Will Cuomo carry Staten Island in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:36:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Cuomo carry Staten Island in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Andrew Cuomo carry Staten Island in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Will Cuomo carry Staten Island in 2022?  (Read 2037 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:16 AM »

Will Andrew Cuomo win Staten Island in 2022? He carried it in all his previous elections. Will the streak continue?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:00:32 AM »

No, and in fact, I don't think Cuomo wins any counties outside of Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and maybe Queens and Westchester.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:10:36 AM »

No, and in fact, I don't think Cuomo wins any counties outside of Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and maybe Queens and Westchester.

Tompkins?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 03:12:19 AM »

Tompkins?

College County or not , Cuomo is literally hated upstate and on Long Island.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 08:04:45 AM »

Lol at Cuomo not winning Queens, Westchester, and Albany.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »

How much did Cuomo win Staten Island before? I imagine it must've been close both times.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »

I doubt it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 10:13:36 AM »

How much did Cuomo win Staten Island before? I imagine it must've been close both times.

Not really

He won 54/43 in 2014, and 50/48 in 2018. So it got a lot closer, but the first time it wasn't close at all. In 2010 he won it by around the same as 2014.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:05:51 AM »

Pretty unlikely, although interesting to note he previously did do better here (and on Long Island) than national Democrats, while being despised Upstate - literally did worse there in 2014 and 2018 than Hillary in 2016.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »

No he won't, but I think it'll probably be close.
Red Wall

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »

He did worse in the 2018 D wave than in the 2014 R wave so no. Plus Cuomo fatigue in Staten Island is probably just slightly below than in Upstate where he is the most hated given that he'll be running for a fourth term. His italian surname won't save him there this time.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »

In all of New York? Beyond doubtful. There are more upstate counties he's likely to win, including Erie.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »

Probably not, but it will be close.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 09:14:23 PM »

In all of New York? Beyond doubtful. There are more upstate counties he's likely to win, including Erie.

That's not going to happen, but I think it's possible, even likely that Cuomo wins even fewer counties than last time. His 15 could easily go to 10 in 2022, even if he wins.

The 2020 Presidential Election was D+4.5%, and we're going to approximate that that was roughly the "national environment" in 2020. Even in a midterm that goes decently for the Democrats, the national vote would be more like R+2. Just applying a blanket 6.5% rightward shift to Cuomo's results loses him Onondaga, Staten Island, and Suffolk Counties. Once you factor in Cuomo's declining popularity and the disproportionate dislike for him Upstate, I don't think him losing Erie and/or Monroe County is at all unlikely (both were under 52% Cuomo). I wouldn't be shocked if all he wins are Tompkins, Westchester, and Nassau Counties + the 4 Boroughs in NYC. He will certainly win in any case, but he could get wiped out Upstate.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »

That's not going to happen, but I think it's possible, even likely that Cuomo wins even fewer counties than last time. His 15 could easily go to 10 in 2022, even if he wins.

The 2020 Presidential Election was D+4.5%, and we're going to approximate that that was roughly the "national environment" in 2020. Even in a midterm that goes decently for the Democrats, the national vote would be more like R+2. Just applying a blanket 6.5% rightward shift to Cuomo's results loses him Onondaga, Staten Island, and Suffolk Counties. Once you factor in Cuomo's declining popularity and the disproportionate dislike for him Upstate, I don't think him losing Erie and/or Monroe County is at all unlikely (both were under 52% Cuomo). I wouldn't be shocked if all he wins are Tompkins, Westchester, and Nassau Counties + the 4 Boroughs in NYC. He will certainly win in any case, but he could get wiped out Upstate.

Nassau is far from a lock for Cuomo. I’m curious as to how Schumer will do. In the past, he’s gotten a ton of crossover appeal upstate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »

Nassau is far from a lock for Cuomo. I’m curious as to how Schumer will do. In the past, he’s gotten a ton of crossover appeal upstate.

I suspect Schumer will do much worse in Upstate then he did in 2004, 2010, and 2016, and will have a performance similar to that of Kristen Gillibrand in 2018. She herself did much worse than she had in 2010 and 2012, losing many of the Upstate counties that she had previously carried. As last year's Senatorial races showed, polarization is now heavily influencing them as well-the same kind of polarization as can be found at the presidential level. Senatorial candidates have become more associated with their party, and less capable of breaking away from its brand, although there continue to be some exceptions (i.e. Susan Collins, Joe Manchin, Sherrod Brown, Jon Tester).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 01:45:57 PM »

Honestly...if he wants to run again, he will be lucky to win Nassau.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »

Tompkins?

College County or not , Cuomo is literally hated upstate and on Long Island.

Lol what? Tompkins County is Titanium D. You realize his favorability rating is 57% in the latest Siena Poll?
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=74yj

He will win by 10 or so.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »

If Max Rose runs for a rematch against Malliotakis in 2022, Rose, Schumer and Cusick could pull Cuomo to the finish line on SI.

Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »

Possibly.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »

I think Cuomo can win Nassau, Nassau is more diverse than Suffolk. If Cuomo loses the suburbs, but NYC cancels out the rest of the state, a lot of Senate and Assembly Democrats will go down on the ballot....
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »

Honestly...if he wants to run again, he will be lucky to win Nassau.

What?

Cuomo won Nassau in '18 by like 10 points. Even if he very much underperforms he will win it.

Captain_Tom
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Will Andrew Cuomo win Staten Island in 2022? He carried it in all his previous elections. Will the streak continue?
No way.  I think Republicans actually have a seriously good chance to win in 2022.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies