Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:41:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score.  (Read 897 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 19, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »

Nerds!

I'm good with maps and I only got 61 on Dule's link.  Africa is hard (and I like to think I know the African countries pretty well) but I did get Togo and Benin (and the obvious ones) somehow, the island countries that aren't big/important ones are impossible.  The Balkans and Baltics were hard too (only got Estonia and Croatia).  Who the hell knows what Latvia looks like when it's not on a map?  You nerds do, that's who.  The former USSR -stans I still can't figure out (even on a blank map), are there any tricks to learning them?

<I call you nerds out of love (and mockery), not hate (and mockery).  There is nothing wrong with being a nerd about something.  Maybe being a nerd about maps isn't as useful as being a nerd about, say, minor home repairs, but it's every bit as useful as being a nerd about basketball or math or cars or shoes>
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »

Nerds!

I'm good with maps and I only got 61 on Dule's link.  Africa is hard (and I like to think I know the African countries pretty well) but I did get Togo and Benin (and the obvious ones) somehow, the island countries that aren't big/important ones are impossible.  The Balkans and Baltics were hard too (only got Estonia and Croatia).  Who the hell knows what Latvia looks like when it's not on a map?  You nerds do, that's who.  The former USSR -stans I still can't figure out (even on a blank map), are there any tricks to learning them?

For the USSR:
Kazakhstan is the largest one by far. Turkmenistan is closest to Turkey. Uzbekistan has very straight lines on their western border. Kyrgyzstan has a lake in the middle of it, and Tajikistan is the smallest one in the Southeast. Does that help at all?
sure, if can remember any of the specifics.  The Turk/Turkey bit will help, I'll probably be able to remember that.  If I can remember that Kazak- is the largest, maybe I can remember that the other K- one is to it's southeast?  They do seem to go in order alphabetically if you go clockwise in a circle starting at the top.

Maybe it would help if I knew the politics and/or cultures of these places, but my ignorance is probably on par with most Americans (maybe a little higher 'cause I at least know they exist Smiley ).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies