Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score.  (Read 883 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 19, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »

Nerds!

I'm good with maps and I only got 61 on Dule's link.  Africa is hard (and I like to think I know the African countries pretty well) but I did get Togo and Benin (and the obvious ones) somehow, the island countries that aren't big/important ones are impossible.  The Balkans and Baltics were hard too (only got Estonia and Croatia).  Who the hell knows what Latvia looks like when it's not on a map?  You nerds do, that's who.  The former USSR -stans I still can't figure out (even on a blank map), are there any tricks to learning them?

For the USSR:
Kazakhstan is the largest one by far. Turkmenistan is closest to Turkey. Uzbekistan has very straight lines on their western border. Kyrgyzstan has a lake in the middle of it, and Tajikistan is the smallest one in the Southeast. Does that help at all?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:46:57 PM »

sure, if can remember any of the specifics.  The Turk/Turkey bit will help, I'll probably be able to remember that.  If I can remember that Kazak- is the largest, maybe I can remember that the other K- one is to it's southeast?  They do seem to go in order alphabetically if you go clockwise in a circle starting at the top.

Maybe it would help if I knew the politics and/or cultures of these places, but my ignorance is probably on par with most Americans (maybe a little higher 'cause I at least know they exist Smiley ).
The predominant culture is Turkic. Turkmen and Turkish are closely related languages, as are Kazahk and Kyrgyz (the latter two are sometimes considered one language). Uzbek is related to the Uyghur language. Tajiki is a dialect of Persian, and is the only non-Turkic culture/language/people.

If you have any actual interest in Central Asian cultures, I’d recommend:
Civil Society in Central Asia by Waugh, Daniel
Central Asia in World History by Golden, Peter
And anything by Edward Allworth, one of the best scholars on the subject.

(I doubt you were *that* interested in learning more about it, but I already typed this out. No reason not to post it!)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies