America's new religion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:07:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  America's new religion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America's new religion  (Read 2233 times)
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« on: October 08, 2020, 03:23:17 AM »

QAnon has developed into an extreme wing of Republican-thought, an umbrella narrative for its conspiratorial edges. There are good cases for QAnon being overblown vs. being correctly assessed by the Mainstream Media. On the one hand, it's a minority view among Republicans.

Civiqs poll "Are you a supporter of QAnon?" Republicans say: 14% Yes, 31% No, 34% Never heard of it, 21% Unsure. People are more likely to have heard of QAnon if they're not the target audience for it at all! Most independents and a supermajority of Democrats have heard of QAnon and know they don't support it.

The case for it being correctly assessed is I think mostly in terms of QAnon support not being a significant dealbreaker for primary voters as Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene got noms for House elections. BUT they've both distanced themselves from conspiracy theory for the general election, simply running as red-meat conservatives with typical positions.

In the same way that BLM is the religion of liberals, sure.

"Every political movement I don't like is an evil religion, and every religion I don't like is an evil political movement."

BLM is not the name of the religion imo. But the new thing is that people seem to treat "don't be a bigot towards identity groups" not just as a simple rule, but with such a level of reverence and nuance that it becomes a core point in their morality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies