NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:29:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127617 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: June 18, 2021, 04:43:07 AM »

Yang won the debate last night. I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and vote for anyone other than him. He owned Eric Adams when Eric denied that he asked for the police unions endorsement (he did).

Stringer made so many poor faith attacks against Yang. It’s pathetic. He knows he’s going to lose. Stringer asked Yang for "specifics" for some reason, even though Yang has the most detailed and pragmatic platform of any candidate.

Yang will be the next mayor of New York City, unless the misinformation and manipulation is strong enough to dupe voters. If that’s the case, he’ll be the next Governor.
I'm a Yang fan, but it's not looking likely at this point...
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1401 on: June 18, 2021, 05:03:21 AM »

Yang won the debate last night. I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and vote for anyone other than him. He owned Eric Adams when Eric denied that he asked for the police unions endorsement (he did).

Stringer made so many poor faith attacks against Yang. It’s pathetic. He knows he’s going to lose. Stringer asked Yang for "specifics" for some reason, even though Yang has the most detailed and pragmatic platform of any candidate.

Yang will be the next mayor of New York City, unless the misinformation and manipulation is strong enough to dupe voters. If that’s the case, he’ll be the next Governor.
I'm a Yang fan, but it's not looking likely at this point...

To be fair with RCV the margin of error is enough that he might get more transfers, who knows what happens.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1402 on: June 18, 2021, 07:03:07 AM »

You know what following this race semi-closely has taught me?

New York politics are f**king insane.

Seems fairly normal? What's insane about it?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1403 on: June 18, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »

Poor Ray McGuire. All the weekslong discussions regarding Yang, Adams, Morales, Wiley, Garcia, Stringer & I don't think his name has ever been brought up at all.

The guy has little charisma and he thought you could buy a house in Brooklyn for $90,000.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1404 on: June 18, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 11:05:26 AM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

I read through Ballotpedia's article on the New York City Mayoral election and I like Garcia the best, and especially her stances on affordable housing, reopening the economy, and crime.

Recovery

Reopen to stay open.

Kathryn is ready to lead the best city in the world to a better tomorrow. The core of Kathryn’s recovery plan is meaningful economic relief and job pathways for the most vulnerable New Yorkers, a plan for small businesses to reopen and stay open, and a green future.

Meaningful economic relief and job pathways for the most vulnerable New Yorkers Free childcare for children aged 0-3 for families making under 70K a year A single small business City Permit to eliminate bureaucracy Launch CrowdsourceNYC to provide zero interest microloans to small businesses Universal broadband for all Restore 24/7 Subway service Fix the broken bureaucracy of City government

Climate Change

Kathryn has been at the front lines of fighting climate change for her entire career. Kathryn’s a comprehensive five borough approach with the right resiliency strategies for every community that will right past wrongs and move New York City to a fully renewable energy economy starting on day one.

Convert Rikers into a renewable energy zone Restore curbside organics recycling Install 3,000 electric car chargers citywide Convert DOE roofs to green roofs

Housing That Heals

Health and housing are linked. Residents who do not have stable or quality housing are less healthy. Safe, secure, affordable housing is a basic human right. Kathryn will focus the City’s housing agenda on outcomes. Kathryn will address street homelessness with urgency and compassion. As NYC Recovers we need housing that heals and increased affordability. Create 50,000 units of deeply affordable housing End apartment bans and discriminatory zoning Move from a shelter strategy to permanent housing strategy Execute NYCHA's Blueprint for Change and get apartments fixed Make it fast, easy and legal for private partners to build more housing

Crime & Police Reform

Driving down crime and police reform are not in conflict with one another. We all need to feel safe. Black Lives Matter. Kettling is wrong. If you break the rules, you get fired. Driving down crime and police reform are not in conflict with one another. what it’s going to take to keep our communities safe and reform the NYPD. Kathryn’s plan will drive down crime and restore trust in the NYPD.

Address root causes of violence and fund Cure Violence groups Zero tolerance for rule infractions Increase recruitment age from 21 to 25 Reward officers for driving down crime--not number of arrests made

Education

Education is about building a more equitable city. Our kids deserve the best education that we can give them, and our parents deserve to feel at ease with the process, not stressed.

Accelerate our Universal Literacy goal to 2023 City employment guarantee for CUNY and trade schools Implement universal broadband

Transportation

Public transportation is the heartbeat of New York. We must ensure that our public spaces serve the public first. Kathryn’s transportation plan is the most climate focused plan. A safe, reliable and efficient transportation system will power our recovery.

Electrify 10,000 school buses Create permanent open streets Expand protected bike lane network by 250 miles One-swipe in-city network for LIRR + MetroNorth

Health

A healthy city is one where all New Yorkers get the care they need, when they need it. That means improving access to regular, affordable healthcare, but also affordable housing, quality jobs, and clean air. Kathryn’s holistic approach will ensure that no New Yorker has to delay needed care due to cost or accessibility.

Reduce wait times for appointments for primary care to less than 10 days Bring health care closer to your home with coordinated care teams and telehealth Expand late night and weekend healthcare services Improve coordination across public and private healthcare systems Make claiming benefits and navigating services the fastest, easiest, and most people-centered in the country Close the maternal mortality gap Expand healthcare infrastructure in historically underserved neighborhoods Increase mental health services for our youth and educators Reduce response times for mobile crisis teams and better serve New Yorkers living with serious mental illness Shorten the commute to buy or pick up healthy food

What are the chances of her winning? Do you all think she can pull it off?

If I could vote, I'd go something like this (#2 through #4 in flux):

[ 1 ] Garcia
[ 2 ] Donovan
[ 3 ] Yang
[ 4 ] Wiley
[ 5 ] Adams
[ 6 ] Not Stringer (rapists begone)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1405 on: June 18, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »

Rankings if I were a NYC resident

1. Garcia
2. Donovan
3. Wiley
4. Yang
5. McGuire
6. Stringer
7. Adams
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1406 on: June 18, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »

1. Wiley
2. Stringer
3. lol
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1407 on: June 18, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »

Y'all are probably tired of hearing about PredictIt betting odds, but Yang is getting dangerously close to only being in single digits...
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1408 on: June 18, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 03:02:53 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

Y'all are probably tired of hearing about PredictIt betting odds, but Yang is getting dangerously close to only being in single digits...

I'm not getting tired, thanks for keeping us all updated!

Anyway who do you all think wins the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish community? Yang and Adams both have made plays and they are a unified, fast-growing constituency who typically vote as a bloc.

Do you all think Yang or Adams does better among them? And how instrumental will they be for victory?

I can see maybe a lot of them doing Yang and Adams as #1 and #2.

Also I made a thread for predictions. Join us!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1409 on: June 18, 2021, 04:01:31 PM »

I'm not getting tired, thanks for keeping us all updated!

Anyway who do you all think wins the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish community? Yang and Adams both have made plays and they are a unified, fast-growing constituency who typically vote as a bloc.

Do you all think Yang or Adams does better among them? And how instrumental will they be for victory?

I can see maybe a lot of them doing Yang and Adams as #1 and #2.

Also I made a thread for predictions. Join us!

The community from the top down looks like a block, but it is really a mess of separate blocks that each follow their own Rabbis or community leaders. They usually all find themselves supporting the same candidate, but not this time. Yang has some endorsements, Adams more - especially in the Flatbush/south Brooklyn area.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1410 on: June 18, 2021, 04:30:01 PM »

Rankings if I could vote:

1. Garcia
2. Donovan
3. Yang
4. Wiley
5. McGuire (don't care here, literally just the last non-joke, non-union-busting, non-sexual assaulting, non-Adams pick left)

It seems odd that all of these simulated ranked-ballot polls only show the last hypothetical face-off. Even the best polls have a margin of error of a few points: it would be nice to see how the simulated ballot might end up if, say, the last round is Adams-Wiley. Of the polls taken this month, Emerson showed a 41-30-29 race; Change showed a 37-33-30 race; Schoen Cooperman showed a 40-32-28; Public Opinion showed a 38-33-29 race; and Marist showed a 43-30-27 race. The common factor (besides Adams in first): Wiley was third place in all of them and never by more than a few percentage points. It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to say that the polls might be a little off or that Wiley continues gaining enough steam to get that 1-4 percent.

In any event, it's becoming pretty clear that the polling on this race is just too all-over-the-place for everybody-but-Adams to - in the absence of further corroborating polling - reach any conclusion other than that much of the data is presumably garbage. For one, the MoE's just don't seem trustable on these polls: the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th-ranking candidates all still seem like they could have decent shots here. Indeed, Adams may be the clear front-runner, but it looks like Garcia, Wiley, & Yang all still have about an equal shot to be the runner-up, depending on who it is exactly that shows up to vote (& if it shakes out well, RCV can obviously boost 2nd-place in the 1st round to victory). Although I guess that Adams wins in the end, the odds thereof aren't as good as the odds were on something like the 2016 presidential election, which were "wrong" too.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1411 on: June 18, 2021, 04:57:46 PM »

Slingshot Strategies allegedly has Yang beating Adams in the early vote so far 20-19

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1412 on: June 18, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »

^
Don't mean a thing without the RCV numbers. Which is probably why the Yang campaign only included the first round
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1413 on: June 18, 2021, 06:22:21 PM »

I am actually grateful that I am not a New Yorker and don't need to make a decision in this race. But, what the hell? I'll list how I would vote if I could because I think I finally decided who I most prefer.

1. Garcia: in all honesty, she would make the best actual mayor.
2. Wiley: probably the candidate I agree the most with.
3. Donovan?
4. Yang?
5. ?

I really don't know with three through five. I wish Scott Stringer wasn't an alleged creep, because he would probably be among my top three if he wasn't.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1414 on: June 18, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »

Sounds like Garcia and Yang are cross-endorsing each other. A substantial amount of Yang's supporters are defecting to Adams in RCV simulations, so this will probably help Garcia a lot.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1415 on: June 18, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »

1. Garcia
2. Yang
3. Wiley
4. Donovan
5. Chang or Prince
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1416 on: June 19, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »

The cross-endorsement is happening.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1417 on: June 19, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »

Yet another reason to at least rank Yang as 5th, even if one really doesn't like him, in order to just try & stop Adams:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1418 on: June 19, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1419 on: June 19, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 12:06:30 PM by Oryxslayer »

Yang tells his supporters to rank Garcia second. This could be make-or-break moment for Adams' frontrunner status, given Yang's support seems to split 50-50ish between Adams and Garcia/Wiley. OTOH, it may be too late to matter.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1420 on: June 19, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »

At this point, it does seem more and more likely that Adams will win the first round easily and then slip behind Garcia by a thin margin at the conclusion of all the rounds, which is probably the most purely chaotic outcome.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1421 on: June 19, 2021, 11:58:11 AM »

Yang tells his supporters to rank Garcia second. This could be make-or-break moment for Adams' frontrunner status, given his support seems to split 50-50ish between Adams and Garcia/Wiley. OTOH, it may be too late to matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is one of these bolded "Adams'" supposed to say "Yang" instead?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1422 on: June 19, 2021, 11:58:22 AM »

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1423 on: June 19, 2021, 11:59:13 AM »

Slingshot Strategies allegedly has Yang beating Adams in the early vote so far 20-19

Slingshot is Yangs internal so take that with a massive grain of salt
The mental health comments were really bad I don't think I can support Yang anymore id still rank him higher than Adams but yeah now id support Maya Wiley as my first pref not sure how id rank everyone else.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1424 on: June 19, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »

Yang tells his supporters to rank Garcia second. This could be make-or-break moment for Adams' frontrunner status, given his support seems to split 50-50ish between Adams and Garcia/Wiley. OTOH, it may be too late to matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is one of these bolded "Adams'" supposed to say "Yang" instead?

The "his" needed to be Yang for better clarity.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies