Who’s Up for an All-Time NBA Draft?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:32:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Who’s Up for an All-Time NBA Draft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Who’s Up for an All-Time NBA Draft?  (Read 2187 times)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

We have a couple NBA threads going...let me ask:

Who is up for a draft of all-time NBA players? If we get a quorum of six or more, we will randomize the participants and pick a 10-man lineup in snake fashion. We can do this here, or if it’s obnoxious, we can go to another forum.

I’d suggest a rule preventing the selection of two picks who were both all-stars while on the same team (such as Moses Malone & Julius Erving or Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen).

Who else is keen on doing this?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »

I may be more of a baseball fan, but count me as curious.

I would like to see more of the rules first though.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »

I'm definitely interested.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 06:57:00 PM »

Well, I'd work under the assumption that you'd attempt to do well in an 82-game season under modern rules in hopes of achieving playoff success. Try to make a workable team, not just pick the best names available. Once somebody makes a pick, the next person up has 24 hours to make a choice. If they fail to do so in that window, that person is free to choose from available options later, but the following person in the lineup can proceed.

Again, snake style draft, so whoever goes last in round 1 will go first in round 2.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »

Well, I'd work under the assumption that you'd attempt to do well in an 82-game season under modern rules in hopes of achieving playoff success. Try to make a workable team, not just pick the best names available. Once somebody makes a pick, the next person up has 24 hours to make a choice. If they fail to do so in that window, that person is free to choose from available options later, but the following person in the lineup can proceed.

Again, snake style draft, so whoever goes last in round 1 will go first in round 2.

Alright, I'm game, as long as it is on this site.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:24:40 PM »

I’m down.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »

"With the first overall pick in the 2020 Atlas All time draft Senator YE selects Anthony Bennett power forward UNLV"

Bill Simmons: "WOAAHHHH"
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 02:01:37 PM »

I am up only if I can take Stockton/Malone in a package deal.
You know like their complementary statues in Salt Lake City.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

Unfortunately, due to the rules I explained to New York Express, you aren't able to pick players who were all-stars together while they were teammates. That definitely eliminates Malone and Stockton many times over. Personally, I think it's fun to imagine how Malone might have done with Chris Paul, or how Stockton might have done with Kevin Garnett. Still up for it?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »

Unfortunately, due to the rules I explained to New York Express, you aren't able to pick players who were all-stars together while they were teammates. That definitely eliminates Malone and Stockton many times over. Personally, I think it's fun to imagine how Malone might have done with Chris Paul, or how Stockton might have done with Kevin Garnett. Still up for it?

Yes. I'll take Karl Malone/Moses Malone then, and possibly also Jeff Malone.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »

First off, please tell me you can pick only one player at a time.

"With the first overall pick in the 2020 Atlas All time draft Senator YE selects Anthony Bennett power forward UNLV"

Come on, I think we all know Michael Jordan or LeBron James is going to be the #1 overall pick.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »

Come on, I think we all know Michael Jordan or LeBron James is going to be the #1 overall pick.

I was referencing Bill Simmons infamous WOAH in the 2013 NBA draft

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »

I was referencing Bill Simmons infamous WOAH in the 2013 NBA draft

Fine, but the pick would be a horrible #1 overall for this kind of draft.

Bennett's probably someone who wouldn't get drafted...with hindsight, of course.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »

I’m down and as someone who has played these games in realgm I can set aside the basic rules too

- You are limited to 85 FGA among an 8 player team and players chosen before the merger get a .85 multiplier on their FGA
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »

I’m down and as someone who has played these games in realgm I can set aside the basic rules too

- You are limited to 85 FGA among an 8 player team and players chosen before the merger get a .85 multiplier on their FGA

Is that career average or highest season average?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »

The season you choose
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »

The season you choose

If we go with that then for example picking Jordan in his best season (90-91) would give you 22.4 FGA, while with Lebron in his best season (12-13) it would give you 17.8 FGA. I think personally that would make Lebron the obvious choice at #1.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »

The season you choose

If we go with that then for example picking Jordan in his best season (90-91) would give you 22.4 FGA, while with Lebron in his best season (12-13) it would give you 17.8 FGA. I think personally that would make Lebron the obvious choice at #1.

Yup that’s what usually happens in these draft games on realgm. I can copy paste an example of a game on there(it’s different than all time but basic rules are the same )  and you guys can see how it works
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »

The season you choose

Yup that’s what usually happens in these draft games on realgm. I can copy paste an example of a game on there(it’s different than all time but basic rules are the same )  and you guys can see how it works

Please do.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »

The season you choose

Yup that’s what usually happens in these draft games on realgm. I can copy paste an example of a game on there(it’s different than all time but basic rules are the same )  and you guys can see how it works

Please do.

While this is not an all time draft here is the basic structure of these games :

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=1888356

(I’m Blazers - 1977 on there)

This is the way we decided who won or lost : https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=1889643&p=78434781#p78434781

I’ll try to find an all time draft in the meanwhile
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 04:33:00 PM »

All right was able to find an all time draft on there:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1795225

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 05:24:11 PM »

It seems to me that we have 6+ participants,

LastMcGovernite
NewYorkExpress
Orwell (me)
Old School Republican
BG-NY
Senator YE
Batista Minolla 1616

Though it's LAstMcGovernite's idea, I think we should give another 24-48 hours for people to sign up then he could post the draft order and we could start. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »

It seems to me that we have 6+ participants,

LastMcGovernite
NewYorkExpress
Orwell (me)
Old School Republican
BG-NY
Senator YE
Batista Minolla 1616

Though it's LAstMcGovernite's idea, I think we should give another 24-48 hours for people to sign up then he could post the draft order and we could start. 

24 hours more seems about right.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »

Okay, I think Old-School Republican has some ideas we can incorporate. If it's agreeable, I made it a total of 110 FGA for a 10-man squad. So, in addition to our "no all-star teammates rule," :

1. Subject to the rules to be set out below, players from the 1959-60 season to the 2018-2019 season will be available to be drafted. You can draft players that came into the league before the 1959-60 season, but seasons can only be chosen from 1959-60 season or onward. Each player must have played at least half of the regular season games for the year that you are using.

2. You will be required to draft a total of 10 players. Although it isn't required, strive for four forwards, four guards, and two centers.

3. You must state the specific season of the player you choose to draft. You don't have to do it right away when you make your selection but you must state it before the draft is complete, because...

4. Your team will be allowed a combined total of 110 FGA corresponding with the specific seasons indicated for each player. You'll want to go to basketball-reference.com to look at the player's average FGA over the course of their given season.

5. We will be doing a snake-style draft. Whoever drafts last in round 1 goes first in round 2.

6. Players will get a maximum of a 24-hour window in which to make their selection once they are "on the clock" and the player drafting previous to them has made his or her selection.

7. Draft order will be completely randomized.

8. The clock begins immediately after a pick is made. You may not change your pick after it has been made, even if the next person in the order has not picked yet. Also if a pick is ineligible, the participant can re-pick at anytime and the next participant will be able to pick when an ineligible pick is made. Please double check your pick to make sure it is eligible before making your pick so this does not occur.

9. You can use the .85 multiplier on pre-merger (1975-76 or earlier) seasons. Example-After multiplying .85, 29.84 will be rounded to 29.8 and 29.85 will be rounded to 29.9. This is to compensate for the consistent run-and-gun style of the games back then.

Also, feel free to pick a name for your team. Mine is... The El Paso Bad Hombres.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 07:21:24 PM »

We'll also start 24 or so hours from now, in this thread. Anyone reading this is welcome to enter in this activity until 8:30 EST on Saturday the 15th. At that point, I will list the draft order and we can begin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies