NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127658 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: June 16, 2021, 06:50:45 PM »

Lol Dianne. I wish I was harder on her before the scandal, she was a terrible candidate then too, all she did was master the leftist lingo, while concealing her terrible record as a manager and CEO. I said she wasn't ready to be Mayor though, and I was right.

Here's hoping Garcia, Yang, or Wiley or anybody not named Stringer can beat Eric Adams.

#ABA
#AnybodybutAdams
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1376 on: June 16, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 09:23:41 PM by Pyro »

Yang seems to have put his foot in his mouth again with several poorly worded responses that appear to target people with mental illnesses for why homelessness is so prevalent in NYC.

Yang, earlier: "Half of the attacks on Asian New Yorkers have been by the violently mentally ill. Yes, mentally ill people have rights, but you know who else has rights? We do, the people and families of the city. We have the right to walk the street and not fear for our safety because of mentally ill person is going to lash out at us. The fact is, mentally ill homeless men are changing the character of our neighborhoods."
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1377 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:48 PM »

Dear God, as someone who works and volunteers in the mental health field — put a fork in him. He’s over. What an absolutely disgusting mischaracterization of mental illness.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1378 on: June 16, 2021, 10:31:45 PM »

What the f***
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1379 on: June 16, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »

YANG: Sally I want to ADDRESS this issue.
[GOLDENBERG nods]
YANG: You KNOW mentally ill people have rights.
GOLDENBERG: Absolutely.
YANG: BUT!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1380 on: June 16, 2021, 10:42:36 PM »

Damn, he's an even bigger gaffe machine than Uncle Joe.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1381 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:09 PM »

Yang gonna win East Asians, Satmars, and nobody else at this rate.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1382 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »

Yang is trying to boogeyman mentally ill people to win? Does he think New York is just an episode of Law and Order?Huh
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1383 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:45 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 11:09:32 PM by khuzifenq »

Dear God, as someone who works and volunteers in the mental health field — put a fork in him. He’s over. What an absolutely disgusting mischaracterization of mental illness.

Yeah this isn't a good look for him. I'm pretty sure this is in the context of looking at anti-Asian hate crimes from a mental health perspective though (as opposed to a racial perspective).

Quote from: AAD
If I am being honest, I don't think that bigotry against Asians is much of a problem in general (which is not to say that it doesn't exist or anything like that - it clearly does) and I am also very suspicious of the supposed increase in anti-Asian hate crimes, which strikes me as Stamp's law in action and also, if I am being more honest, a reflection of Asian prejudice against Blacks. If you are looking for racist motives when you previously ignored them, you might suddenly find lots of cases that could be labeled as hate crimes when, really, they are examples of vicious anti-social behavior of criminals who aren't really motivated by racial animus - they just have no values or morals, while also being influenced enough by background racism to say something prejudiced to their victim, even though they'd attack a Mexican woman as soon as they'd attack a Chinese woman. Overall, I view this phenomenon as being similar to the phenomenon of Trump supposedly causing an increasing in racist bullying in schools - I guarantee this was a function of teachers paying more attention. I was constantly called racial slurs in school in the 2000s. I just thought that was normal and thus never talked about it with authority figures.

This is not to dismiss the problems of vicious criminal behavior. Asians are clearly being victimized more and more by crime, which is increasing substantially in some cities. Asians have every reason to be concerned about this. It's important to see it for what it is though: if you think it's driven by racist hatred and not by the motives of anti-social predators, that is pretty likely to cause communalist animosity, increase racial resentment and conflict etc. If you see it for what it actually is, there are easy solutions that can bring people of all backgrounds together: take crime very seriously and work to reduce it using all levers available.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1384 on: June 16, 2021, 11:10:25 PM »

Even Californian neoliberals don't seem to blame mental illness for homeless people existing. They'll blame Texas (Newsom) or some random NIMBY and never Prop. 13. But they know better than to claim we can just wave homelessness away magically like Yang thinks we can.
Babeuf

« Reply #1385 on: June 16, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »

Jesus... I was going to rank Yang 5th as a last ditch anti-Adams vote (along with Garcia 4th), but not sure I can bring myself to do it now.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1386 on: June 17, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

Yang supporters, what is you doing?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1387 on: June 17, 2021, 12:43:37 AM »

Jesus. This guy is the opposite of mayor material.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1388 on: June 17, 2021, 06:38:22 AM »

Watching Yang and Adams duke it out for most evil candidate in this race has been so bizarre. I think Yang takes the cake here for saying that all? most? a majority of? homeless people are mentally ill. That's incredible.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #1389 on: June 17, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »

I have worried for a long time that the growing tendency to define any unexplained violence as symptomatic of "mental illness" would encourage thinking of the kind that Yang's comment betrays. We have gone so far in medicalizing deviance that people are losing their ability to make that distinction.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1390 on: June 17, 2021, 11:45:36 AM »

Yang won the debate last night. I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and vote for anyone other than him.

Yang will be the next mayor of New York City, unless the misinformation and manipulation is strong enough to dupe voters. If that’s the case, he’ll be the next Governor.
Hope you get to understanding rather quickly, as it's less than a week until he places fourth.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1391 on: June 17, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »

I applaud Yang for wanting to pour resources into the number of psych beds, which would de-facto bring institutionalization back and would ultimately be a good thing. At the same time, the mentality he evinces is both terrifying and despicable, betraying both an inability to understand mental illness and its consequences. Homelessness is as much a cause of mental illness as an effect of mental illness. Simply housing the mentally ill would go a long way towards reducing their symptoms and this is even true for those with schizophrenia or a more extreme form of bipolar disorder.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1392 on: June 17, 2021, 01:46:30 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2021, 01:50:36 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

It's nice to see that people are finally coming to the realization that Andrew Yang is a terrible politician and not the next Obama, like some have heralded him to be. He's still better than Adams, of course.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1393 on: June 17, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2021, 06:35:12 PM by Oryxslayer »

Memerson. Also Wiley just barely loses to Garcia in the final allotment. Data-wise, its a second poll that confirms Morales is in the dumpster. Yang has a comparatively sizable base but gets next to no transfers.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #1394 on: June 17, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »

It seems odd that all of these simulated ranked-ballot polls only show the last hypothetical face-off. Even the best polls have a margin of error of a few points: it would be nice to see how the simulated ballot might end up if, say, the last round is Adams-Wiley. Of the polls taken this month, Emerson showed a 41-30-29 race; Change showed a 37-33-30 race; Schoen Cooperman showed a 40-32-28; Public Opinion showed a 38-33-29 race; and Marist showed a 43-30-27 race. The common factor (besides Adams in first): Wiley was third place in all of them and never by more than a few percentage points. It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to say that the polls might be a little off or that Wiley continues gaining enough steam to get that 1-4 percent.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1395 on: June 17, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/outrage-pandemic-racism-may-boost-asian-american-voter-turnout-nyc-rcna1201

Now, ahead of next week's mayoral and City Council primaries in New York City, community leaders say outrage over anti-Asian racism and excitement about the historic bids of Andrew Yang and other Asian American candidates could similarly boost the group’s participation in local elections.

“People are starting to understand that the next step to directing your energy against anti-Asian hate is to vote and talk to elected officials,” Christine Chen, executive director of the national civic engagement organization APIAVote, told NBC Asian America. “They’re the ones who are going to resource mental health capabilities. They’re the ones who can help incorporate Asian American history into the K-12 curriculum.”

The rise in bias incidents over the past year has “incited more interest about how policy can play a role in keeping our community members safe,” said Sandra Choi, civic participation manager at the MinKwon Center for Community Action, a Flushing-based grassroots group that serves working-class Korean and Asian communities.

The new voting process, which allows New Yorkers to select up to five candidates on the ballot, has in some ways pushed mayoral and City Council hopefuls to engage with racial and ethnic groups that fall outside their base, said Howard Shih, research and policy director at the nonprofit organization Asian American Federation.

“There’s a lot more interest from candidates to reach out to Asian American voters as much as possible,” he said.

To educate voters about ranked-choice voting — and the importance of picking five candidates instead of just one — the organization produced a tutorial video that has been translated into multiple Asian languages, including Mandarin, Tagalog and Bangla. It also organized a mayoral forum in which candidates discussed the most pressing issues for the Asian American electorate, including initiatives to combat anti-Asian hate, support small businesses and create more culturally competent services.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
« Reply #1396 on: June 18, 2021, 12:24:14 AM »

Yang seems to have put his foot in his mouth again with several poorly worded responses that appear to target people with mental illnesses for why homelessness is so prevalent in NYC.

Yang, earlier: "Half of the attacks on Asian New Yorkers have been by the violently mentally ill. Yes, mentally ill people have rights, but you know who else has rights? We do, the people and families of the city. We have the right to walk the street and not fear for our safety because of mentally ill person is going to lash out at us. The fact is, mentally ill homeless men are changing the character of our neighborhoods."

He was very obviously taking about the violent mentally ill. The violent mentally ill makes up a large portion of violent attacks in the city. Nobody wants that. He has actual practical solutions to keep them off the streets and be rehabilitated.

Doesn’t matter. The media and social media will still spin the truth, and that’s what the general public is going to believe. Yang is finished, at best he finishes 4th.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1397 on: June 18, 2021, 02:20:00 AM »

I hope Prince ends up with more votes then morales
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1398 on: June 18, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »

Poor Ray McGuire. All the weekslong discussions regarding Yang, Adams, Morales, Wiley, Garcia, Stringer & I don't think his name has ever been brought up at all.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1399 on: June 18, 2021, 03:39:23 AM »

You know what following this race semi-closely has taught me?

New York politics are f**king insane.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies