NPC Elections - Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NPC Elections - Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: NPC Elections - Commentary Thread  (Read 4896 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »

bumping this thread for commentary of NPC elections and avoid disrupting a party's campaign thread.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »

bumping this thread for commentary of NPC elections and avoid disrupting a party's campaign thread.
Thanks!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »

MEDICAID HASN'T EXISTED SINCE 2017!!!!!!

Section 1: Transition for Medicare and Medicaid
1. Recipients of Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program will be transitioned over in an orderly fashion, administered by the H&HS Sub-Department, into AtlasCare program, with their premiums, co-pays and deductibles subsidized 100%, under the premium subsidy established and paid for in Part 1, Section 2.3. All those who were eligible for the expansion of these programs under the ACA, will be eligible for this provision regardless of whether the state or Region took the voluntary expansions or not.

Everyone who was in Medicaid was automatically enrolled in AtlasCare with their expenses covered, including those eligible for the Medicaid expansion living in states that didn't take the expansion.

STATE'S CANNOT REGULATE THE EXCHANGES!!!!
Regions can under Federal Guidance
2. Three new exchanges will be created and administered by the Health & Human Services (H&HS) Sub-Department, within the Department of Internal Affairs, with jurisdictions matching those of the three Regions. The H&HS Sub-Department will coordinate with regional officials during the setup and implementation process, and hand over administration and regulation of the new exchanges on January 1, 2018, to the respective Regional Government

STATES CANNOT REGULATE A FEDERALLY CREATED PUBLIC OPTION AND A FEDERALLY CREATED SUBSIDY

e. The subsidy will be paid for using the existing revenues for the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid and Medicare. The Medicare Payroll Tax will be renamed the Health Care Payroll Tax and increased from 1.45% to 2.50% on employees and employers, for a total of 5%.

f. The subsidy shall be administered with the H&HS Sub-Department by the newly created Healthcare Subsidy Office (HSO).

Section 1: Relationship with the Exchanges
1. AtlasCare shall be a federally administered, market competing public health insurance option, operated by the newly created AtlasCare Office (ACO) within sub-department of H&HS, within the Department of Internal Affairs.

IF A REGION FAILS TO ACT THIS HAPPENS
5. Should a region’s legislature fail to act by the above date, the H&HS Sub-Department will continue to administer the exchange until such time as the Regional Government is able to assume control.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »

I mean, I do think you can run on healthcare for the NPC elections, you probably just need to focus on more "local" stuff.

So basically attack stuff like waiting lists, a lack of medical materials, promise to build new hospitals or healthcare centres and what not.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »

(quotes taken from this wm rally in lebanon, mo)

I see that Peace is running a well-produced TV ad in Missouri and other Southern states. I recall Truman did a campaign stop in North Dakota just two months ago turning up his nose at similarly-done high-quality ads made by the DA. This just speaks to Labor-Peace hypocrisy, in fact, he said and I quote:

"Wow! It is such a treat to be back on the campaign trail again, especially with all these slick new ads hitting the airwaves. I don't know what I expected from the Dishonest Alliance, but I guess when your entire platform was passed into law by Labor governments three years ago, you have more time to screw around on Youtube!"

That is an egg on one's face if I had to say so. The honorable Delegate's ad was running on the same platform (Youtube) as well. Well, I for one, will applaud the gentlelady from Arkansas on the ad since I refuse to lower myself to anger that others are campaigning. After all, more (real) voter choice is always good and it's great for voters to be able to hear what every side has to say before deciding.

lol i'm not from labor or da tho

Labor has been in government so long and Peace campaigns across Missouri and Texas running on various issues including criminal justice reform, increasing funding for hospitals, and more. If Labor and Peace haven't helped Missouri out yet, are they really going to in government here in Jefferson City?

If we do all these improvements at the state level, your state income taxes will go up. Additionally, Peace decries these problems often on the trail, implying that they haven't been able to get assistance on their proposed programs from the longtime national Labor government or the six-month Labor government in the Southern governor's mansion. Labor and Peace work together electorally and are very similar ideologically. If one (Peace) promises you the same that the other has (and has had) the power to remedy, will you believe them to act if you elect here in Missouri?

lol peace != labor

oh, and by the way, there aren't any incumbents right now. neither labor nor peace have canonically controlled missouri yet, as nobody has yet.

I believe the national government should help out states that can't afford to complete the expensive, large programs they need. Some things that the gentlelady from Arkansas mentions can be solved through better management and my party has a record for that (keep in mind there are no incumbents for NPC elections so we can't really assume problems are the fault of Federalist NPCs).

lol i never assumed that any particular party's npc legislators are at fault, the worst i've done is just say that the state legislatures *in general* aren't doing their jobs and that things need to be shaken up. it's not labor's fault, not the fed's fault, not da's fault, and not the libs' fault. what i am saying is that there are problems that need fixing, and peace is ready to fight that challenge.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »

lol i'm not from labor or da tho

lol peace != labor

lol i never assumed that any particular party's npc legislators are at fault, the worst i've done is just say that the state legislatures *in general* aren't doing their jobs and that things need to be shaken up. it's not labor's fault, not the fed's fault, not da's fault, and not the libs' fault. what i am saying is that there are problems that need fixing, and peace is ready to fight that challenge.

These are quite fine lines to toe. Next, I would like to address a condescending comment in another response you gave to a speech of mine:

May the Lord help Midlander if he ever goes to Canada or Great Britain, countries where numerous political parties with varying degrees of overlap work together to find common sense solutions.

One. In Atlasia, the UK is a part of our country. Two. Peace is a separate political entity but only insofar as the Co-operative Party IRL. I will reference this because this is the commentary thread and not the regular AFE forum. If you want a canon reference, the relationship is like that of a sister party, like that of the CDU and CSU. Similarly to the party pairs mentioned, Labor and Peace do not compete against each other and you can see this in their electoral cooperation in virtually all elections NPC and not. Additionally, they run a combined left slate, together, for House, and run only one candidate for Southern Governor, whether Labor or Peace.

Obviously, this arrangement is not unprecedented internationally and I don't know if the honorable Delegate was looking for a straw man argument to defeat in making that the issue but voting for Peace represents the illusion of a choice that isn't Labor. It is the tiniest, most insignificant difference in choice, in making that decision (for Peace, not Labor) at the ballot box.

oh, and by the way, there aren't any incumbents right now. neither labor nor peace have canonically controlled missouri yet, as nobody has yet.

Even though this is true, the presumption, as has been the case implied from some campaigners who have taken liberties with the facts, is that since Missouri is a conservative state so any problems there is the fault of a Federalist state government, when we don't know what government Missouri has. It could be a Labor government, it could be a split government, it could be a coalition in the legislature (in one or both houses) which impedes legislative action, etc, etc.

And as I said, "if you elect [them] here in Missouri?" I made it very clear that I meant if there are all these problems why has aid not come from the longtime Labor-Peace governments in Nyman and Nashville. Anyone can tell this was not an implication that Peace governs in Jefferson City.

The state government has a role but if projects are so great, so expensive, the regional and/or federal government has to step in to help, as I explained at length in my speech.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »

These are quite fine lines to toe.

peace still isn’t labor, no matter how much you may try to decree it. i’m not the biggest fan of labor’s leadership, i think the party is far too moderate, and i have routinely criticized the labor party for its actions. and it’s not just me, other members of peace are also proud peaceniks who see ourselves as separate from labia. as for why we endorse each other’s candidates, i’m not going to force myself to run candidates in every election just to prove our ✨independence✨ from labor, especially giving our party’s smaller size. i endorse laborites not because i fantasize about sucking pericles’ cock every night, but because while i’m not the biggest fan of 'em, they’re still better than the other guys.

One. In Atlasia, the UK is a part of our country. Two. Peace is a separate political entity but only insofar as the Co-operative Party IRL. I will reference this because this is the commentary thread and not the regular AFE forum. If you want a canon reference, the relationship is like that of a sister party, like that of the CDU and CSU. Similarly to the party pairs mentioned, Labor and Peace do not compete against each other and you can see this in their electoral cooperation in virtually all elections NPC and not. Additionally, they run a combined left slate, together, for House, and run only one candidate for Southern Governor, whether Labor or Peace.

Obviously, this arrangement is not unprecedented internationally and I don't know if the honorable Delegate was looking for a straw man argument to defeat in making that the issue but voting for Peace represents the illusion of a choice that isn't Labor.

the united kingdom is still sovereign, by the way. the parliament of the united kingdom still exists, and so do its political parties. sorry if you wanted a gotcha moment, but the act that “added” the uk to our union was at best a social and economic union between atlasia and britain. the uk even holds its own general elections, for dave’s sake! better luck next time, mon ami.

Even though this is true, the presumption, as has been the case implied from some campaigners who have taken liberties with the facts, is that since Missouri is a conservative state so any problems there is the fault of a Federalist state government, when we don't know what government Missouri has. It could be a Labor government, it could be a split government, it could be a coalition in the legislature (in one or both houses) which impedes legislative action, etc, etc.

And as I said, "if you elect [them] here in Missouri?" I made it very clear that I meant if there are all these problems why has aid not come from the longtime Labor-Peace (ha) governments in Nyman and Nashville. Anyone can tell this was not an implication that Peace governs in Jefferson City.

The state government has a role but if projects are so great, so expensive, the regional and/or federal government has to step in to help, as I explained at length in my speech.

the reason why nyman and nashville haven’t help missouri out in this regard is because there was no canonical missouri state government to interact with. if paxists in either city want to help out missouri with funding these projects that chamberlin proposes, then they can go right ahead.

oh yeah, and like i said before, no party currently holds any power in missouri state government. that’s why i’ve never said missouri’s problems were the fault of any non-irl political party, and why i said “if”, because missouri doesn’t have a governor right now.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »

By offhandedly mentioning one wholly independent country and another in union with us, it implies that both are wholly apart from this country when Britons can run for and serve in office in Atlasia, but I digress. Additionally, you seem to imply that if an NPC locality hasn't been elected, a government whether regional or federal, simply cannot offer up legislation that improves the state of affairs in that place (namely a state). By that logic, no improvements could have been made before NPC elections began. Also, calling out things like specific emergency room closings and other very specific problems might not even be canon given regional/federal legislation enacted in the game in comparison to RL.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »

Lastly, with worsening climate change, we'll create detailed, comprehensive plans for hurricane response - as Hurricane Harvey showed, Texas needs more disaster preparedness plans. 

Not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but just a reminder that Harvey actually hit Florida in-game, not Texas.

EDIT: link here
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2020, 02:05:58 PM »

Lastly, with worsening climate change, we'll create detailed, comprehensive plans for hurricane response - as Hurricane Harvey showed, Texas needs more disaster preparedness plans. 

Not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but just a reminder that Harvey actually hit Florida in-game, not Texas.

EDIT: link here
Ack! I'll edit that, thanks for catching this!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

By offhandedly mentioning one wholly independent country and another in union with us, it implies that both are wholly apart from this country when Britons can run for and serve in office in Atlasia, but I digress.

The union is only for limited jurisdictional and electoral purposes. That's it. And my point still stands, the UK still has its own political parties just like IRL.

Additionally, you seem to imply that if an NPC locality hasn't been elected, a government whether regional or federal, simply cannot offer up legislation that improves the state of affairs in that place (namely a state). By that logic, no improvements could have been made before NPC elections began.

Of course a federal or regional government can enact laws that help the people of a given locality, like a state. However, it's goofy for a regional legislature to create laws that only affect one state, as every state is different. Those seem like jobs that are better fit for a state legislature, which is currently controlled by Lumine.

Also, calling out things like specific emergency room closings and other very specific problems might not even be canon given regional/federal legislation enacted in the game in comparison to RL.

This is a valid concern, but I mean, if we assume all events aren't real unless given the thumbs up by the Pontifex, then we have very few things to base our NPC campaigns on. This is especially true when considering that most GM news is regarding stuff that state legislatures have little to no control over. Maybe I'm wrong, but I generally thought that was the consensus among most Atlasians. We obviously cannot make up our own numbers (like unemployment numbers, COVID statistics, etc.), but still, I rest my case.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2020, 06:49:45 PM »

Of course a federal or regional government can enact laws that help the people of a given locality, like a state. However, it's goofy for a regional legislature to create laws that only affect one state, as every state is different. Those seem like jobs that are better fit for a state legislature, which is currently controlled by Lumine.

Clearly, no one is calling for this outside of a natural disaster scenario. The honorable Delegate again prefers to erect a straw man argument to defeat instead of actually confronting her opponent's positions genuinely. If the problems are so bad as the honorable Delegate proclaims them to be perhaps either the longtime regional and/or national left-wing governments could have done something about these issues in terms of monetary aid (for infrastructure building, hospital upkeep, etc.) to the states?

This could be on the basis of need in a way to be determined or based on the population of each state but obviously not limited to one state since the gentlewoman complains about issues in both Missouri and Texas. No one thinks there are problems in just one state.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2020, 07:15:27 PM »

Clearly, no one is calling for this outside of a natural disaster scenario. The honorable Delegate again prefers to erect a straw man argument to defeat instead of actually confronting her opponent's positions genuinely. If the problems are so bad as the honorable Delegate proclaims them to be perhaps either the longtime regional and/or national left-wing governments could have done something about these issues in terms of monetary aid (for infrastructure building, hospital upkeep, etc.) to the states?

This could be on the basis of need in a way to be determined or based on the population of each state but obviously not limited to one state since the gentlewoman complains about issues in both Missouri and Texas. No one thinks there are problems in just one state.

perhaps i maybe misunderstood what you said originally? maybe i'm just goofy, but the way i interpreted your statement that i was responding to in your quote was that it is the fault of the quote-unquote "labor-peace compact" that already held executive power in the south that should've implemented these policies in missouri in the first place, even though:

1. labor only controlled the governor's mansion, the left coalition was still a minority in the cod
2. peace hasn't held the governor's mansion since last january
3. ignoring when dtc was a laborite despite having a lot of fed-leaning beliefs, the left hasn't had a majority since last march, and the peace party alone hasn't had a majority in the chamber...ever

once again, maybe i'm just misinterpreting you, but i honestly don't get what you could've meant when you said that. i'm not trying to debate you, i'm trying to understand why and how you feel the way you do so i can answer your questions effectively lol
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »

For a response to the Peace is a puppet arguement.
Koopa ran against Devout Centrist (a laborite) in June for Fremont's Senate election.

Leinad was a Paxist and was elected in October 2019.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »

@Koopa: The Governor can direct the Chamber and I don't buy that a 'right-majority' chamber has had a stranglehold in the South. 1. DTC wrote a bill that raised taxes in the South just recently (as a Fed) and Spark introduced economically LW legislation as a Delegate multiple times. Additionally, the DA is basically centrist or center-left.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »

DA being "center to center-left" is something I disagree with, but that's besides the point.

The governor can direct the Chamber, but I mean, does the Chamber actually have any obligation to follow his orders directly? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused as to what you mean.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »

DA being "center to center-left" is something I disagree with, but that's besides the point.

The governor can direct the Chamber, but I mean, does the Chamber actually have any obligation to follow his orders directly? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused as to what you mean.

The programs we are talking about are basically uncontroversial and would pass with Federalist support. For example, Congresswoman Jessica and I support social programs, not to the extent of Labor but that's not what we're talking about. That isn't required to remedy the problems you describe.

And I have no doubt a moderate hospital or infrastructure spending bill would pass unanimously or almost unanimously in the Chamber today.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »

The programs we are talking about are basically uncontroversial and would pass with Federalist support. For example, Congresswoman Jessica and I support social programs, not to the extent of Labor but that's not what we're talking about. That isn't required to remedy the problems you describe.

And I have no doubt a moderate hospital or infrastructure spending bill would pass unanimously or almost unanimously in the Chamber today.

Fair, and I'd absolutely be okay with supporting such a bill in the Chamber, or even writing such law myself, which I might do this session. However, does that not mean that I cannot use it as a campaign promise? And if so, what can be used as a campaign promise? If the Chamber is so awesome and can do everything the state legislature can, then what's the point of a state legislature?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »

Fair, and I'd absolutely be okay with supporting such a bill in the Chamber, or even writing such law myself, which I might do this session. However, does that not mean that I cannot use it as a campaign promise? And if so, what can be used as a campaign promise? If the Chamber is so awesome and can do everything the state legislature can, then what's the point of a state legislature?

State government has a role as I've noted before in my speeches. However, some jobs as so expensive they require monetary assistance for the state(s) from the region or the federal government.

My point of disagreement/concern was that to me it seemed too big of a 'wishlist' for a state legislature to accomplish alone, especially because there is a regional government (in the game). You're well within your rights to campaign on those promises, though.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »

State government has a role as I've noted before in my speeches. However, some jobs as so expensive they require monetary assistance for the state(s) from the region or the federal government.

My point of disagreement/concern was that to me it seemed too big of a 'wishlist' for a state legislature to accomplish alone, especially because there is a regional government (in the game). You're well within your rights to campaign on those promises, though.

Well okay then. If that's the issue you have with me, I'm on board with that. As someone who currently holds a seat in the Chamber, I can certainly co-operate with the state government to fund such a project. You do make a good point when it comes to pragmatism and practicality, and I'm willing to work around that issue if you think that would be a problem.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »

NJ Radio Ad: Not Right (to air statewide on all radio stations)

Person #2: Well John, I do know that they supported tax cuts for big corporations

Person #1: So Mary, do you mean that they want violent criminals to walk around with guns and not ever even have a background check, I'm getting the feeling that the Federalists aren't for us.

Tell me where they all oppose background checks, and support tax cuts on big corporations.

If Labor thinks that the Federalists are Republicans, that's b****hit
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »

:thonking:
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »

I've heard green people don't feel accepted so they hide and don't go out. They don't have to fear we accept everyone in the state. We will fight any form of discrimination.

George Bush doesn't care about green people.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »

The fact is that every true Nebraskan knows there are two choices in this election. The Labor party is the party of the farmers and self-government; the opposition is the party of centralism and Eastern interests.

There are a number of so-called conservative carpetbaggers who have come out here in recent days expecting easy votes. Well, they are about to find out that Nebraskans have more sense than to be taken in by a lot of Eastern imperialists.

Poirot was the only one who campaigned in Nebraska other then you and he isn't a centralist by any means.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »

The fact is that every true Nebraskan knows there are two choices in this election. The Labor party is the party of the farmers and self-government; the opposition is the party of centralism and Eastern interests.

There are a number of so-called conservative carpetbaggers who have come out here in recent days expecting easy votes. Well, they are about to find out that Nebraskans have more sense than to be taken in by a lot of Eastern imperialists.

Poirot was the only one who campaigned in Nebraska other then you and he isn't a centralist by any means.

Poirot had a conservative voting record in the House so Truman isn't wrong. Honestly I'm sick of this Poirot worship, just because he runs a lot doesn't mean he should win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies