MA-UMass Amherst (D primary): Markey +18/+15
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:44:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  MA-UMass Amherst (D primary): Markey +18/+15
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MA-UMass Amherst (D primary): Markey +18/+15  (Read 1729 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »

Very considerate of Kennedy to throw away his political career early, I was worried we might have to deal with him being in politics for the long haul

For once, I have to agree with you. I've actually been pleasantly surprised that Massachusetts looks set to reject him, and I clearly overestimated the power which the Kennedy name still had in the state. I'm not a staunch progressive, but I'm dead-set against political dynasties.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »

Very considerate of Kennedy to throw away his political career early, I was worried we might have to deal with him being in politics for the long haul

For once, I have to agree with you. I've actually been pleasantly surprised that Massachusetts looks set to reject him, and I clearly overestimated the power which the Kennedy name still had in the state. I'm not a staunch progressive, but I'm dead-set against political dynasties.

So if someone has a relative who held office they should be barred from holding it themselves? Seems pretty stupid
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »

Most of the younger Kennedys except Ted Kennedys kids have been rejected Caroline Kennedy ran for Hillary seat, Kathleen Townsend lost to Ehrich after LT Gov and Chris Kennedy lost to JB Pritzker in IL Gov primary
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »

So if someone has a relative who held office they should be barred from holding it themselves? Seems pretty stupid

Not who you were responding to, but political dynasties are a bit of a double-edged sword. Sometimes, the nepotism lands you somebody who's simply unsuited for political jobs but get in anyway on name alone: W.

But the upshot of it - as has been seen with some members of the Roosevelt & Kennedy families - is that, because you have a certain legacy to uphold, you have that added pressure to do your job well: you have to be a good politician not just for yourself & the people you represent, but as a representative of your family too, & though you may personally disagree with them, a majority of Massachusetts Democrats are seemingly about to agree that JKIII hasn't able to do so.

(Also, JKIII blatantly seeking to copy old JFK buttons for nostalgic purposes doesn't exactly help the argument that he's not trying to get elected to the Senate on the basis of his name alone. Just saying.)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »

Kennedy might have destroyed his career.

Yikes.

A Kennedy losing a primary in Massachusetts to a fairly unknown old timer like Markey is gonna be hard to come back from.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »

Kennedy might have destroyed his career.

Yikes.

A Kennedy losing a primary in Massachusetts to a fairly unknown old timer like Markey is gonna be hard to come back from.

Chris Kennedy lost to JB Pritzker in 2018 IL primary, Kennedys do lose. Of course, Teddy lost to Carter for Prez
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »

This is the United States, so such a prohibition on relatives running for political office would be unconstitutional. However, that does not mean the voters have to allow for it. They can prevent the maintenance of political dynasties by rejecting them at the ballot box. And I hope that voters in Massachusetts will render their verdict on Kennedy and send him to an early retirement.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 09:38:23 PM »

Eh I don't think this is necessarily the death knell for JKIII. I think when Baker terms out he could run and conceivably win. The next time a senate seat comes open though he's going to have to deal with Pressley so I don't see him realistically as a senator until both Warren and Markey leave.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 04:37:52 AM »

Eh I don't think this is necessarily the death knell for JKIII. I think when Baker terms out he could run and conceivably win. The next time a senate seat comes open though he's going to have to deal with Pressley so I don't see him realistically as a senator until both Warren and Markey leave.

This is the end for Kennedy, he wanted to be Senator not Gov to have a shot to be Prez and Ds havent done well in any of the Gov races aside from Deval Patrick

Senator from MA, he would have had a competetive advantage to competetive with Harris in 2024, should Biden step aside as promised to serve only 1 term. Now, Harris will be the 47th Prez
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 05:16:41 AM »

Ideally Markey holds on and then we can get Ayanna Presley or Maura Healey to replace him in 2026.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2020, 07:09:49 AM »

Kennedy isnt running again, even if Warrem becomes part of the cabinet, he won't recover in time, to run another race
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »

Jeeeeezzzzz. Did Kennedy kick your dogs? I don't get what he's done to be so unpopular here
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »

Jeeeeezzzzz. Did Kennedy kick your dogs? I don't get what he's done to be so unpopular here

Why should he be popular? He’s opportunistically primarying one of the most progressive senators from slightly to the right.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2020, 01:52:29 PM »

Why should he be popular? He’s opportunistically primarying one of the most progressive senators from slightly to the right.

This is MA, outside of Boston, in other states Market isnt popular. There are members on this forum like myself that live in other states that are dead set against Market. He does nothing like the Kennedys for AA
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »

It's not even about being popular. It's that Markey polls better and Atlas is borderline rejoicing at it and saying Kennedy's career is possibly finished. Holy crap. If/when Warren gets put into the Biden cabinet her position will be tantamount to election for another Democrat and Kennedy will have another opportunity then.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »

It's not even about being popular. It's that Markey polls better and Atlas is borderline rejoicing at it and saying Kennedy's career is possibly finished. Holy crap. If/when Warren gets put into the Biden cabinet her position will be tantamount to election for another Democrat and Kennedy will have another opportunity then.

If he can't win against a once unknown but relatively productive Senator, what makes you think he'll win a primary as a retread against someone like Ayanna Pressely?
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2020, 11:12:35 PM »

If he can't win against a once unknown but relatively productive Senator, what makes you think he'll win a primary as a retread against someone like Ayanna Pressely?

Again... my observation is that the guy seems almost downright disliked here. I am not expecting him to be popular. This is literally the only case (aside from Trump) where someone is losing and there almost seems to be a reaction of joy. If there's something about Kennedy's policies that make people dislike him so much I'd want to be enlightened to it because someone else here would know better than me.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2020, 01:41:31 AM by South Dakota Democrat »

Again... my observation is that the guy seems almost downright disliked here. I am not expecting him to be popular. This is literally the only case (aside from Trump) where someone is losing and there almost seems to be a reaction of joy. If there's something about Kennedy's policies that make people dislike him so much I'd want to be enlightened to it because someone else here would know better than me.

I'll be honest, I dislike him at this point, and will be very happy if he loses.  Just doesn't sit well to me to challenge a sitting senator from the right, in a Democratic primary, just because you think you're entitled to the seat because you're a Kennedy.  I'm sorry, but what's his actual rationale for running?  Just seems like a very arrogant guy, and I hope his career is finished.

Edit:  Also, I have no idea why I am somehow supposed to feel sorry for him that his career will be over if he loses.  That's a risk that he took when he challenged an incumbent senator in the primary.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies