Mass. teachers/schools calling the cops on parents of kids who don't show up for Zoom classes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:40:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mass. teachers/schools calling the cops on parents of kids who don't show up for Zoom classes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass. teachers/schools calling the cops on parents of kids who don't show up for Zoom classes  (Read 743 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »

link-Boston Globe
Massachusetts school officials have reported dozens of families to state social workers for possible neglect charges because of issues related to their children’s participation in remote learning classes during the pandemic shutdown in the spring, according to interviews with parents, advocates, and reviews of documents.

In most cases, lawyers and family advocates said, the referrals were made solely because students failed to log into class repeatedly. Most of the parents reported were mothers, and several did not have any previous involvement with social services.

The trend was most common in high-poverty, predominantly Black and Latino school districts in Worcester, Springfield, Haverhill, and Lynn; advocates and lawyers reported few, if any, cases from wealthier communities.

Among those parents is Em Quiles, who struggled to work her full-time job while overseeing her young son’s schooling. During remote class time, her 7-year-old was largely supervised by his teenage brother, who had his own school work to do.

Quiles said she told staff at Heard Street Discovery Academy in Worcester in the spring that her work schedule made it tough to assist with virtual schooling and she struggled to navigate the school’s online platforms. “They didn’t offer any help,” she said.

Then in June, Quiles was stunned to receive a call from the state’s Department of Children and Families. The school had accused Quiles of neglect, she was told, because the 7-year-old missed class and homework assignments.

“I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

Quiles lived one of the worst nightmares for a parent: A neglect charge, if substantiated, can lead to removing a child from their home. It came during a period of unprecedented educational disruption, in which parents, students, and schools all struggled with ad-hoc routines that challenged even the most engaged, but would result in some being singled out for how their children responded.

“It’s the exact wrong thing that the moment calls for,” said Michael Gregory, managing attorney with the Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative of Massachusetts Advocates for Children and the Harvard Law School.
this is not too unlike Kamala's anti-truancy rules she put in place (and enforced) when she was DA of SF (and got it implemented state wide when she was AG).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »

During normal times, I absolutely support any form of truancy laws, but there should be some leniency during the pandemic.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »

This is ridiculous. I'm sure stuff like this is tied to funding, follow the money, it's not about the kids learning, it's about them losing money if the kids are not there. We have a cluster of bad teachers across the country who are protected by their union, just like we have a cluster of bad police officers across the country who are protected by their union and I'm a union member & shop steward for my union so I'm pro-union but I also want union's to take a stand against bad members who hurt the collective as a whole for their own selfish reasons.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »

My stepdaughter is doing online learning this semester, and as part of the agreement to use that option, it was heavily emphasized that she would be expected to attend on time, just as if she were in regular school, and that it wasn't an option that should be chosen if there wasn't reliable internet availability. Part of what kids learn by going to school is how to stay on schedule. This strikes me as sane and reasonable.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:04:04 PM »

It's a complex issue. Working a school, what are you supposed to do when a student hasn't shown up for a month in the middle of a pandemic? I think there's a requirement in the law that you have to report to the proper authorities within a certain window of time after a certain number of absences.

That doesn't mean files need to be charged (unless there's good reason), but to check-up on the child(ren) and then connect the families with social workers or whatever supports might be needed. And that's what the article says... they called state social workers, not cops.

It all depends on how it's handled. If they actually provide support or not.

I doubt this was a "they missed a week of school" or that the school was given any note for why.

It makes sense it would happen more in communities of color, since unfortunately that often correlates to lower-income, which means less steady housing, access to steady WiFi, parents available to be home to ensure their students actually go online or even knowing that the school is requiring, etc.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 11:13:10 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 11:16:52 PM by lfromnj »

My stepdaughter is doing online learning this semester, and as part of the agreement to use that option, it was heavily emphasized that she would be expected to attend on time, just as if she were in regular school, and that it wasn't an option that should be chosen if there wasn't reliable internet availability. Part of what kids learn by going to school is how to stay on schedule. This strikes me as sane and reasonable.

Not a fan of calling the cops specifically as if the parent is working they really can't do much but I do agree, online classes should be as close to IRL classes as possible, not any of that bs teacher unions are demanding with assigning worksheets. Students should have schedules.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »

link-Boston Globe
Massachusetts school officials have reported dozens of families to state social workers for possible neglect charges because of issues related to their children’s participation in remote learning classes during the pandemic shutdown in the spring, according to interviews with parents, advocates, and reviews of documents.

In most cases, lawyers and family advocates said, the referrals were made solely because students failed to log into class repeatedly. Most of the parents reported were mothers, and several did not have any previous involvement with social services.

The trend was most common in high-poverty, predominantly Black and Latino school districts in Worcester, Springfield, Haverhill, and Lynn; advocates and lawyers reported few, if any, cases from wealthier communities.

Among those parents is Em Quiles, who struggled to work her full-time job while overseeing her young son’s schooling. During remote class time, her 7-year-old was largely supervised by his teenage brother, who had his own school work to do.

Quiles said she told staff at Heard Street Discovery Academy in Worcester in the spring that her work schedule made it tough to assist with virtual schooling and she struggled to navigate the school’s online platforms. “They didn’t offer any help,” she said.

Then in June, Quiles was stunned to receive a call from the state’s Department of Children and Families. The school had accused Quiles of neglect, she was told, because the 7-year-old missed class and homework assignments.

“I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

Quiles lived one of the worst nightmares for a parent: A neglect charge, if substantiated, can lead to removing a child from their home. It came during a period of unprecedented educational disruption, in which parents, students, and schools all struggled with ad-hoc routines that challenged even the most engaged, but would result in some being singled out for how their children responded.

“It’s the exact wrong thing that the moment calls for,” said Michael Gregory, managing attorney with the Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative of Massachusetts Advocates for Children and the Harvard Law School.
this is not too unlike Kamala's anti-truancy rules she put in place (and enforced) when she was DA of SF (and got it implemented state wide when she was AG).

I'm pretty sure Kamala Harris supports exceptions to her own truancy laws for emergencies like this.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:13:14 AM »

A lot of these probably stem from technical issues (maybe lacking a PC and trying to use an old tablet or phone that can't handle the platform; spotty or limited Internet access) to living situation instability (getting evicted; moving because you couldn't social distance effectively in your previous house; etc).
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2020, 12:41:13 AM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

I knew this was a deadman thread the minute I saw the title lol
Anyways, I agree with Forumlurker that they should have leniency in a time like this
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »

Social workers are cops? That's news to me. Truancy can often be a sign abuse or neglect, so it is responsible for the state to at least check in on children who are enrolled to make sure that they are okay.

And let's be clear, no one was ever arrested under Harris' truancy program which only investigated when a child had missed 80 days out of the school year. Missing one or two days here or there isn't what the program was about, it was about chronic truancy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:07:03 AM »

So basically poor people get Covid, while rich people can take their classes online?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 07:08:16 AM »

And let's be clear, no one was ever arrested under Harris' truancy program which only investigated when a child had missed 80 days out of the school year. Missing one or two days here or there isn't what the program was about, it was about chronic truancy.
lets also be clear that when she became AG, she pushed to get the law implemented state wide, which it was, and people went to jail
cite
In an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Harris said her initiative improved school attendance in San Francisco and “not one parent was sent to jail.” Host Jake Tapper then asked about the state law that she sponsored.

Tapper, May 12: Well, you pushed for a statewide law, right, a statewide truancy law.

Harris: And the state…

Tapper: And people were thrown into jail under that law.

Harris: Not by me.

Tapper: Not by you, but you supported the law.

Harris: I supported the law that — this is what I supported, and our initiative was that in the — and here’s — we’re going to get in the weeds, but give me the patience of time to explain it.

When I was looking at the issue of truancy, I realized that, when we define truancy, we defined it as three or four unexcused absences, you’re truant. I was seeing kids that were missing up to 80 days of a 180-day school year. So, my point was, why isn’t the education code recognizing that?

What ended up happening is, by changing the education code, it also changed — it, by reference then, was in the penal code. And then that was an unintended consequence.

And if I could do it over again, I would have made sure that it would not have increased penalties or the ability to prosecute anywhere in the state to prosecute parents, because that was never the intention. And it was never anything that I did.

The possibility of jailing parents was not an “unintended consequence,” and the bill did not just change the education code. It also created a new section to the California Penal Code, as we have already noted.

Harris knew this, of course.

After taking the oath of office as the California attorney general in January 2011, Harris said in her inaugural address that she was “putting parents on notice” that they could face “the full force and consequences of the law” if their kids miss too many days of school.

Harris, Jan. 3, 2011: We know chronic truancy leads to dropping out, which dramatically increases the odds that a young person will become either a perpetrator or a victim of crime. Folks, it is time to get serious about the problem of chronic truancy in California. Last year we had 600,000 truant students in our elementary schools alone, which roughly matches the number of inmates in our state prisons. Is it a coincidence? Of course not.

And as unacceptable as this problem is – I know we can fix it. In San Francisco, we threatened the parents of truants with prosecution, and truancy dropped 32 percent. So, we are putting parents on notice. If you fail in your responsibility to your kids, we are going to work to make sure you face the full force and consequences of the law.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies