NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127358 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:10 PM »

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »

So how badly may that harm his campaign?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2021, 01:44:45 AM »

Yang is already pulling a good bit from the Yang Gang, and in typical Yang fashion has a quirky perk for hitting milestones:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2021, 02:24:41 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 02:30:51 AM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

I mean, it's definitely a red flag. The NDAs could be covering potentially damaging material.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2021, 02:41:36 PM »

Unless something bad comes out in spite of these agreements, this will mean nothing.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »

Yang is already starting to feel Trump-esque - not in policy or personality, but in "lol nothing matters" mode. He's had like five campaign-ending gaffes in a week and will probably go up by two points in the polls.

Although, actually, that may be more Biden-esque given how low-stakes most of his gaffes are.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »

I assume it's because the democrats are in power in D.C and it's not exactly an easy job but I'm always surprised at how relatively weak/low-key/inexperienced the democratic benches seem to be in every primary going back what 20-30 years?

Is there a reason for that?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »

Billionaire businessman John Cats is considering running as a Democrat.

Cats is a moderate middle of the road man who wants to see more law and order in the city.

“I may want to run as a Democrat with this ranked choice thing,” he said, referring to a new system of ranked choice voting that will allow voters to choose several candidates in order of preference in the June primary.

“This is a Democratic city, and I was a Bill Clinton Democrat. I was a Democrat for a long time,” Catsimatidis said. “I’m a middle-of-the-road guy. I can be a conservative Democrat, or I can be a liberal Republican.”

“The odds are insurmountable. But then again, I’m the chair of the Bronx Republican party — when are the odds not insurmountable?” said Bronx GOP chair Mike Rendino.

Rendino is the owner of the famous Stan's Bar, a local hangout for Yankee fans in the Bronx during spring and summer games.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/01/14/catsimatidis-mulls-democratic-mayoral-run-as-nyc-republicans-weigh-a-post-trump-era-1357090
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #308 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »

Can Curtis Sliwa make headways in the race?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2021, 09:06:59 PM »

The NYCGOP is not relevant in this election, it's only a question of who they chose to get 25% to 30%
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »

I assume it's because the democrats are in power in D.C and it's not exactly an easy job but I'm always surprised at how relatively weak/low-key/inexperienced the democratic benches seem to be in every primary going back what 20-30 years?

Nationally or just in New York City?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »

The NYCGOP is not relevant in this election, it's only a question of who they chose to get 25% to 30%

They are relevant, they are seen as the biggest supporters of the NYPD/FDNY, and they will get PBA/fire union support.

The unions will have to work with an overwhelmingly Democratic City Council and Democratic mayor to get some contract done or something......

Malliotakis got 27% citywide, in 2013, Lhota got 24%...

Sliwa may get 29%.......he will win Staten Island....the last Democrat to win SI was Ed Koch in 1985
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »

New York City!

I guess it's probably related to people always going for the easier life that a safe NYC congressional seat gives you or the more powerful position state wide.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »

New York City!

I guess it's probably related to people always going for the easier life that a safe NYC congressional seat gives you or the more powerful position state wide.

Its more a case that being elected as a big-city mayor with a constructive platform (rather than one of obstruction, such as when the official and the voters usual partisanship is mismatched) is a poisoned chalice. Outside of unelected positions like executive appointments, it is likely the end to your career. One ends up angering too many constituencies and you get little thanks for when things go well. So nobody with a seat on the parties bench will ever prefer the mayors office over something like a state legislative seat.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »

Yang still leads the field..
Duke of York

« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »

I wouldnt say that. Republicans have won before in NYC. Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Guliani were Republicans.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »

I wouldnt say that. Republicans have won before in NYC. Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Guliani were Republicans.

Exactly. This is 20 years after 9/11. Had there been no economic crisis or coronavirus, the NYGOP would have politicized the 9/11 anniversary. Rudy Giuliani is still around, and as long as he is not in jail by September, he will be at the 9/11 event, he has to.

He will be politicizing this and the NYCGOP candidate as well. As long as defund the police is still a thing, the NYCGOP will ALWAYS be relevant.

You are forgetting that Staten Island and southern Brooklyn still exist, and that a lot of the business and sports titans donate $$$$$ to the NYCGOP, which made Giuliani and Bloomberg possible.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »

That was over a decade ago and isn't really relevant to the current election.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »

That is true, but as long as the NYPD is around, the NYCGOP will always be relevant.....

warandwar
United States

« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »

That is true, but as long as the NYPD is around, the NYCGOP will always be relevant.....

Bronz stumbling backward into a good and entirely correct point.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2021, 11:16:54 PM »

Bronz stumbling backward into a good and entirely correct point.

It's the truth. The NYCGOP is the only political party in the city that fully "supports" the NYPD lockstep and barrel. Police departments are too politicized and that is the problem.

In 1992, Rudy Giuliani had a pro-police riot at City Hall, where off-duty cops were calling Mayor David Dinkins racial slurs.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

Yang tests positive for COVID:

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2021, 01:05:47 AM »

So, Yang is going to be president from 2029 - 2037 isn't he?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »

If Eric Ulrich were to make a last minute entry he'd win the Republican Primary, and probably scoop up at least 44-45% in a general election.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »

New York City! I guess it's probably related to people always going for the easier life that a safe NYC congressional seat gives you or the more powerful position state wide.

Being mayor of New York City has all the stresses of being a governor of a big state with only a fraction of the benefits and power.

Being a big-city mayor in the US in general is a pretty thankless task, since most of the biggest problems that cities suffer from can't be solved at just a local level, and often they're hamstrung by either the state or the federal governments, or machine-type City Council and civil servants that don't have much interest in changing the status quo.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies