Opinion of reincarnation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:43:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of reincarnation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Thumbs up

Thumbs down

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Opinion of reincarnation  (Read 3468 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 27, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »

I would actually agree with this. As I think I've said before on this forum, I'm a member of a major mainstream monotheism (hey kids, alliteration is fun!) in spite of the heaven/hell setup, not because of it.
I think an afterlife makes more sense than reincarnation. To be reincarnated over and over again makes very little sense, with the exception of the most excellent short story, The Egg.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »

I don't think fear of non-existence can explain the popularity of belief in either an afterlife or reincarnation. Cosmodicy, is a far likelier explanation. Why is there apparently no justice in this life? It's dealt with in the next, and there's no particular requirement that we be able to remember our prior lives or interact with our prior plane of existence for the issue of cosmodicy to be resolved, unlike with the fear of non-existence.

I don't know... the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to believe that religion is an ingenious trick of evolution. DNA clearly exists to replicate itself and to pass itself on in future generations, and through mutation it finds more efficient ways of doing so. Heightened intelligence in an organism (such as humans) is clearly an excellent advantage for self-replication, but the problem is that humans are so intelligent that, unlike other species, we're capable of unraveling these sorts of mysteries and figuring out just how meaningless life is. So in order to prevent us from becoming purely nihilistic, nature has given us instincts to believe in things outside of the material world.

Throw in very vague words about “specific definitions of belief and divinity” at the end and you’re basically Jordan Peterson.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »

Has it occurred to anyone that if you are reincarnated you are Literally "born again"?
Only in the most useless way possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies