NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:29:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126946 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: October 25, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »

Wow. What a nickname. He's known by this nationally per the tweet. Was there a meeting somewhere of housing activists and at said meeting of this national housing activists, did a person rise and say with foam coming from the mouth "I make a motion that from thenceforth, Greg Russ, the Chairman of the New York City Housing Authority, be known as the Czar of Privitization."? (with long emphasis on the word czar because no one good is called a czar after all) Then after everyone in attendance wondered "who?", someone seconded said motion and a majority of said meeting of national housing activists voted affirmative?

How did he become saddled with this 7-syllable nickname and nationally known for it? I'm intrigued by this question. Did the meeting keep minutes?
Duke of York

« Reply #2351 on: October 25, 2021, 04:03:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/EmersonPolling/status/1452730432802357248?s=20

Adams leads Silwa 70 to 30.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2352 on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:27 AM »

Not that I think Rojas will win but I’m surprised they didn’t include her, she could easily get 5-15% percent from disgruntled progressives
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2353 on: November 02, 2021, 12:16:55 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/RRHElections/status/1455578274277568516

This is like the most New York City Board of Elections thing ever. GOP Mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa's ballot got jammed in voting machine & it took them 35 minutes to fix it. They literally had to open up the machine to unjam it in order to count the 2nd page of Sliwa's ballot.

Video at link.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2354 on: November 02, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »

This is the biggest media coverage of the PSL or their candidates since their #StopAsianHate rallies. This just adds to the grassroots momentum of the PSL in their heavy campaign push last week. I’m excited to see how they do!
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2355 on: November 02, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »

Not that I think Rojas will win but I’m surprised they didn’t include her, she could easily get 5-15% percent from disgruntled progressives

My husband voted for Rojas as a protest without knowing anything about her, as he admitted after we left early voting. Demographically we are... let's say, not her target audience (and he voted for Clinton in the 2016 primary and Warren in the end, when it didn't matter, in the 2020 primary, after originally being a Harris supporter). So I wouldn't be surprised if Rojas gets a surprisingly high figure. 15% seems too high, but 5-10% is realistic.

I voted for Adams. Thought about writing someone in but decided that was a waste of time.
Babeuf

« Reply #2356 on: November 02, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »

Voted for Rojas and yes on all the props.

I don’t think Rojas will get more than 2% at most though.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2357 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:39 PM »

So, Silwa's  Chances of carrying Staten Island? There is enough despisal of deblazio deblasio and, although Adams was a cop, hes not exactly the typical Staten Island voters type of cop for multiple reasons.  It's still such a weak  Candidacy though that navy Adams has a shot there?
Why wouldn't Silwa carry Staten Island? It hasn't voted for a Democrat for mayor since 1985 and there's no reason why this would be the election to break that streak.

Adams is a pretty good fit for Staten Island. I'm not saying he'll win it, as Sliwa is also a good fit for it and yeah, it's a pretty Republican place. But I wouldn't be too surprised since Adams might well be the best Democratic candidate for Staten Island since Koch in 1985. There's also the fact that Sliwa's campaign is more of a meme than a serious candidacy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2358 on: November 02, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »

So, Silwa's  Chances of carrying Staten Island? There is enough despisal of deblazio deblasio and, although Adams was a cop, hes not exactly the typical Staten Island voters type of cop for multiple reasons.  It's still such a weak  Candidacy though that navy Adams has a shot there?
Why wouldn't Silwa carry Staten Island? It hasn't voted for a Democrat for mayor since 1985 and there's no reason why this would be the election to break that streak.

Adams is a pretty good fit for Staten Island. I'm not saying he'll win it, as Sliwa is also a good fit for it and yeah, it's a pretty Republican place. But I wouldn't be too surprised since Adams might well be the best Democratic candidate for Staten Island since Koch in 1985. There's also the fact that Sliwa's campaign is more of a meme than a serious candidacy.
Adams is a black guy. He might be a good fit otherwise but thay factor alone makes him not a good fit for Staten Island.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2359 on: November 02, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »

Lol

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2360 on: November 02, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »

Levity like this is therapeutic in a time when toxicity can seem to place front-and-center of our politics.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #2361 on: November 02, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »

I'm surprised the issue of nonfat yogurt never came up in the mayoral election.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2362 on: November 02, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »

Adams is a black guy. He might be a good fit otherwise but thay factor alone makes him not a good fit for Staten Island.

It voted for Obama in 2012.

Also, Adams was endorsed by even the NY Post. I think people might be surprised by the amount of crossover support he could get. If however he gets little to none, might be more of a sign of how polarized the times are than anything.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2363 on: November 02, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »

Also, Adams was endorsed by even the NY Post. I think people might be surprised by the amount of crossover support he could get. If however he gets little to none, might be more of a sign of how polarized the times are than anything.

That's because the most Republican parts of it got swamped by Hurricane Sandy and turnout plummeted.

We shall see though. I bet Silwa breaks 25% but that's normal for Republicans in an NYC mayoral election.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2364 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:26 PM »

It voted for Obama by the skin of its teeth in no small part due to the very good response his administration had to hurricane Sandy. But in terms of New York City politics, it is hardcore anytis hardcore anti Democrat, especially DE blasio
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #2365 on: November 02, 2021, 08:14:59 PM »

NYT calls it for Adams. Williams, Lander, and the 5 ballot proposals are ahead by similar margins. Not much to see here.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2366 on: November 02, 2021, 08:20:20 PM »

Does anyone know if all that's in so far is same day?

I ask because if so, and Adams still has a 55 point lead bigger than BOTH of de Blasio's wins, then WOW.

Also would be helpful to know where most of the votes have come from, of course.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2367 on: November 02, 2021, 08:26:26 PM »

Does anyone have the results from all the candidates?
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #2368 on: November 02, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »

Does anyone know if all that's in so far is same day?

I ask because if so, and Adams still has a 55 point lead bigger than BOTH of de Blasio's wins, then WOW.

Also would be helpful to know where most of the votes have come from, of course.

Not sure on the first point but at the moment only about 9% of Staten Island is in, compared to 17-25% of the other boroughs.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2369 on: November 02, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »

Does anyone have the results from all the candidates?

NYT has all candidates:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/02/us/elections/results-nyc-mayor.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-elections-2020&region=TOP_BANNER&context=election_recirc
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2370 on: November 02, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

Adams lead just keeps going up though, damn, over 82% now. VERY nice. I think he's doing well enough in Staten Island that even if a lot of what's outstanding is there (and as the smallest borough, the votes there are largely dwarfed by the others anyway) he still could beat de Blasio's wins.

Well, at least SOMEONE showed up tonight for the Dems! Maybe he's the future of the Democratic Party after all...
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2371 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:01 PM »

I’m blocked, but refreshing it lets me peek at it

That 3% for Rojas is basically the overall left vote from prior elections dampened by Covid making electoral work for a party’s first try difficult.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2372 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:19 PM »

I’m blocked, but refreshing it lets me peek at it

That 3% for Rojas is basically the overall left vote from prior elections dampened by Covid making electoral work for a party’s first try difficult.

The trick is to press the escape button before it fully loads and the paywall comes up but after you start to see the results in text
You'll even be able to view the county results and map Wink
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2373 on: November 02, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »

Around 50% of NYC reported.

Adams leads Sliwa 66.5%-28.9%. Williams and Lander running a bit ahead of Adams.

Sliwa is carrying Staten Island, the next closest is Queens (58% Adams to 38% Sliwa).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2374 on: November 02, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »

Well, at least SOMEONE showed up tonight for the Dems! Maybe he's the future of the Democratic Party after all...

Can we please stop pretending that one of the most corrupt and cynical politicians in the modern Democratic party is the future of the American left because he received the backing of the entire New York political machine and managed to defeat an unknown technocrat by 1% of the vote in the Democratic primary?

The fact that this guy who was--on paper--more favored than any other candidate in the race and scraped through a primary by saying a couple correct things on policing and crime does not mean he's some political genius uniquely capable of generating a permanent majority for the Democratic party. It's NYC. Winning the general doesn't count as an accomplishment.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies