NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:46:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126705 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: June 30, 2021, 05:20:00 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2021, 05:28:11 PM by KaiserDave »

Exactly these incompetently run elections undermine trust and confidence and make it seem like Trump's BS of election fraud may be sort of true. New York state and the city are a disgrace when it comes to managing elections properly. Not want to sound lecturing here, but sometimes I think you guys just should get out and let us Europeans run your elections. We don't have the issues.

Forget Europe. Florida does it completely right.

Ah yes, Florida, that bastion of....election efficiency and fairness....

In 2018, Florida completed an initial count, an automatic recount and a statewide hand recount, in a general election with ten times as many ballots, in less time than it will take NYC to complete their initial count. Have you considered getting your own house in order?

Only someone who didn’t read any of this topic or my posts here would deduce that I don’t entirely despise the NYCBOE. They are a hive of incompetence, patronage, and mass stupidity. The NY elections system is a corrupt disaster.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2026 on: June 30, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »

What happens if the two lowest candidates after any round are tied?

Who knows? Were the final result tied, it'd constitute a vacancy in the nomination that'd be filled by the NYC Democratic Executive Committee, but it'd just be completely f**king bonkers if there was a tied result in-between round-reallocations.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2027 on: June 30, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2028 on: June 30, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2029 on: June 30, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »

Under no circumstances should this have ever existed in any universe ever
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2030 on: June 30, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »

I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, that gif is.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2031 on: June 30, 2021, 06:42:51 PM »

So we were pretty much correct in our assumptions yesterday about exhaust rates etc.?

Yeah, this seems like Garcia's to lose now. Should have enough to pass Adams and should also do better than Wiley in remainder to clinch the final round spot.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2032 on: June 30, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »

New York can be dumb and stupid all on its own without us having to give credence to the latest round of "here's why our trying to steal the election was okay!"

This is the rational response. It's an apples to oranges comparison. in no way does this incident of frustrating incompetence resemble any of the vote counting in 2020 which was almost entirely flawless, minus some slow counts here and there in some places, no matter how much Republicans might want to believe otherwise. It's asinine for this blunder to in any way make anyone want to give even the slightest bit of legitimacy to our country's transformation into an autocratic state where GOP controlled legislatures can overturn election results they disagree with.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2033 on: June 30, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2021, 12:51:05 AM by "?" »

It turns out the Yang/Garcia alliance probably was the thing that put her over the edge, too.

Very fitting given how much vitriol/hatred Yang & his supporters got over the last few months here.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2034 on: June 30, 2021, 08:00:08 PM »

Does anyone have the final round numbers by borough? I'd imagine Garcia won Manhattan and maybe even Staten?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2035 on: June 30, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »

Does anyone have the final round numbers by borough? I'd imagine Garcia won Manhattan and maybe even Staten?
I expect so. Plausibly Queens--even though she came in fourth in the first round. I'm very curious about that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2036 on: June 30, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »

This whole electoral count mess shows that election reform is needed.

What a shame.

Did Adams win Staten Island?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2037 on: June 30, 2021, 09:28:05 PM »

If Adams loses the primary, does he wage a write in campaign?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2038 on: June 30, 2021, 09:34:13 PM »

Regretting giving Garcia any pref now, Adams is obviously better based on the demographics of their supporters.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2039 on: June 30, 2021, 09:53:17 PM »

As brucejoel has already announced, the BOE just released the corrected tabulations.

Adams leads 51.1% to 48.9%. So the blunder didn't change the final results.

Actually it could have changed the results, with the previous numbers slightly favoring Adams, as Garcia had to make up a bit more than 16,000 votes on absentees before but now only has to make up a little under 15,000 votes (because there are fewer total votes). That change is enough for me to say this is closer to Likely Garcia than Lean Garcia at this point.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2040 on: June 30, 2021, 09:55:51 PM »

New York can be dumb and stupid all on its own without us having to give credence to the latest round of "here's why our trying to steal the election was okay!"

This is the rational response. It's an apples to oranges comparison. in no way does this incident of frustrating incompetence resemble any of the vote counting in 2020 which was almost entirely flawless, minus some slow counts here and there in some places, no matter how much Republicans might want to believe otherwise. It's asinine for this blunder to in any way make anyone want to give even the slightest bit of legitimacy to our country's transformation into an autocratic state where GOP controlled legislatures can overturn election results they disagree with.

Also, it was caught almost immediately and fixed in a day, so no idea how this could be evidence of secret incompetence/fraud that changed the result of an even more high-profile election at a much larger scale.
Duke of York

« Reply #2041 on: June 30, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2021, 10:59:59 PM by Duke of York »

I doubt it.  He wouldn’t want to risk electing Silwa
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2042 on: June 30, 2021, 10:54:25 PM »

No, Trump does not have a point at all. Yes, NYBOE is incompetent but it doesn't look like they committed fraud, tried to steal an election, threw out ballots, or made that serious of an error.

Clearly there was no intentional fraud here.
But the NYBOE did make a very serious error.  In some sense, they were fortunate that the error was so egregious that it was almost immediately noticed by outside observers.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2043 on: June 30, 2021, 11:02:43 PM »

A bureaucrat or a cop is better than a gang leader, and it is irresponsible not to vote for the one with a higher chance over said gang leader.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2044 on: July 01, 2021, 01:57:00 AM »

Eyeballing the DFP poll (since it seems to have landed the result), the Garcia/Yang collaboration was a huge success. If my Math is right, Garcia got almost 60% of Yang's second choices in their sample (and over 70% if we exclude the exhausted ballots). I wonder what this means about his ultra-orthodox Jewish support. Either they did not monolithically have Adams as their second choice as we thought, or they in fact did but were overwhelmed by Asians having Garcia as their second choice in a similarly lopsided way.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2045 on: July 01, 2021, 05:31:12 AM »

I’m not 100% sure of that. The guy literally declared himself the ‘future of the Democratic party’ this week. If you’ve got that high an opinion of yourself, maybe it’s enough to decide that the city needs you, RCV be damned.

I still think it’s unlikely, but given how quick Adams was to attack the voting process once it became clear this race was still unresolved, I’m not gonna rule it out.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2046 on: July 01, 2021, 06:17:19 AM »

Even if Adams runs a write-in campaign, there's no way Silwa is elected. Silwa isn't a moderate like Giuliani was (at the time) or Bloomberg. He's a hard-right conservative that wouldn't win more than maybe Staten Island, even in a three-way race.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2047 on: July 01, 2021, 07:26:28 AM »

It sure is, but again that’s not gonna stop people from doing it anyway.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2048 on: July 01, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »

Eyeballing the DFP poll (since it seems to have landed the result), the Garcia/Yang collaboration was a huge success. If my Math is right, Garcia got almost 60% of Yang's second choices in their sample (and over 70% if we exclude the exhausted ballots). I wonder what this means about his ultra-orthodox Jewish support. Either they did not monolithically have Adams as their second choice as we thought, or they in fact did but were overwhelmed by Asians having Garcia as their second choice in a similarly lopsided way.

One potential risk for Garcia in the absentee count is that most absentees were voted before her alliance with Yang, so Yang preferences may not flow to her as strongly in early absentees. Not sure if we have that info from early votes to see how transfers worked before Yang cross-endorsed.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2049 on: July 01, 2021, 08:43:37 AM »

Garcia is who I would have voted for if forced to choose between these candidates by the way, so I’ll be mildly and pleasantly surprised if she pulls it out after all as it now looks she’s favored to do.

Hopefully she can do something about the city’s rat problem as a former sanitation commissioner; according to her, de Blasio obstructed her efforts to exterminate those vermin. With her in charge, maybe NYC will finally get the rat genocide it deserves. One can hope!
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies