Weird 538 maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Weird 538 maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weird 538 maps  (Read 11486 times)
Kuumo

P P
« on: August 20, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »

Found these two amazing gems on the 538 model today.

This one looks like a parody of some bad Atlas takes like Biden being weak with Hispanics, Biden having a chance at winning Utah, Biden bringing back all the Obama-Trump voters to win Ohio, ME-02, and Montana, and Alaska being a "sleeper state" (muh trended D every election since 2008). With Republican New Jersey to top it at all off.

This map looks like one of those 2016-trends-on-steroids 2040 electoral maps or maybe a pro-life Democrat vs pro-choice Republican map (with a few exceptions like TX, MI, NC, NH).

There were also a lot of maps with Republican Minnesota and Democratic Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania that must've overreacted to that Trafalgar poll. Why did 538 have to cater to the muh 2016, 70% chance=100% chance crowd by publishing 100 maps a day instead of creating one user-friendly interactive map like in past years?
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:59:06 PM »

A lot going on here. Any potential scenarios? Atlanta gets hit by a meteor and Utah and Alaska offer a program to re-house the entire population, but for some reason, half get stuck en route in Mississippi?

See, I told you that the USC poll showing Biden +13, the Tralfalgar Minnesota poll, and the Landmark Communications Georgia poll were all true! I also predicted Susan Collins's megacoattails would give Maine AND New Hampshire to Trump, and no one believed me! I will now accept my accolades.

Yeah, I can't think of a non-meme explanation for this map.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:57:30 PM »

Why does OR always seem to be red in all the weird maps? These off maps seem to be Biden winning a random collection of safe R south eastern states, losing OR, and having a weird performance in the South West

This looks like a throwback to 1976. I can't wait for Biden to bring back the Jimmy Carter coalition!

After seeing all those maps, 538 appears to obsessed with the idea of Oregon going Republican.

Not only that, but I have seen it accompanied by Democratic Louisiana multiple times on otherwise realistic maps. Fivey Fox must be really obsessed with the fact that Oregon has a Republican Secretary of State and Louisiana has a Democratic Governor.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:01:26 PM »

Uhh, Wildfires in Oregon aren't fully contained by November cause the urban and suburban vote to move out of the state for a while and they vote throughout the country and Trump loses by a wide margin in general?

Kuumo

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:59 PM »

I complain about not having enough weird Trump win maps, and then we get this:

Trump/Pence 338
Biden/Harris 200

When millions of Democrats move to Mississippi to turn it blue.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 12:56:05 PM »

Some gems from a twitter thread a few weeks ago

This is my favorite Yellowstone Caldera scenario yet.

I had to check the electoral vote count to see if my eyes were deceiving me with Republican Hawaii. Either there was a 2004-on-steroids pro-incumbent swing or there was a second volcanic eruption that killed everyone except a few naval ships outside the blast radius with majority Republican crew members.

Also, the obligatory
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »

The NH women got angry at Biden!
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2020, 05:12:25 PM by Kuumo »

I was pleasantly surprised by that. Usually those hipsters in Portland stay home or vote Hawkins en masse because they don't want Oregon to vote like Louisiana and Mississippi.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies