Black vote as the future of the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:52:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Black vote as the future of the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black vote as the future of the GOP  (Read 1277 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« on: August 18, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »

I'm very skeptical of this theory. I think the main reason black voters are so Democratic-leaning is the fact that the GOP is seen as having a condescending attitude on racial issues, and that their economic policies do nothing to help poor Black people living in urban areas. A good argument is to tone down the racial rhetoric of course, but also to suggest that Democratic policies have done nothing to help them. They can point to heavily-black cities like Detroit, Baltimore, and St. Louis, saying that Democrats have held power for decades and there's been no meaningful increase in the quality of life for the community.

Of couse, all Democrats need to do to counter the argument is to suggest that the GOP hasn't really changed one bit on race or that it's part of a larger pattern of contempt for working class Americans, and that it's their policies at federal and state level that are responsible for African-American hardships.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 04:43:33 PM »

For Republicans to win over minorities, they need an issue like SSM again. When the Republican Party can say “We represent religious values,” they can feasibly win over Hispanics, Blacks, and Muslims. I do think a key selling point of that could be trade, as Donald Trump has discovered.

SSM is old news.......a lot of white Americans are pro SSM

Trade, you are right.

That is why someone like Josh Hawley could be appealing......

Hence why I said something like. Of course, if the tide begins to turn against SSM, we’ll see that re-emerge.

Just like the tide will eventually turn against the abolition of slavery, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies