Powell set to deliver 'profoundly consequential' speech, changing how the Fed views inflation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Powell set to deliver 'profoundly consequential' speech, changing how the Fed views inflation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Powell set to deliver 'profoundly consequential' speech, changing how the Fed views inflation  (Read 1886 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »

I fundamentally disagree. The economy should become more and more efficient, using saved money to keep prices low and to raise wages. The Fed’s decision to raise prices is fundamentally harmful to poor people, whose wages will never realistically do better than inflation.
No one's saving money right now. Hardly anyone was saving money before the recession either...
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »

I fundamentally disagree. The economy should become more and more efficient, using saved money to keep prices low and to raise wages. The Fed’s decision to raise prices is fundamentally harmful to poor people, whose wages will never realistically do better than inflation.
No one's saving money right now. Hardly anyone was saving money before the recession either...

Actually, the savings rate has gone up. People who have income are on average more concerned about their future income and saving for the future rather than assuming their income will monotonically increase.
I understand the savings rate dramatically increased after the stimulus, but I'm more concerned about how much people will save going forward. The sunsetting unemployment benefits don't help either.

People are going to save what they can during a recession, but I'm not sure that we're going to see the savings rate improve much in 2021.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies