Black vote as the future of the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:53:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Black vote as the future of the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black vote as the future of the GOP  (Read 1281 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: August 19, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »

History tells us that there are a significant chunk of Black voters who are cynical (realistic?) enough to not see either party as explicitly looking out for them ... they've long been written about as a strategic voting group.  Black voters gave Stevenson their vote in 1956 after Eisenhower enforced Brown v. Board and Stevenson literally picked a segregationist as President.  Republican warnings that a vote for a Northern Democrat was simply a vote for a Southern Democrat to keep his committee assignment and therefore torpedo civil rights bills fell flat all throughout the mid-Twentieth Century.  My point?  I don't think there are a bunch of Black voters who would be voting Republican if they didn't see the GOP as racist ... hate to burst your bubble, but I'm sure many Black Democrats see White Democrats as racist, too, even if not as much.

Based on polling and interviews I have seen, the Black vote is very strategic and communitarian in nature.  Wealthy Blacks aren't voting for the Democrats because the GOP is unbecoming ... they are voting for Democrats because they see Democratic policies as advancing the Black community's standing in America more than GOP policies.  If Republicans want to start winning some of the Black vote, they first have the very tough task of convincing Black voters that they no longer have the need in 2020s America to "stick together" to the extent they have for decades and decades.  Given recent events ... good luck with that.  Black voters need to feel as comfortable, non-threatened and "ahead" in society as White voters to vote with their diversity.  Small groups that have faced decades of persecution and injustice naturally think that their power to enact change is best concentrated in one political party in which the group can exert maximum influence; I mean, just look at how Black support more or less decides who the Democratic nominee will be.  Republican Black leaders in the 1940s and 1950s argued that Blacks should be voting Republican, too, so as to establish the voting bloc as the "balance of power" ... the argument got crushed in favor of continuing to expand Black influence in the Democratic Party.

I think in 30-40 years, when those who grew up with parents who were segregationists or run-of-the-mill racists of the 1960s and 1970s variety have passed on from this world, you might start to see new generations view Black Americans in a different, more "assimilated" way (I'm using this word as far as economic, educational and social status rather than cultural here), and this might cause the Black vote to splinter into more of a 70/30 Democratic vote.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »

For Republicans to win over minorities, they need an issue like SSM again. When the Republican Party can say “We represent religious values,” they can feasibly win over Hispanics, Blacks, and Muslims. I do think a key selling point of that could be trade, as Donald Trump has discovered.

SSM is old news.......a lot of white Americans are pro SSM

Trade, you are right.

That is why someone like Josh Hawley could be appealing......

Hence why I said something like. Of course, if the tide begins to turn against SSM, we’ll see that re-emerge.

Just like the tide will eventually turn against the abolition of slavery, right?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies