1964: Adlai Stevenson vs Barry Goldwater
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:19:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1964: Adlai Stevenson vs Barry Goldwater
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1964: Adlai Stevenson vs Barry Goldwater  (Read 1329 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »

President Lyndon Johnson, citing health concerns, declines to run for a full term. At the Convention, the Democrats select Adlai Stevenson as their nominee. On the Republican side, the primary goes the same as OTL. Who wins?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »

346: Adlai Stevenson II/Allan Shivers - 55.3%
192: Barry Goldwater/Norris Cotton - 43.5%
Others - 1.2%
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »

I would hate to see this.

Both Stevenson and Goldwater were openly racist.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

346: Adlai Stevenson II/Allan Shivers - 55.3%
192: Barry Goldwater/Norris Cotton - 43.5%
Others - 1.2%

Yea this is about right. Maybe give or take Oklahoma, New Jersey, Connecticut, Colorado, Texas and 1-2 of Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

Stevenson would do MUCH better in the Deep South than LBJ, but much worse everywhere else.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:55:16 PM »

That's ironic considering Stevenson died in 1965.

UN Ambassador Adlai Stevenson (D-IL) / Senator Stuart Symington (D-MO) ✓
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) / Congressman William Miller (R-NY)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »

Even though he did poorly with the Africa American vote in 1956 (Estes Kefauver probably saved him with African American voters), Adlai Stevenson didn’t really seem to be openly racist and had an okayish record on civil rights as Illinois governor.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »

Even though he did poorly with the Africa American vote in 1956 (Estes Kefauver probably saved him with African American voters), Adlai Stevenson didn’t really seem to be openly racist and had an okayish record on civil rights as Illinois governor.

It's weird that he did worse in 56 then 52 when he had an open segregationist as his runningmate.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »

It's weird that he did worse in 56 then 52 when he had an open segregationist as his runningmate.
I know that Dwight Eisenhower was endorsed by most segregationists in 1952 such as Richard Russell, Strom Thurmond, Harry Byrd, and L. Mendel Rivers, who were more hardline segregationists than John Sparkman. Also, the rhetoric of Joseph McCarthy and other anti-communist Republicans implied that the civil rights movement took direct orders from the Soviet Union.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »

I know that Dwight Eisenhower was endorsed by most segregationists in 1952 such as Richard Russell, Strom Thurmond, Harry Byrd, and L. Mendel Rivers, who were more hardline segregationists than John Sparkman. Also, the rhetoric of Joseph McCarthy and other anti-communist Republicans implied that the civil rights movement took direct orders from the Soviet Union.

I didn't realize that actually. Suggests to me that if the Democrats had nominated an outright champion of Civil Rights that year as opposed to someone who took a benign neglect approach like Stevenson Eisenhower might have won all fifty states or Strom Thurmond might have run again and taken the deep south, shutting the national party out of the White House.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »

I have a hard time imagining Stevenson could have gotten the Democratic nomination when he was already a two time loser. It's so weird to me that his stans were pushing for him to be the nominee in 60.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »

I have a hard time imagining Stevenson could have gotten the Democratic nomination when he was already a two time loser. It's so weird to me that his stans were pushing for him to be the nominee in 60.

Yeah. He and his stans had more of a humiliation fetish thing going on than even Bernie and his bros
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »

If Johnson stepped aside there's no way it wouldn't have been RFK who would have destroyed Goldwater with a similar map. Hard to imagine this scenario even happening.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 05:04:25 AM »

If Johnson stepped aside there's no way it wouldn't have been RFK who would have destroyed Goldwater with a similar map. Hard to imagine this scenario even happening.

I guess the scenario assumes that RFK is rejected by party bosses for being too liberal for their own interests. Thus getting the gears turning faster for reform and primaries.

Or maybe "health concerns" is code for "Johnson did some really really really really bad or something and the party bosses are forcing him out" but Johnson, even if with no political capital, is at least able to force them to avoid RFK.

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=4tr5

whatever lulz
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »

Yeah. He and his stans had more of a humiliation fetish thing going on than even Bernie and his bros

Indeed, hell i'm an admitted Berniebro and I'd be pretty depressed if I saw anyone trying to get him to run a third time.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

I guess the scenario assumes that RFK is rejected by party bosses for being too liberal for their own interests. Thus getting the gears turning faster for reform and primaries.

Or maybe "health concerns" is code for "Johnson did some really really really really bad or something and the party bosses are forcing him out" but Johnson, even if with no political capital, is at least able to force them to avoid RFK.

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=4tr5

whatever lulz

That’s remarkably similar to Bill Clinton’s maps.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies