New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:25:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006  (Read 26201 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »

I wonder if New Orleans Republicans broke for Nagin. Maybe they know he'll do a poor job of it and it gives them the perfect opportunity to beat up on an incompetent "Democrat". Couhig needs to get his head read; at least, Forman had the right intention but, at the end of the day, it wasn't enough for Mitch

Not Sad a good result for New Orleans but 52% have made their bed and, unfortunately, the other 48% are going to have to lie on it. New Orleans has, for want of more apt words, sh**t in its own nest

Dave

You mean like that Bush loving "Democrat" who won the primary in Texas because of Republicans? He just voted for the latest tax cut for the rich. Of course as I recall some fools on this forum call themselves "Democrats" and supported him.

I'm talking New Orleans not Texas

Dave
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2006, 11:33:52 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2006, 11:35:42 PM by Storebought »

So what do you know? Don of Memphis TN was right after all.

My own random observations

1. New Orleans will not have the benefit of two Landrieus throwing taxpayer money after the city. That is perhaps a good thing.

2. Mary Landrieu is up sh*t creek vis-a-vis her own reelection. She, a sitting senator, couldn't pull her base for her own little brother!

Corollary to (2): To her relief, at least this election, as have most off-year elections, has shown how strongly pro-incumbent the American voting mood is. The GOP has only slight worry of losing the House, and virtually none in losing the Senate. And even defeats of incumbents in primaries will not result in the loss of a congressional seat to the opposite party.

3. Mitch Landrieu's career will resemble Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's of MD, i.e. he will be selling insurance in two years
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2006, 12:24:29 AM »

nagin is an acquired taste.

ive grown to like him.

sure, nagin isnt the brightest bulb. but moon's son is an absolute moron.

nagin is a complex character.  he just never seemed comfortable with the poverty pimp role he tried to play after katrina.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2006, 12:35:44 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2006, 12:38:05 AM by Galactic Overlord »

Losing an election does not necessarily sideline one's political career, but failing to oust a not-so-popular incumbent in your own backyard is defintely a setback.  Landrieu seemed rather bland, he had a nice guy image and all, but not a lot of passion and grit.  Nagin, say what you will, could project a "man of the people" image.

I don't know what he does after this.  Challenging Blanco would be very iffy, unless he changes his campaign style.  Republicans will be emboldened to challenge him for his current post in 2007.  He won 53%-46% last time, solid but not a spectacular margin, but it helped that no Republican was strong enough to hold him under 50% (frankly at least two of his opponents were has-beens), yet together they still made up 46% of the vote.  So it may get tougher going for Mitch.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »

You know, if I had remembered there was this election today, I would have predicted Nagin would win with about 55%.

But I forgot, so I get no kudos.  Sad

The key to Nagin's win was that he got a higher percentage of white voters than Landrieu got of black voters.  The turnout margin was slightly higher for whites than blacks this time, but they were roughly about even in numbers. 

Simple.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2006, 03:46:47 AM »

I guess New Orleans will be under water in a few months then... hopefully Nagin will have the decency to go down with it this time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2006, 06:44:05 AM »

nagin is an acquired taste.

ive grown to like him.

sure, nagin isnt the brightest bulb. but moon's son is an absolute moron.

nagin is a complex character.  he just never seemed comfortable with the poverty pimp role he tried to play after katrina.
And he didn't do it for nearly as much as New Orleans needed.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »

Incidentally, why is this in Gubernatorial Elections?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2006, 12:08:42 PM »

because there is no separate local and state elections board, so we use this one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »

And he didn't do it for nearly as much as New Orleans needed.

It would never be possible to overplay the role which Waltermitty calls 'poverty pimp', since poverty is caused by the powerful (the owners).
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2006, 02:29:18 PM »

How can people support someone who didnt call an mandatory evacuation until the last minute. He was more concerned about business then the lives of his own citizens. He also stattioned everyone in city hall. Not very wise because it could have got flooded out. He said it was safe but then why did he stay in the hyatt and not city hall? The Hyatt is connected to the superdome and he could see eveyone on the streets asking for help. Why didnt he go out and help them? Is nagin someone who you would trust with your life?

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2006, 07:35:42 PM »

How can people support someone who didnt call an mandatory evacuation until the last minute. He was more concerned about business then the lives of his own citizens.

Because he is, quote, "one of us."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies