America's new religion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  America's new religion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America's new religion  (Read 2232 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 22, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »

This is how religions get started. One guy tells a lie, too many people take him seriously, and somehow it ends up filling a void in people's lives by allowing them to feel self-righteous. In 1000 years you could easily have people demanding that their Qanon conspiracies receive recognition as a belief system. They'll get offended if you call them crazy and they'll worship at altars to Q. People who point out the obvious absurdities of their ramblings will be called "Qphobes" or just "edgy teens." All the while, they'll keep waiting for Q to topple the deep state, as they have for generations-- repeating "trust the plan" over and over again, hoping for a day of judgement that will never, ever come.

If QAnon manages to stick around for a millennium then it'll have earned its keep as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately for the rest of us, though, I think it's far likelier to die with Trump, possibly even with Trump's presidency.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »

Al Mohler's a big name in the "old-guard" religious right. Hopefully people will listen to him.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »

In the same way that BLM is the religion of liberals, sure.

"Every political movement I don't like is an evil religion, and every religion I don't like is an evil political movement."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies