NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:12:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126920 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: June 22, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »

What's with the freaking stained-glass look of the precinct winner map in SW Queens?

Not a very residential area=weirdly unpopulated precincts=chaotic map.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1676 on: June 22, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »

Is it safe to say that Andrew Yang's political career is over?

How can something that never really began end?
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1677 on: June 22, 2021, 09:29:40 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 09:32:41 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

Real yikes moment for the Garcia team as Wiley starts to catch up for second place

https://web.enrboenyc.us/CD24306ADI0.html

10:10 P.M. Eastern

388,788 votes counted total

Adams: 116,522 - 29.97%
Garcia: 82989 - 21.35%
Wiley: 81196 - 20.88%
Yang: 46521 - 11.97%

Many of the recent polls did show Wiley leading Garcia in the first couple of rounds until, like, round six when Yang's voters pushed the latter ahead into the final. So, if the surveys are accurate, a third place finish in round one would not necessarily spell doom for the Garcia team.  

Thank God for that! Even if you aren't with Garcia you should take into account the fact that she does better than Wiley against Adams.

Just take this poll conducted by DFP Polling in the final days of the campaigns, where one of the first tidbits pointed out is that:

Eric Adams, Kathryn Garcia, and Maya Wiley are poised to be the final three candidates in the ranked-choice election for Mayor of New York City. Garcia and Wiley are neck-and-neck; the simulation suggests that if Garcia were to advance to the final round, she has a path to victory over Adams, while Adams would emerge victorious were Wiley to advance.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1678 on: June 22, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »

Interestingly, there actually seems to be a non-neglibile Stringer vote here...
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1679 on: June 22, 2021, 09:31:12 PM »

True. It'll be interesting when the inevitable New York Times obituary about Yang c. 2073 comes out, and what it will say. I'd imagine that he'll be largely forgotten by then.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #1680 on: June 22, 2021, 09:31:22 PM »

It happened in the 2010 Oakland mayor race.

Not that I think I know better than him, but Wasserman really seems to be jumping the gun here with less than 20% of the first round votes in.

It was a 10 point lead with 100% of the first round votes in Oakland.

Just to be clear, I was siding with you, not him on this. I think the RCV results could still end up like that Oakland race even if Adams ends up with a decently large lead in the first round.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1681 on: June 22, 2021, 09:32:21 PM »

Eh, never say never. I would've said that of Don Giovanni after Jan 20th, but we still get spammed with asinine DJT 2024 threads on here.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1682 on: June 22, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »

True. It'll be interesting when the inevitable New York Times obituary about Yang c. 2073 comes out, and what it will say. I'd imagine that he'll be largely forgotten by then.
Yang is still young and he clearly has political ambitions. It's not safe to assume his political career is over.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1683 on: June 22, 2021, 09:33:51 PM »

Remember Jon Ossoff?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1684 on: June 22, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »

Anyway, it's a lot easier to comment on coalitions now:

Adams: Nearly all black voters, other than the young and highly educated. A significant portion of Hispanic voters but not as dominant as among black voters. Orthodox Jews, but not ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Garcia: Middle and upper-income white liberal voters, especially over the age of 30, and conservative non-Jewish white voters (i.e., excluding all Orthodox Jews).
Wiley: Young, liberal, highly educated voters of all ethnicities but especially young white voters, and some other Hispanic voters.
Yang: Asian voters and ultra-Orthodox Jews and nobody else.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1685 on: June 22, 2021, 09:35:44 PM »

Remember Jon Ossoff?

Losing once is a bit different from losing twice. If Ossoff lost in January, it would be safe to say his career would be over.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1686 on: June 22, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »

Nah, he'll probably keep trying to grow Humanity Forward & staying directly involved with politics like he did in GA. He might run again for something too; he doesn't seem the type to be content with just sitting on the side-lines forever.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1687 on: June 22, 2021, 09:36:27 PM »

Adams: Nearly all black voters, other than the young and highly educated. A significant portion of Hispanic voters but not as dominant as among black voters. Orthodox Jews, but not ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Garcia: Middle and upper-income white liberal voters, especially over the age of 30, and conservative non-Jewish white voters (i.e., excluding all Orthodox Jews).
Wiley: Young, liberal, highly educated voters of all ethnicities but especially young white voters, and some other Hispanic voters.

Wiley does seem to be quite dominant in the Queens part of NY-14.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1688 on: June 22, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »

Remember Jon Ossoff?

Ossoff barely lost a general election in a rapidly D-trending district in a rapidly D-trending state.

Yang failed spectacularly in a primary race that was supposed to be his to lose, after already flopping in an overambitious presidential run.

I don’t think it’s comparable.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1689 on: June 22, 2021, 09:38:33 PM »

Can someone explain again why exactly Yang is dominating with ultra-Orthodox Jews?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1690 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »

Can someone explain again why exactly Yang is dominating with ultra-Orthodox Jews?

He came out in strong support of Israel.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1691 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:53 PM »

But I thought the ultra-Orthodox Jews were the ones least likely to be Zionist?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1692 on: June 22, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »

If you combine the Yang/Wiley/Garcia vote it's literally whites/Asians against Hispanics/blacks (Adams).

The map follows the racial demography of the city pretty closely.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1693 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »

He promised to leave their brain-washing centers(schools) alone and not to interfere with them. Because apparently forcing them to teach students actual skills like maths and reading is anti-semitic tyranny.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1694 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:59 PM »

He came out in strong support of Israel yeshivas.

*FTFY. That's what the ultra-Orthodox bloc cared more about than anything else in this race.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1695 on: June 22, 2021, 09:43:33 PM »

Eyeballing it, but Wiley seems to be running an (incredibly distant) second to Adams in many of the predominantly black precincts, which indicates that she's probably doing (comparatively speaking) well with younger black voters as well.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1696 on: June 22, 2021, 09:44:33 PM »

He promised to leave their brain-washing centers(schools) alone and not to interfere with them. Because apparently forcing them to teach students actual skills like maths and reading is anti-semitic tyranny.
I’m confused, so can’t they teach them primary subjects in Yiddish or Hebrew then? Do they not have the teachers for that?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1697 on: June 22, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »

He got Rabbinic endorsements, so the community followed their lead. Stringer also got a few, which is why he's doing well in some Hasidic neighborhoods. Now why yang got those endorsements, probably because he courted the community early, especially on the Yeshiva issue.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1698 on: June 22, 2021, 09:45:12 PM »

Remember Jon Ossoff?

Ossoff barely lost a general election in a rapidly D-trending district in a rapidly D-trending state.

Yang failed spectacularly in a primary race that was supposed to be his to lose, after already flopping in an overambitious presidential run.

I don’t think it’s comparable.
I don't think there are many scenarios where Yang just waltzs into the New York mayoralty just one year after running for president - too many ambitious Dem officeholders who would run for it too even with its rather diminished and limited potential being what it is. Frankly, people thinking Yang was very, very likely to win clearly didn't understand structurally the way the primary would likely settle in practice, with Yang profitting a lot from his name rec early on only for it to even it out later.
It's not Yang's fault that he had leads very unlikely to be sustained.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1699 on: June 22, 2021, 09:45:28 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies