2008: Barack Obama vs. Rudy Giuliani
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:28:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Barack Obama vs. Rudy Giuliani
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins this matchup?
Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.)

Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-N.Y.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: 2008: Barack Obama vs. Rudy Giuliani  (Read 1532 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:30:31 PM »

A matchup of the ages.

Young Illinois Sen. Barack Obama faces off against former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, in which Giuliani uses Obama's race against him in a Dinkins-Giuliani type race from the 1990s.

Who wins?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:39 PM »

Giuliani would have had to choose a very right-wing running mate to satisfy the GOP base, but even then I think evangelicals and rural voters would have been very apprehensive about supporting a guy like Rudy.

He would have definitely done worse than McCain in the electoral college. I'm not sure by how much but I can imagine Missouri, Indiana, maybe even Georgia could have gone into Obama's column.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »

Giuliani would have had to choose a very right-wing running mate to satisfy the GOP base, but even then I think evangelicals and rural voters would have been very apprehensive about supporting a guy like Rudy.

He would have definitely done worse than McCain in the electoral college. I'm not sure by how much but I can imagine Missouri, Indiana, maybe even Georgia could have gone into Obama's column.

Giuliani-Barbour? Why do they like him now?
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »

No Republican was going to win in 2008.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »

Obama wins everything he did plus Missouri, Montana, Arizona (no McCain to help the GOP there), and Georgia. Maybe even the Dakotas and South Carolina.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »

In terms of political positions, Giuliani is a strong nominee. In terms of his personal life and possible corruption (Bernie Kerik) he's a horrible choice.

He's only able to flip Florida and New Hampshire from the IRL 2008.

Barack Obama/Joe Biden 51% 334 EV
Rudy Giuliani/Mike Huckabee 47% 204 EV
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »

In terms of political positions, Giuliani is a strong nominee. In terms of his personal life and possible corruption (Bernie Kerik) he's a horrible choice.

He's only able to flip Florida and New Hampshire from the IRL 2008.

Barack Obama/Joe Biden 51% 334 EV
Rudy Giuliani/Mike Huckabee 47% 204 EV

I don’t see it. The GOP was screwed no matter what in 2008, and Giuliani didn’t have enough appeal to core GOP voters to do BETTER than McCain. Hell, New Hampshire was a good state for McCain on paper but he still lost it by 10 points. Also, no WAY does Giuliani win MO yet still lose IN here, as close as it was.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »

I think Giuliani does pretty badly because he had a major problem in the primaries:  the more people got to know him, the less they liked him.  He would've needed a social conservative on the ticket because he was pro-choice to try to keep that flock of voters, so Huckabee is probably getting tapped for that slot.  I think once the economy collapsed the GOP was going to lose badly, but who knows, maybe Giuliani comes up with something worthwhile instead of McCain, who puddled around the issue and gave up.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 04:14:26 AM »

I think Giuliani does pretty badly because he had a major problem in the primaries:  the more people got to know him, the less they liked him.  He would've needed a social conservative on the ticket because he was pro-choice to try to keep that flock of voters, so Huckabee is probably getting tapped for that slot.  I think once the economy collapsed the GOP was going to lose badly, but who knows, maybe Giuliani comes up with something worthwhile instead of McCain, who puddled around the issue and gave up.

Giuliani was pretty unpopular as mayor prior to 9/11. Anyone who happened to occupy that office at that time would have been hailed as a national hero, unless they literally went and hugged Bin Laden.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies