Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:19:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Geography test: "Guess the Country Shape." Take it and post your score.  (Read 862 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »

Nerds!

I'm good with maps and I only got 61 on Dule's link.  Africa is hard (and I like to think I know the African countries pretty well) but I did get Togo and Benin (and the obvious ones) somehow, the island countries that aren't big/important ones are impossible.  The Balkans and Baltics were hard too (only got Estonia and Croatia).  Who the hell knows what Latvia looks like when it's not on a map?  You nerds do, that's who.  The former USSR -stans I still can't figure out (even on a blank map), are there any tricks to learning them?

For the USSR:
Kazakhstan is the largest one by far. Turkmenistan is closest to Turkey. Uzbekistan has very straight lines on their western border. Kyrgyzstan has a lake in the middle of it, and Tajikistan is the smallest one in the Southeast. Does that help at all?

"largest" and "closest to Turkey" have nothing to do with shape.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »

Nerds!

I'm good with maps and I only got 61 on Dule's link.  Africa is hard (and I like to think I know the African countries pretty well) but I did get Togo and Benin (and the obvious ones) somehow, the island countries that aren't big/important ones are impossible.  The Balkans and Baltics were hard too (only got Estonia and Croatia).  Who the hell knows what Latvia looks like when it's not on a map?  You nerds do, that's who.  The former USSR -stans I still can't figure out (even on a blank map), are there any tricks to learning them?

For the USSR:
Kazakhstan is the largest one by far. Turkmenistan is closest to Turkey. Uzbekistan has very straight lines on their western border. Kyrgyzstan has a lake in the middle of it, and Tajikistan is the smallest one in the Southeast. Does that help at all?
sure, if can remember any of the specifics.  The Turk/Turkey bit will help, I'll probably be able to remember that.  If I can remember that Kazak- is the largest, maybe I can remember that the other K- one is to it's southeast?  They do seem to go in order alphabetically if you go clockwise in a circle starting at the top.

Maybe it would help if I knew the politics and/or cultures of these places, but my ignorance is probably on par with most Americans (maybe a little higher 'cause I at least know they exist Smiley ).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »

I've been taking these country shape/capital/flag/statistics quizzes just for fun these days as I study for the LSAT. I'm hoping they will improve my memory for the logic games.

Countries of the world
Flags of the world
All world capitals

I can do the first one fairly easily. The flags are abominably hard; they took me multiple tries to get through with 100%, and part of that was just remembering which ones were where in the quiz. I still don't have all the capitals memorized, though. The atlas I studied as a kid is now very out-of-date, so I'm having to revise my knowledge of capitals like Nur-Sultan, Dodoma, etc. I can now do Africa, Europe, South America, and Asia, but the Caribbean and Pacific islands are just way too much. Nobody cares about f**king South Tarawa!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 06:46:57 PM »

sure, if can remember any of the specifics.  The Turk/Turkey bit will help, I'll probably be able to remember that.  If I can remember that Kazak- is the largest, maybe I can remember that the other K- one is to it's southeast?  They do seem to go in order alphabetically if you go clockwise in a circle starting at the top.

Maybe it would help if I knew the politics and/or cultures of these places, but my ignorance is probably on par with most Americans (maybe a little higher 'cause I at least know they exist Smiley ).
The predominant culture is Turkic. Turkmen and Turkish are closely related languages, as are Kazahk and Kyrgyz (the latter two are sometimes considered one language). Uzbek is related to the Uyghur language. Tajiki is a dialect of Persian, and is the only non-Turkic culture/language/people.

If you have any actual interest in Central Asian cultures, I’d recommend:
Civil Society in Central Asia by Waugh, Daniel
Central Asia in World History by Golden, Peter
And anything by Edward Allworth, one of the best scholars on the subject.

(I doubt you were *that* interested in learning more about it, but I already typed this out. No reason not to post it!)
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »

169/196 (86%) on John Dule's test

I missed:

• Malta
  • Cape Verde
  • Luxembourg
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Nauru
  • Liechtenstein
  • F.S. Micronesia
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • São Tomé and Príncipe
  • Kiribati
  • Vanuatu
  • Marshall Islands
  • Seychelles
  • Comoros
  • Bahrain
  • Burundi
  • Tuvalu
  • Saint Lucia
  • Tonga
  • Samoa
  • Palau
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Mauritius
  • Andorra
  • Rwanda
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »

137/196 on Dule's.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »

167 on Dule's, I missed almost all of the Caribbean and Pacific island countries
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2021, 05:15:06 PM »

I got 150/196, 77%
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2021, 10:06:00 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2021, 10:09:14 AM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

Do not view the message below, unless you already took the test.
It may give you hints or direct answers, and may "spoil" your true results.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Anyway, 100% for part 1, tho it easily could've been 98% had it not been for question order helping me as I mentioned above.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »

Missed four. One was Turkey of all things. I could not get Puerto Rico out of my mind, even though I knew it was not a nation. Sad. Kazakhstan utterly flummoxed me. I don't feel embarrassed about that one. And then I reversed Senegal and Gambia, and so was wrong on both. My proudest achievement was to get Croatia right. And aside from the PR thing, I got all the islands right. I have always liked islands.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2021, 12:27:24 AM »

New game!
Geography Test.
Guess the country shape from an outline from a random selection of 50 nations.

Test done while watching a YouTube video.
You need to keep track of your own score while you are taking the test. So have a piece of scratch paper and pen handy, so you can keep track of the number you got wrong (or correct, whichever is easier for you).

There are 50 nations depicted. So your score is based on 50 points.
There is a 4-part series to this, but this one is graded as "Easy." The others are Medium, Hard and Extreme.

Click here to start the video ... https://youtu.be/fsGwNYV21XU
Good luck.
Easy: 50/50
Medium: 50/50
Hard: 47/50
Extreme: 20/46
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies