Who will be the 2024 Democratic nominee for President (Post DNC edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:17:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who will be the 2024 Democratic nominee for President (Post DNC edition)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will be the
Joe Biden

Kamala Harris

Gretchen Whitmer

Roy Cooper

Michelle Lujan Grisham

Andrew Cuomo

Stacey Abrams

Steve Bullock

Sherrod Brown

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Michelle Obama

Gavin Newsom

Cory Booker

Pete Buttigeig

Bernie Sanders

Phil Murphy

Elizabeth Warren

Keisha Lance Bottoms

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Who will be the 2024 Democratic nominee for President (Post DNC edition)  (Read 1811 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »

Who, in your opinion, will be the Democratic nominee for President in 2024, now that we've gone through the 2020 DNC?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »

It's Kamala except in the case that Biden runs again or they lose this year. I expect she will get the nomination without much resistance, unless the administration does very poorly and opens itself up to challenge from the left à la Ted Kennedy or Bill Bradley (who deserved more support btw).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »

If Biden wins in November and runs for a second term, it will be him.

If Biden wins in November and does not run for a second term, it will be Kamala Harris.

If Biden loses in November, then I don't know who it would be. Probably Andrew Cuomo?

If I had to put money on it today, I would bet on Kamala.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »

Health permitting, Joe Biden: he keeps saying stuff like "in my 1st 4 years alone" & "just in my 1st term," so he sounds like somebody who intends to run for re-election, & if he does run for re-election, then he'll (obviously) be the nominee.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »

If Biden wins: Kamala
If Biden loses: someone we don’t expect who’s more of a gamble
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »

If Biden wins = Kamala Harris

If Trump wins = Andrew Cuomo
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 05:02:30 AM »

I wouldn’t count Biden out. He recently said explicitly he would be open to serving a second term. I don’t think he’s going to decline to run in 2024 out of some principle of “82’s too old” or “I need to give someone else a chance”, but his decision is going to be based on whether he still feels up to the job.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »

I think Kamala either way, whether Trump wins or not.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »

If Biden wins, Biden.

If Trump wins, Warren.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 12:37:49 AM »

If Biden wins, he probably doesn't run in 2024 and the nominee is Kamala.
If Trump wins, it's a more open race. I don't think it would be Andrew Cuomo, he may be popular now, but he has a lot baggage that will matter again in four years. I actually think the most likely nominees would be Gavin Newsom or Gretchen Whitmer, but it's too early to say.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 06:07:11 AM »

I expect that after the 2022 midterms, President Joe Biden will announce he intends to retire on January 20, 2025 at the conclusion of his term. Vice President Kamala Harris will be the nominee.

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be speculated to be a potential progressive challenger to Harris, but will ultimately decline to run for President in 2024, planning to remain in the House and run for Senate in 2028 instead, then possibly run for President at a later date years down the road.

The Republicans will have been dealt a substantial defeat with the scandal-ridden, unpopular President Trump as the nominee in 2020.

Despite Trump's loss and subsequent, ongoing criminal cases, Former President Trump would remain popular among a majority of the Republican Party for most of the next decade. Former Vice President Pence becomes the GOP nominee in 2024, defeating Nikki Haley and Josh Hawley.

Harris easily defeats Pence, and is elected the 47th President of the United States, taking office on January 20, 2025.

President Harris wins re-election in 2028, defeating Former Governor Ron DeSantis. AOC gets elected to the Senate as Schumer retires.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »

I think Biden is winning in November but I think the way the world is going at the moment it's not going to be all roses and daisies. Still have to deal with the pandemic probably, the real economy is still going to suck due to all these lockdowns, China is still going to be a pain in the ass and we're going to have frictions with them, and the new president will be more anti-Russia than the current one. Biden's coalition is not a pro-Biden coalition, it's an anti-Trump coalition, and that coalition will fall apart the day after the election. The never Trump conservatives and the DSA aren't going to back him long-term because the coalition is so broad Biden's not going to be able to keep everyone happy. So Harris in the 2024 race if she runs then it'll either be as Biden/administration defender or sometime through the term she'll have to throw the administration under a bus. The latter is a pretty touchy thing for a sitting VP to do and turn against her own president. But if she's the Administration Defender in 2024, that opens her up to a well-funded primary challenge. It's not going to be a walk in the park.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »

If Joe Biden wins and runs for reelection, it will be his. If he wins and declines, Kamala. If Biden loses, either Andrew Cuomo or Gretchen Whitmer.
astrohuncho
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »

Realistically the nominee would be a San Francisco liberal (either Kamala Harris or Gavin Newsom). Palatable enough to the establishment of the party while still keeping a big chunk of the progressive voters engaged.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 03:36:34 PM »

If Trump wins, it won't matter because we'll have an election in name only.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »

If Biden wins: Harris, with Warren being a long shot possibility

If Trump wins (and our Democracy is still somewhat in tact): Warren, Whitmer, or Newsom.

Anyone saying Cuomo is deluding themselves.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »

If Trump wins (and our Democracy is still somewhat in tact): Warren, Whitmer, or Newsom.

Anyone who thinks Warren would run is deluding themselves
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 07:00:25 PM »

If Biden loses this year Warren would have a good claim to make that nominating two moderates lost the Democrats the Presidency. If Biden wins and has a bad term, she'd be in a good position to run against the administration.

Cuomo has too much COVID baggage.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 07:22:45 PM »

If Biden loses this year Warren would have a good claim to make that nominating two moderates lost the Democrats the Presidency. If Biden wins and has a bad term, she'd be in a good position to run against the administration.

Baggage? People mostly approve of his response. He’s the face of the Democratic response to covid
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »

I think the most likely scenario is Biden winning in 2020, but not running for re-election. So, I believe Harris will be the nominee in 2024.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »

Baggage? People mostly approve of his response. He’s the face of the Democratic response to covid

And he shouldn't be. Whitmer, Newsom, Inslee, or even my state's Governor Pritzker would've been better faces of the Democratic response to COVID as they responded quicker and better than Cuomo did.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 03:38:18 AM »

Harris because the party really is that stupid.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »

They didn't nominate Edwards.

If Biden really does this bad this year, I can see it being someone that we don't even know about yet. I imagine if he doesn't lose THAT badly. Dems keep the House and maybe only lose 1 seat in the senate, I can see it being another 60 something or 70 something moderate. 2022 will probably see the Democrats retake the senate and the Democrats will probably play it safe only to continue to improve downballot as they keep nominating duds for the presidency.

If this year is really that bad where the Republicans take back the House and run up the score in the Senate, I can see the possibility of a really strong 3rd party showing in 2022 and 2024.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »

I've come around to thinking that Biden running for reelection may be an underrated possibility.  He'll be 82-years-old on Inauguration Day 2025, but if his health is good four years now why not go for it? Plus both of his parents were pretty long lived.

Otherwise it'll be Harris.

Though in the event that Biden loses, I would expect the 2024 nominee to be from the progressive wing of the party after back-to-back loses with two moderate candidates. In which case, Warren seems to be the best poised in that scenario.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »

I've come around to thinking that Biden running for reelection may be an underrated possibility.  He'll be 82-years-old on Inauguration Day 2025, but if his health is good four years now why not go for it? Plus both of his parents were pretty long lived.

Otherwise it'll be Harris.

Absolutely agree. I think Joe Biden really hasn't decided at all what he's going to do if he wins 2020. Obviously, most candidate early have in mind to become a two term president, I think he will just govern into 2023 and decide some time in spring what to by assessing his health and how things are working. If he's healthy and polls shows he's the strongest Democratic candidate, I could easily see him going for a second term. Of course the "risk" of something happening is higher than with a 55 or even 65 year old president, you can never rule it out for any age. There are presidents in history who died from natural causes younger than Joe Biden was when he first took the oath of office as vice president in 2009 (Teddy, FDR, LBJ for example). There is always a vice president taking over if necessary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies