Why is the urban-rural "gap" in shared cultural understanding so much bigger in the US? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:10:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is the urban-rural "gap" in shared cultural understanding so much bigger in the US? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the urban-rural "gap" in shared cultural understanding so much bigger in the US?  (Read 2928 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:36:13 AM »

If only there was a place you could live where you could both avoid people and enjoy modern amenities. I've lived in big cities, suburbs, and small towns, and there's been one constant: my neighbors are awful and the people are sinister.

That said, I think you're all exaggerating a divide that isn't really there outside of maybe political identity. The Internet has blurred any distinct urban and rural culture, as much as that triggers the mountain man LARPers and wine-drinking Brian Griffin types.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 08:54:47 AM »

If only there was a place you could live where you could both avoid people and enjoy modern amenities. I've lived in big cities, suburbs, and small towns, and there's been one constant: my neighbors are awful and the people are sinister.

That said, I think you're all exaggerating a divide that isn't really there outside of maybe political identity. The Internet has blurred any distinct urban and rural culture, as much as that triggers the mountain man LARPers and wine-drinking Brian Griffin types.

I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you there. The Internet is actually a great example of the rural-urban divide.

Rural areas don't have good broadband! That matters a lot in terms of allowing people to get online easily and within too many problems. Bad broadband and internet access discouraged businesses and people from moving to sparesely populated areas. That's a big deal!

And that's cool and all, but rurals still have Internet and they still have exposure to urban culture. I don't think the quality of that Internet is as big a factor as you're making it out to be, especially in the days when it's wireless and mobile and available to more people than ever before. Name a kid who hasn't brought up a meme you don't understand- you'll find that in New Jersey AND Wyoming.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies