while still passing muster as a liberal Democrat. He might have the edge now.
What? Not even Shaun Donovan believes that. And De Blasio's unpopularity is overstated. He remains fairly popular among outer borough Black folks and his annointed successor Wiley has a solid shot at winning.

Stringer, Adams, and Wiley are the frontrunners right now.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »

Corey Johnson's not running anymore. Word is he's going to run against Carolyn Maloney instead. He's been on a tear recently - just called the cops on protestors for the crime of protesting near his house.
Showing y'all there's a reason to take my word for things!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »

Is it really "withdrawing" if he never even officially ran?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »

Ugh Corey. Why'd ya have to screw up this summer so much, especially considering you were clearly the best on housing and transportation?

Team Donovan it is!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

I like Kathryn Garcia, She has Chutzpah.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »

I think I'm on Team Stringer.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »

Not sure where else to put this (maybe this could be a NYC megathread?) but King finally got kicked off the City Council. He's facing a third harassment allegation. The only other councilmember to support him was Ruben Diaz Sr.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-nyc-city-council-andy-king-expulsion-20201005-5npfbmib7raq7g5uam6g7o7iou-story.html
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »

Not sure where else to put this (maybe this could be a NYC megathread?) but King finally got kicked off the City Council. He's facing a third harassment allegation. The only other councilmember to support him was Ruben Diaz Sr.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-nyc-city-council-andy-king-expulsion-20201005-5npfbmib7raq7g5uam6g7o7iou-story.html

Because of course
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 11:11:58 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/us/harold-heshy-tischler-custody-orthodox-jewish-protests-new-york/index.html

Outspoken protester Harold "Heshy" Tischler was taken into custody Sunday evening in connection with an alleged assault during protests against new anti-coronavirus restrictions in an Orthodox Jewish area of Brooklyn, New York police say.

Some members of the Orthodox Jewish community protested in the Borough Park neighborhood for multiple nights last week in response to the measures, which limit gatherings in houses of worship in areas identified as Covid-19 clusters.
Jewish Insider reporter Jacob Kornbluh claimed on a verified Twitter account that during protests Wednesday night he was brutally assaulted after Tischler "recognized me and ordered the crowd to chase me down the street."

Confirming Tischler's detention Sunday, a New York City Police Department spokesman said that charges of inciting a riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with the incident surrounding Kornbluh are pending.

"The New York City Police Department Warrant Squad has taken Harold 'Heshy' Tischler into custody. He will be charged with inciting to riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with an assault of a journalist that took place on October 7, 2020 in Brooklyn," the department said on Twitter.

CNN has made multiple attempts to reach Tischler, but has not received a response.
Tischler is a candidate for New York City Council, a supporter of President Trump, and an outspoken critic of social distancing restrictions, according to posts on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

There have been protests and riots for the past several days now, and Tischler's arrest adds fuel to the fire.

Tischler is running in the 48th City Council District.

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2020, 10:25:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/us/harold-heshy-tischler-custody-orthodox-jewish-protests-new-york/index.html

Outspoken protester Harold "Heshy" Tischler was taken into custody Sunday evening in connection with an alleged assault during protests against new anti-coronavirus restrictions in an Orthodox Jewish area of Brooklyn, New York police say.

Some members of the Orthodox Jewish community protested in the Borough Park neighborhood for multiple nights last week in response to the measures, which limit gatherings in houses of worship in areas identified as Covid-19 clusters.
Jewish Insider reporter Jacob Kornbluh claimed on a verified Twitter account that during protests Wednesday night he was brutally assaulted after Tischler "recognized me and ordered the crowd to chase me down the street."

Confirming Tischler's detention Sunday, a New York City Police Department spokesman said that charges of inciting a riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with the incident surrounding Kornbluh are pending.

"The New York City Police Department Warrant Squad has taken Harold 'Heshy' Tischler into custody. He will be charged with inciting to riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with an assault of a journalist that took place on October 7, 2020 in Brooklyn," the department said on Twitter.

CNN has made multiple attempts to reach Tischler, but has not received a response.
Tischler is a candidate for New York City Council, a supporter of President Trump, and an outspoken critic of social distancing restrictions, according to posts on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

There have been protests and riots for the past several days now, and Tischler's arrest adds fuel to the fire.

Tischler is running in the 48th City Council District.

What an absolute piece of crap. Bonus: he's not even Hasidic. I think he must be Modern Orthodox because he speaks Yiddish but he doesn't follow most of the traditions the Ultras do. Yet he still feels comfortable rallying them to protest against safety measures that will help them avoid more of the the deaths they experienced at the peak of the outbreak.

I remember Ray Goldfield was applauding him for leading the playground chain destructions back in the spring. Looks pretty bad now in retrospect.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies