Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 04:11:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 46
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 24961 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »

Man Pence is gonna get smoked in 2024 by Harris...

Why wait for 2024? He's gonna get smoked by Harris in just ~6 weeks' time in Salt Lake City.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Look back at the 2016 VP debate.  Pence has a real knack for lying in such a shameless fashion that he appears reasonable, if you don't know the facts.  He'll undoubtedly be wrong on the substance, don't get me wrong, but that may not be how it comes across.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »

Not every election is 2016. Pollsters changed their methodology to weight for education after 2016 to make them more accurate. Polls were spot on in 2018 and they will be in 2020. But why am I wasting my time typing this. Talking to you people is like talking to a brick wall.

Ahh yes oversampling and not factoring in people who are worried about being judged for their takes is such a strong methodology. If you really felt the way you did, you wouldn't post like a concerned challenger
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »

Not every election is 2016. Pollsters changed their methodology to weight for education after 2016 to make them more accurate. Polls were spot on in 2018 and they will be in 2020. But why am I wasting my time typing this. Talking to you people is like talking to a brick wall.

Ahh yes oversampling and not factoring in people who are worried about being judged for their takes is such a strong methodology. If you really felt the way you did, you wouldn't post like a concerned challenger

lol muh oversampling. If your unskewing polls like that than your the one who’s concerned
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #753 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »

Why wait for 2024? He's gonna get smoked by Harris in just ~6 weeks' time in Salt Lake City.

https://i.imgur.com/DBcUtoo.png

Hey, there are dozens of us who wanna actually see Biden run for re-election! DOZENS!!

I wouldn't be so sure.  Look back at the 2016 VP debate.  Pence has a real knack for lying in such a shameless fashion that he appears reasonable, if you don't know the facts.  He'll undoubtedly be wrong on the substance, don't get me wrong, but that may not be how it comes across.

That assumes Kamala would put up with that sh*t like she's Tim Kaine. Kamala ain't no Tim Kaine.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #754 on: August 26, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »

https://i.imgur.com/DBcUtoo.png

Hey, there are dozens of us who wanna actually see Biden run for re-election! DOZENS!!

I wouldn't be so sure.  Look back at the 2016 VP debate.  Pence has a real knack for lying in such a shameless fashion that he appears reasonable, if you don't know the facts.  He'll undoubtedly be wrong on the substance, don't get me wrong, but that may not be how it comes across.

That assumes Kamala would put up with that sh*t like she's Tim Kaine. Kamala ain't no Tim Kaine.

Kaine didn't put up with stuff, though...he actively challenged him throughout the debate.  In fact, that was a major reason why Kaine supposedly "lost" the debate - he was too aggressive.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »

Having a crowd makes all the difference. It adds energy to the speaker, had Harris had one last week it would make her speech less stiff.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #756 on: August 26, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »

Can we ban DeadPrez for spam please?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #757 on: August 26, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »

I certainly agree with what you say about South Carolina. Lindsey Graham's slavish worship of Trump has been a disgrace, and it would be a real joy if Jaime Harrison somehow defeated him in November (although I think Graham will win reelection by mid to high single digits). As for Nikki Haley and Tim Scott, they would be excellent forebears of conservatism in a Trump-free Republican Party that was aiming to expand its outreach to minority voters and moderate its positions. Unfortunately, however, Haley and Scott will find that their path forward will be blocked by the vile, reactionary elements backing people such as Tom Cotton, Matt Gaetz, Rick Scott, Donald Trump Jr., and others of that caliber.

Believing Haley and Scott can reach out to minority voters in their current state is exactly why the GOP cannot reach out to minority voters.

What do you mean by this?

Scott is unwilling to say what needs to be said in order for him to appeal to black voters. Nikki is incapable because she's the Clinton-Harris version for Republicans.

What do you think they should be saying? Surely you can't believe the Party should go down the path of Tom Cotton and Rick Scott instead.

But thats the point. For all relevant purposes Scott and Haley hold identical policies as Cotton and Scott. Republicans seem convinced that all they need to do is rewrap their same old minority-antagonistic policies in a new multiracial package and somehow PoC voters will be fooled.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #758 on: August 26, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »

lol muh oversampling. If your unskewing polls like that than your the one who’s concerned

Nope. Already bet 250 on trump winning. Won my bet in 2016. Will win again in 2020.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #759 on: August 26, 2020, 09:52:35 PM »

Take this pointless conversation somewhere else please
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #760 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »

Pence running on the successes of the economy of seven months ago has got to be the saddest campaign tactic I have ever seen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #761 on: August 26, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »

Kaine didn't put up with stuff, though...he actively challenged him throughout the debate.  In fact, that was a major reason why Kaine supposedly "lost" the debate - he was too aggressive.

Kaine's big problem wasn't that he challenged Pence throughout the debate, but that he tried too hard to perform well in doing so. He kept interrupting & trying to pin Pence or put him down, & while Pence's defense was by no means stellar, he still managed to come off looking like the more "mature" of the 2 in the eyes of viewers just by virtue of sitting there & dismissively chuckling throughout the whole thing (aka the Joe Biden 2012 strategy).

Kamala doesn't have to try hard to be good at this, though (see: https://youtu.be/ktdi_L0rYkk). Unlike Tim Kaine, she's actually charismatic, she has a personality, & she knows how to perform well in debates & the like. If there's anybody who can actually force Pence to try & do the impossible (that is, actually debate the merits of the Trump administration), it's Kamala. (And if nothing else, she can literally just spend all night long pointing to the absurd number of deaths that the Trump/Pence administration's piss-poor COVID-19 response has enabled).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #762 on: August 26, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »

Oh my god, this is the RNC chat thread. Take this who gonna win chat anywhere else.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #763 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »

Pence giving us a great example of the kind of speech that might go viral and earn praise if 65% of the country didn't know he was lying.
Buzz

« Reply #764 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:18 PM »

Pence is delivering a great speech!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #765 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »

Pence is a competent but dull speaker. I can't see him rallying up voters in a primary.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #766 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »

Pence just called Biden a career politician despite the fact that he himself has been in politics for nearly 20 years.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #767 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »

Why are you guys so angry? There's only 3 blue avys in this thread. This isn't a D thread. It's an RNC thread for everyone. Calm down and stop discriminating
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #768 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »

Blasting the warmongering elite. Fking love it

We still have troops in the Middle East.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #769 on: August 26, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »

I certainly agree with what you say about South Carolina. Lindsey Graham's slavish worship of Trump has been a disgrace, and it would be a real joy if Jaime Harrison somehow defeated him in November (although I think Graham will win reelection by mid to high single digits). As for Nikki Haley and Tim Scott, they would be excellent forebears of conservatism in a Trump-free Republican Party that was aiming to expand its outreach to minority voters and moderate its positions. Unfortunately, however, Haley and Scott will find that their path forward will be blocked by the vile, reactionary elements backing people such as Tom Cotton, Matt Gaetz, Rick Scott, Donald Trump Jr., and others of that caliber.

Believing Haley and Scott can reach out to minority voters in their current state is exactly why the GOP cannot reach out to minority voters.

What do you mean by this?

Scott is unwilling to say what needs to be said in order for him to appeal to black voters. Nikki is incapable because she's the Clinton-Harris version for Republicans.

What do you think they should be saying? Surely you can't believe the Party should go down the path of Tom Cotton and Rick Scott instead.

But thats the point. For all relevant purposes Scott and Haley hold identical policies as Cotton and Scott. Republicans seem convinced that all they need to do is rewrap their same old minority-antagonistic policies in a new multiracial package and somehow PoC voters will be fooled.

I think you misconstrued what I was trying to say here. Scott and Haley would be in a strong position if the Republican Party were actively trying to engage in outreach to minority voters, coupled with a moderation of some of their stances-as the infamous RNC autopsy from 2013, after Romney's defeat, had alluded to. However, the Party isn't doing so, and seems to be engaged in measures to just further alienate minority voters. Scott and Haley, moreover, are hamstrung by their support for, and affiliation with, Trump and his policies-support which still won't enable them to overcome the even more extremist factions within the Party.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #770 on: August 26, 2020, 10:01:04 PM »

Pretty close to "segregation now, segregation forever" for Pence.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #771 on: August 26, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »

Can you all just stop?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #772 on: August 26, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »

This whole convention has been fantastic.

I freaking love the new GOP.

If the new GOP hates warmongering, then why does our fat bloated military keep getting absurd budget increases?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #773 on: August 26, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »

We still have troops in the Middle East.

less, no new wars, providing cover for more people to vote against war, and providing a roadmap for more candidates to run on an antiwar platform>>>>>>joe biden who supports the clinton/bush/obama fopo of starting new wars and expanding on the wars of predecessors
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #774 on: August 26, 2020, 10:06:05 PM »

Squinting
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to: