Michigan 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:54:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Michigan 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan 2000  (Read 2080 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »

ABC and NBC had it as too close to call, but around 8:01, they gave it to Gore.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 10:55:32 PM »

Gore won by 5. It would've been hard to see how Bush could've closed the gap.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:07:55 PM »

Gore won by 5. It would've been hard to see how Bush could've closed the gap.
Rs winning MI in 2000 would have been hard unless it was popular R incumbent winnin re-elex with 300+ EVs. The state's fundamentals were more Dem than now.
Jamison5
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:55 PM »

It was so crazy how they called states for Democrats so hastily back then. FL before polls closed, MI at poll closing. PA after like 40 minutes. New Mexico they called for Gore extremely early. They had to temporarily retract the call of the WA Senate election. I think they also called Georgia and New Hampshire for Bill Clinton at poll closing when they were among the absolute closest states in 1992. They also temporarily retracted the call of ME-02 for Bill Clinton when it turned out that Perot was a very close 2nd in the district. Oh and Dukakis won Illinois, right? Did they ever make a call for the Republican that they retracted other than FL for Bush?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:08:39 AM »

It was so crazy how they called states for Democrats so hastily back then. FL before polls closed, MI at poll closing. PA after like 40 minutes. New Mexico they called for Gore extremely early. They had to temporarily retract the call of the WA Senate election. I think they also called Georgia and New Hampshire for Bill Clinton at poll closing when they were among the absolute closest states in 1992. They also temporarily retracted the call of ME-02 for Bill Clinton when it turned out that Perot was a very close 2nd in the district. Oh and Dukakis won Illinois, right? Did they ever make a call for the Republican that they retracted other than FL for Bush?

Yah ABC in 1980 called Maryland for Reagan
Jamison5
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:44 AM »

Ok. I did not know that. What time did they call it and when did they retract and when did the call it for Carter? They actually called most of the really close southern states for Reagan very quickly, didn't they? I think I remember seeing that part at least.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 06:37:40 PM »

Ok. I did not know that. What time did they call it and when did they retract and when did the call it for Carter? They actually called most of the really close southern states for Reagan very quickly, didn't they? I think I remember seeing that part at least.

Massachusetts was also erroneously called for Carter initially in 1980.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 08:49:48 PM »

MI was called likely because the Senate contest was close too, but Abraham outpolled Bush.  When Abraham was neck and neck with Stabenow, Bush was going to fall short. When exit polls were used, that was an easy poll-close call for Gore.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies