First Indictment of Durham Probe: Ex-FBI Lawyer to plead guilty for docturing email & FISA-warrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:04:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  First Indictment of Durham Probe: Ex-FBI Lawyer to plead guilty for docturing email & FISA-warrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First Indictment of Durham Probe: Ex-FBI Lawyer to plead guilty for docturing email & FISA-warrants  (Read 586 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2020, 10:57:07 AM by SirWoodbury »

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/14/politics/fbi-russia-clinesmith/index.html

An FBI lawyer who worked on the surveillance warrant of former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page plans to plead guilty Friday to making a false statement in an email as part of an investigation into the Russia investigation.

Kevin Clinesmith plans to admit to one charge of altering an email to another official in 2017 that said Page wasn't a previous government source, when he had been one.

Clinesmith had also been critical of President Donald Trump when he worked for the FBI.

Friday's charge represents the first public production from the highly anticipated Durham investigation and will likely provide political fodder for Trump amid a storm of negative headlines regarding his management of the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump kicked off his Friday afternoon briefing with a brief reference to Clinesmith.
"That's just the beginning... what happened should never happen again. He is pleading guilty, terrible thing, terrible thing. The fact is they spied on my campaign and they got caught and you'll be hearing more," Trump said.

Barr teased the announcement late Thursday in an interview with a Fox News program that Trump is known to watch regularly -- just hours after Trump told the network that he hoped Durham and Barr would not shy away from more serious conclusions and appeared to belittle prospective charges against Clinesmith.
"I hope they're doing a job, I hope they're not going to be politically correct and say, well you know, we want to go, just get -- let's get the lower guys that forged the documents going into FISA," Trump said.

Also: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/john-durham-set-to-interview-john-brennan-report

Is John Brennan next...?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:44:17 AM »

Like... this isn't a really big deal. Like I think this is just a move to throw meat to the dogs. I think we're vastly overestimating the chance that this has a major effect on the election. The Mueller probe which Trump supporters called a "witch hunt" resulted in 199 criminal charges, 37 indictments or guilty pleas, and 5 prison sentences and that was while it was being stonewalled by the incumbent administration.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »

I see Sean Hannity has a new villain he can name-drop over and over and over again in his broadcasts.

You see, this is the reason 168,000 people have died, unemployment is at a record high, and Trump is subverting our democracy with impunity.  It's this guy Kevin Clinesmith who changed some words on an e-mail.  That's where it all started!  That's what you should be angry about!

Meanwhile, in the real world, 99% of America has no idea who this guy is and couldn't care less.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »

Yawn, this barely made a blip in normal news circles. Nobody cares and hopefully Biden pardons this guy.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »

Yawn, this barely made a blip in normal news circles. Nobody cares and hopefully Biden pardons this guy.

people keep saying the October Surprise is gonna be the Durham stuff and i'm sitting here like... do you guys know no one gives a crap about this stuff in real life? this is not on *anyones* radar
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »

Literally no one cares about this anymore,  no one even cares about the Russia stuff anymore. 

If you completely erased the entire Russian Scandal from Trump's record, he'd still be in the same exact position he's in now.   

This changes absolutely nothing at all, whatsoever.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 02:03:32 PM by Antifacist Ghost of Ruin »

people keep saying the October Surprise is gonna be the Durham stuff and i'm sitting here like... do you guys know no one gives a crap about this stuff in real life? this is not on *anyones* radar

That will depend on whether or not it's more technical procedural stuff like this, which no one but political junkies even notices (whether it's of Trump lackeys or traditional government officials), or whether it serves as a pretext for perp-walking Hunter Biden or Barack Obama.

To clarify: I think doing that would go over very poorly and like a polonium balloon, respectively. But you know Donald Trump is drooling at the possibility of humiliating his predecessor or opponent like that, even if he is too frightened to do it in the end.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »

That will depend on whether or not it's more technical procedural stuff like this, which no one but political junkies even notices (whether it's of Trump lackeys or traditional government officials), or whether it serves as a pretext for perp-walking Hunter Biden or Barak Obama.

Man, I've fear-mongered about them trying to pull something last minute with Hunter Biden, but if they arrest Obama, Biden would win in probably the biggest Democratic landslide since 1964.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 01:18:44 PM by roxas11 »

Kevin Clinesmith plans to admit to one charge of altering an email to another official in 2017 that said Page wasn't a previous government source, when he had been one.

honestly this kind of sounds like a letdown for the GOP based on what Im reading

this seems to be a isolated incident and this this guy will only plead guilty to a single charge over a email error. It kind of messed up this they going after him over something as minor as this.

an Emil error that Horowitz himself said did not undermined the overall validity of the surveillance.

there is nothing in those court documents that come close to proving any kind of epic Obamagate conspiracy and if all they have accomplished by the end of this is to to go after people for email errors or nitpicks than this an epic waste of both time and Money that will rightfully be overshadowed by more serious issues like Covid 19 and the economy
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »

Isn’t that the definition of a surprise?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies