NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127096 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:49 PM »

Calling it now: if he has national aspirations, Adams is the Democratic Trump. Or at least the Democratic Giuliani.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=452569.0

Cuomo has already proven himself to be the Democratic Trump, but maybe there's room for another.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1801 on: June 24, 2021, 06:51:22 PM »

i dont think he is wrong on this

come 2022 we are definitely going to see more dems sound more like him and less like the people who are on twitter tweeting nonsense like defunding the police....
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1802 on: June 24, 2021, 07:11:00 PM »

Can Adams win places like Howard Beach and Staten Island in the general election with a tough on crime, anti-elite appeal? Or will they see him as "too black" and vote for the Republican no matter what?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1803 on: June 24, 2021, 07:18:54 PM »

Is Curtis Silwa trying to run on a vaguely economically populist platform:

Lognog
United States

« Reply #1804 on: June 24, 2021, 07:34:02 PM »

Is Curtis Silwa trying to run on a vaguely economically populist platform:

Heartbreaking: The worst person you know made a great point
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1805 on: June 24, 2021, 07:45:53 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 07:55:49 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I think it's a mistake to see parallels between Koch and Adams. Ed Koch is a classic reformist/"clean politics" liberal who drifted towards the right over the course of his career, a rather typical trajectory for politicians of his type swept into office in the 1960s and 1970s.  Eric Adams is a political chameleon and opportunist of the old school (19th Century), a classic working class/"common man" politician who is basically self-schooled and plays the game to earn his bread - these people do not exist anymore! Even in the distant past, they weren't particularly common.

This is all to say: yes, I think Adams' victory is important and very meaningful nor does it represent what his critics or "friends" think it does. Adams has articulated the meaning of his victory in the eyes of his supporters. The point of his victory is that New Yorkers want a Mayor who both looks like them and who is working class, who understands their concerns.  

Here are some ads that nicely sum up his campaign:

https://youtu.be/CLXuSHoj1Z0

https://youtu.be/1NlyTLdR-iY

I honestly expect that he'll be a mediocre or possibly an awful Mayor but the alternatives were just as bad. The benefit of Adams winning is that it's an expression of alienation and disgust with Democrat voice.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1806 on: June 24, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »

Koch was also a die-hard Manhattanite and Adams is the antithesis of Manhattan.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1807 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:14 PM »

Koch was also a die-hard Manhattanite and Adams is the antithesis of Manhattan.

I think this really controversial comment nicely sums up Eric Adams as a politician and why he was victorious:
"You were here before Starbucks, you were here before others came and decided they wanted to be part of this city. Folks are not only hijacking your apartments and displacing your living arrangements, they displaced your conversations and said that things that are important to you are no longer important and they decide what's important and what's not important. Go back to Iowa, you go back to Ohio. New York City belongs to the people that were here and made New York City what it is. I'm a New Yorker. I protected this city. I have a right to put my voice in how this city should run." - Eric Adams

Reminds me a lot of angry talk about limousine liberals coming from the white ethnics!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1808 on: June 24, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »

Will Eric Adams win Staten Island in the GE?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1809 on: June 24, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »

A bit like the Rob Ford phenomenon in Toronto too, a culturally conservative, populist diverse working class coalition of the periphery.  
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1810 on: June 24, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »

That's a good question.  Is racial polarization too salient in NYC, or can a diverse conservative-populist coalition be built?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1811 on: June 24, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »

That's a good question.  Is racial polarization too salient in NYC, or can a diverse conservative-populist coalition be built?
If it counts for anything, Bronz claimed that Adams would win Staten Island if nominated.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1812 on: June 24, 2021, 09:01:50 PM »

Absentee ballots are coming in after e-day. There were 87K returned by e-day but now they're at 116K, out of the ~200K absentee ballots that were sent out that could still be returned and counted.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1813 on: June 24, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »

I get that some absentee ballots may need to be cured, but that will be a tiny percentage of said votes.  Why cannot they count and release the absentee ballots that does not need to be cured versus releasing results at the end of the curing process.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1814 on: June 24, 2021, 10:02:07 PM »

Is there a good results map somewhere? Don't want to give money to the N*w Y*rk T*mes.

Cinyc has an interactive map on RRH.

Yeah, I did. Sorry for not cross-posting it here before election night. It was a bit of a technological miracle that it worked at all (and required a little bit of manual input while I was simultaneously trying to write the RRH election night live blog). NYC's precinct results are in 65 separate tables that need to be scraped for each race (I mapped D & R mayor). Google Sheets was choking on the task. I used Excel to get the data into my homemade svg map solution. Fun times!

Anyway, enough boring technical talk. ICYMI, the permalink is here:
https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/06/22/new-york-2021-primary-elections-liveblog-livemap

Thank you for the awesome map, sir.

That said, Can anyone point to actual final vote tallies? Even broken down to Garcia versus Adams final count pending absentees? Anything beyond that breaking it down by rounds of voting let alone by Borough would be amount of icing on the political nerd cake.

Do you mean the RCV vote count? No. Because NYC isn't even starting to run the RCV algorithms until next week. We're lame like that.

Here's a link to the first round count for all candidates:
https://web.enrboenyc.us/OF11CY0PY1.html
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1815 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:50 PM »

Despite progressive rethoric and his campagins focus on crime Adams is not the NYPD canidate. He was in facted hated by much of the NYPD for being outspoken against the department back in the day, their Union refused to endorse him telling their members that they should absoutley not rank him.

His chance of winning Staten Island is minimal.

Eric Adams has precisely zero appeal among republican white conservatives, his cultural conservatism is restricted to that of Partisan Democrats.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1816 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:15 PM »

Despite progressive rethoric and his campagins focus on crime Adams is not the NYPD canidate. He was in facted hated by much of the NYPD for being outspoken against the department back in the day, their Union refused to endorse him telling their members that they should absoutley not rank him.

His chance of winning Staten Island is minimal.

Eric Adams has precisely zero appeal among republican white conservatives, his cultural conservatism is restricted to that of Partisan Democrats.

Bill DeBlasio won Staten Island in 2013. I think it remains to be seen how much turnout Silwa can attract, but Staten Island isn't exactly a hard right region in terms of their politics either having voted for Democrats at the national and state levels previously.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1817 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »

De Blasio lost Staten Island in 2013 but it wasn't a blowout.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1818 on: June 24, 2021, 11:45:02 PM »

Democrats will need to pivot hard, nationally, to be tough on crime after this. Even their base voters in the Bronx are sick of the "defund" nonsense. Electoral disaster in 2022 awaits otherwise.
Lunatic take from these results - generic wfp progressives with no details given defund stances are crushing it.
Conservative greivance politics did not work in the council races anywhere. Adams won because hes put in work in the community for decades - no other candidate could say the same.

And meanwhile in Rochester... chanting  12 at a victory party. I love it Smiley https://twitter.com/WillCleveland13/status/1407541088169213953?s=20
On the Republican side we can. Curtis Sliwa has fought crime all his life, and he has survived assassination attempts by the Mafia & Gotti. Jr.
He's also a nut and a half.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1819 on: June 24, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »

come 2022 we are definitely going to see more dems sound more like him and less like the people who are on twitter tweeting nonsense like defunding the police....
Not a lot of dems sound like twitter anyway because they know that whatever some rando on twitter with a rose next to their name says is not really a big deal
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1820 on: June 24, 2021, 11:53:58 PM »

Not a lot of dems sound like twitter anyway because they know that whatever some rando on twitter with a rose next to their name says is not really a big deal

Yep. A major reason for why Biden was able to win the 2020 primary was because he understood this, and so did Adams.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1821 on: June 25, 2021, 04:51:15 AM »

I'm not his biggest fan, but I do think that there are some things that the Democrats can learn from him.
I mean he talks like a normal person, so he's got that going for him.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1822 on: June 25, 2021, 05:33:34 AM »

Adams needs to calm down. He didn't even win a third of the vote on the first round and when all is said and done, likely wont have a massive win against whoever comes in 2nd (also that small chance he doesn't win at all)... so he needs to stop acting like he just won with 50%+ of the vote
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1823 on: June 25, 2021, 07:57:00 AM »

Gotta admit, I like some of what he says here despite the vanity. Democrats probably should return more to being the party of working/common people and less the party of woke wine moms and such. That doesn’t mean we should go full populist/soccon or anything, or abandon intellect and our educated base. But it does mean we shouldn’t live in bubbles and ivory towers using rhetoric that alienates the very people we claim to be fighting for.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1824 on: June 25, 2021, 08:52:36 AM »

Gotta admit, I like some of what he says here despite the vanity. Democrats probably should return more to being the party of working/common people and less the party of woke wine moms and such. That doesn’t mean we should go full populist/soccon or anything, or abandon intellect and our educated base. But it does mean we shouldn’t live in bubbles and ivory towers using rhetoric that alienates the very people we claim to be fighting for.

who is doing that? a few members of the democratic party =/= the democratic party as a whole
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies