NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:10:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126831 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »

I don't think a Republican has a chance here

Giuliani and Trump severed the NYGOP brand here

Giuliani would be chased out of NYC these days

A Republican could win in the 2030s, maybe

Hence why Rose would lose
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »

Scott Stringer sues De Blasio Administration for failing to hand over records related to De Blasio's response to COVID.

City Comptroller Scott Stringer is suing Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration for failing to hand over records related to the mayor’s response to the COVID-19 crisis.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in Manhattan Supreme Court, accuses City Hall of failing to comply with a subpoena Stringer issued in June as part of the comptroller’s probe.

“The City’s refusal to timely and fully comply with the Subpoena is impeding and frustrating the Comptroller’s ability to complete the Investigation,” the suit reads.

In May, Stringer — who is running to replace the term-limited de Blasio in 2021 — launched the investigation into the city’s handling of the pandemic, saying he wanted to know “what we knew, when we knew it and what we did about it.”

“This investigation will help New Yorkers understand how strategies were developed to protect public health and to learn from what worked and what didn’t to improve future emergency response efforts,” Stringer said at a press conference Wednesday outside City Hall.

A recent report from his office estimated that the city has “incurred or committed to $4.95 billion of COVID related spending in [fiscal year] 2020 and [fiscal year] 2021,” the court papers say.

Does this help Stringer in the crowded Democratic Primary?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

Rose is not a Republican. Why do you think Rose is a Republican, because he was in the military?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »

The contenders so far are: Eric Adams, Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire, Scott Stringer, Max Rose, and Curtis Sliwa, yes Curtis Sliwa

If 2021 sees more protests and riots on the streets, expect Sliwa to surge in polls because they are still white people in NYC who don't like crime.

New York State trended R this year...

But at the end of the day, a Democrat will remain mayor
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »

Any smart centrist Republican candidate would run as a Democrat. That seems to be what Ray McGuire is doing.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »

Rose should run as a indy hed have a higher chance of winning as a indy then winning the Dem nomination imo
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »

Rose should run as a indy hed have a higher chance of winning as a indy then winning the Dem nomination imo

He would have no chance at all.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »

So there's no Independence Party or any of the fusion parties on next year other than WFP and Conservative?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »

So there's no Independence Party or any of the fusion parties on next year other than WFP and Conservative?
Rose could definitely try running on the Independence Conservative and WFP tickets I don't think the WFP would nominate him tho
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »

I like Stringer but I also really like Dianne Morales. I'm pulling for one of them to win.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »

I like Stringer but I also really like Dianne Morales. I'm pulling for one of them to win.

I would say Stringer is in the top tier. Many of my more left wing friends like Morales, but I don't see her going anywhere.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »

I would say Stringer is in the top tier. Many of my more left wing friends like Morales, but I don't see her going anywhere.

It's a shame. Morales seems like she'd be a genuinely good mayor, leagues better than most of the firmly entrenched white men who get catapulted into the top tier.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 02:55:30 PM by KaiserDave »

Here's my very rough breakdown of how things stand. Undeclared candidates are italicized. Potential dark horses have an asterisk.

Frontrunners
Scott Stringer, Eric Adams, Shaun Donovan
Competitors
Maya Wiley*, Raymond McGuire, Max Rose, Andrew Yang, Ray McGuire (NEW)
Stragglers
Diane Morales*, Loree Sutton, Carlos Menchaca*, Kathryn Garcia
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Joycelyn Taylor
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

Here's my very rough breakdown of how things stand. Undeclared candidates are italicized. Potential dark horses have an asterisk.

Frontrunners
Competitors
Maya Wiley*, Raymond McGuire, Max Rose, Andrew Yang
Stragglers
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Joycelyn Taylor

I'd probably move Menchaca up to the second tier already just because he's the candidate most likely to get AOC's endorsement if he can raise enough money to be a competitor, but this is largely where I have the list as well. Good to see my instincts about Donovan aren't alone here. He seems like the candidate most likely to take advantage of De Blasio fatigue while not being easy to pigeonhole.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »

Frontrunners
Competitors
Stragglers
Bottom Feeders

Add Ray McGuire, Robert Holden and Curtis Sliwa as competitors. If crime increases in 2021, they will be relevant. Ray McGuire is a Black centrist running in a leftwing mood in NYC, if he is seen as an Bloomberg-esque candidate who can turn the economy in NYC around

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/nyregion/ray-mcguire-mayor-nyc.html
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »

Frontrunners
Competitors
Stragglers
Bottom Feeders

Add Ray McGuire, Robert Holden and Curtis Sliwa as competitors. If crime increases in 2021, they will be relevant. Ray McGuire is a Black centrist running in a leftwing mood in NYC, if he is seen as an Bloomberg-esque candidate who can turn the economy in NYC around

Sliwa is a meme candidate at best. Would he be running as a Republican? If so, put him in the same category as John Catsimatidis.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

Frontrunners
Competitors
Stragglers
Bottom Feeders

Sliwa is a meme candidate at best. Would he be running as a Republican? If so, put him in the same category as John Catsimatidis.

He's pretty serious. He has his Guardian Angels on the subways again because of subway slashings and so on again
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »

Rest In Peace to Mayor David Dinkins. A man whose success wasn't recognized in his time as Mayor, and who was mercilessly defamed. A man of great integrity and character who was a friend to many, and who did his ready best for the city he loved.

RIP, FF.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »

Rose is not a Republican. Why do you think Rose is a Republican, because he was in the military?

That Marxist user you are replying to is afraid of confident, masculine WWC men. Max Rose is a hero
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »

That Marxist user you are replying to is afraid of confident, masculine WWC men. Max Rose is a hero

I don't think Rose would run anyway---he should seek a 2022 rematch and he could beat Malliotakis.

Rose's lane is the same lane Stringer has---white ethnic outerborough voters---those voters are moving out of NYC in droves---but they are still electorally relevant

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2020, 11:29:26 PM »

Eric Adams may be too blue collar, too conservative and too policey for Democrats. He face the same problem Val Demings and Kamala Harris face---he has ties to law enforcement--and he wants to "out-white" Scott Stringer in appealing to conservative outerborough voters--the Joe Addabbo types.

Mr. Adams went on to say that in the 2021 race he was going to “out-white” Mr. Stringer, by winning over white constituencies. Mr. Adams and Ms. James are black. Mr. Stringer is white. Mr. Diaz is Hispanic. Mr. Adams explained that his past as a police officer gave him the experience to assure white voters that he would make public safety a priority.

“I was being colorful,” he said, explaining that just as Mr. de Blasio pressed issues like stop and frisk that had an impact in black communities, he planned to take his message of public safety to white neighborhoods. “People look at a black candidate and they think he can’t go into the Baysides, Bay Ridges and Marine Parks, and I’m not going to be the candidate that can’t do that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/nyregion/nyc-2021-mayor-election-candidates.html

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/personality/personality/would-eric-adams-be-first-blue-collar-mayor.html

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »

https://www.wcny.org/andrew-yang-for-nyc-mayor-tbd/

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/11/30/andrew-yang-said-to-be-considering-mayoral-bid-tested-in-new-online-poll-1338485

Nevermind. Whereas I had thought he wasn't running.....apparently not! He's apparently quite interested.

This could get very very interesting. Quite the surprise actually, I thought he was going for the Commerce spot in cabinet.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2020, 08:43:51 PM by KaiserDave »

C from 538

I'm SHOCKED. SHOCKED by this poll. The foxes are running the hen house, cats are chasing dogs, the rain is going UP! NYC political heavyweights Eric Adams and Scott Stringer are playing second fiddle to a shockingly successful but nevertheless 3rd tier Presidential candidate. This poll could be garbage, but even if it's 10 points off, Yang is here to stay if he runs (barring a sudden collapse or terrible campaign).

It's choice of candidates is odd (no McGuire, Quinn is a LOL), but still...wow. Probably just name recognition though.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2020, 01:30:10 AM »

C from 538

I'm SHOCKED. SHOCKED by this poll. The foxes are running the hen house, cats are chasing dogs, the rain is going UP! NYC political heavyweights Eric Adams and Scott Stringer are playing second fiddle to a shockingly successful but nevertheless 3rd tier Presidential candidate. This poll could be garbage, but even if it's 10 points off, Yang is here to stay if he runs (barring a sudden collapse or terrible campaign).

It's choice of candidates is odd (no McGuire, Quinn is a LOL), but still...wow. Probably just name recognition though.

I was surprised too!

This is going to be a very interesting election watch.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2020, 05:45:29 AM »

C from 538

Call it identity politics, but I'm always in favor of getting more Asian-American representation into office.  I'd be okay with this considering it's New York City. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies