Romney blocking Ron Johnson’s clown show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:22:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Romney blocking Ron Johnson’s clown show
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney blocking Ron Johnson’s clown show  (Read 1739 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 01:33:22 PM »

I'm still not a major fan of Mitt Romney, but it's really strange how times have changed. I disliked him very much in 2012.

Maybe your dislike for him in 2012 was ridiculous.

Nah, our standards were just a lot higher. Remember when he sought and received the endorsement of the Birther 'N Chief? Real subtle message there, Mitt. And look where playing footsie with racists led the establishment wing of the GOP. The best you can say about Mitt Romney is that unlike virtually all of his colleagues, he draws the line at authoritarianism and treason.  

Yeah, same here. Standards were much higher back then. 2012 was the first campaign I closely followed, and I disliked all Republican candidates and just wanted Obama to win again. I still disagree with Mitt on a lot of things, but he's the best senate Republican at this point and also a good person. Back in 2012, I remember that he was booed at the Democratic convention when his name came up. Joe Biden then said that he wasn't a bad guy, just wrong on the issues.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »

I'm still not a major fan of Mitt Romney, but it's really strange how times have changed. I disliked him very much in 2012.

Nah, our standards were just a lot higher. Remember when he sought and received the endorsement of the Birther 'N Chief? Real subtle message there, Mitt. And look where playing footsie with racists led the establishment wing of the GOP. The best you can say about Mitt Romney is that unlike virtually all of his colleagues, he draws the line at authoritarianism and treason.  

Yeah, same here. Standards were much higher back then. 2012 was the first campaign I closely followed, and I disliked all Republican candidates and just wanted Obama to win again. I still disagree with Mitt on a lot of things, but he's the best senate Republican at this point and also a good person. Back in 2012, I remember that he was booed at the Democratic convention when his name came up. Joe Biden then said that he wasn't a bad guy, just wrong on the issues.

Yeah, Biden’s comments on Romney reflect McCain’s comments about Obama, “He’s a decent family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what this campaign is all about.”

Back when there was still some congeniality between the two parties.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »

Its a two party system , people get endorsements from terrible people all the time. Even now Biden has the endorsements of utterly despicable people like Ilhan Omar and Linda Sasour(Two people who are more despicable like Trump) because we have a two party system.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »

Romney yells both Benghazi and Russia. In 2012, Democrats hated him for that, now they love him for that.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 06:52:13 PM »

I really wonder which is the real Romney: this one or the one from 2012. Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up! Of course this Romney probably would have lost by even more in 2012 considering how his party was in their halfway transition period to the full-on reactionary cult it is today.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 07:06:21 PM »

Its a two party system , people get endorsements from terrible people all the time. Even now Biden has the endorsements of utterly despicable people like Ilhan Omar and Linda Sasour(Two people who are more despicable like Trump) because we have a two party system.

Lol
politics_king
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »

Romney should endorse Biden.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »

Romney yells both Benghazi and Russia. In 2012, Democrats hated him for that, now they love him for that.

No, wrong again.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2020, 12:22:13 AM »

He was like Louis XVI back then and now he is like this figure who still believes in America.

Louis XVI himself played a major role in helping America win independence from Britain (thus his namesake, Louisville, KY).  He also implemented religious tolerance and tried to abolish serfdom.  After the absolute disaster that was the French Revolution, the silent majority missed Louis, which led to the Bourbon Restoration.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2020, 12:27:16 AM »

Wow, wild! Really hoping colossal FF RonJon changes his mind and goes for another term in 2022!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »

I really wonder which is the real Romney: this one or the one from 2012. Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up! Of course this Romney probably would have lost by even more in 2012 considering how his party was in their halfway transition period to the full-on reactionary cult it is today.

You could be correct every single time, but the credibility is lost when Democrats just say this about the GOP every couple years ... we sold our souls in 1876, 1928, 1964, 1968, 1980, 2008, 2012, 2016 ... the insult stops mattering.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2020, 03:01:33 AM »

No, wrong again.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »

No, wrong again.

Things have changed since 2012, lmao.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »

Russia is not really a dominant political foe except for the fact that Republicans have a boner for Putin and Putin has been masterful at exploiting American divisions. Russia is a very weak country compared to The United States, that maximizes it's legacy and outdated military power and punches above its weight with intelligence units.

We could easily minimize Russian influence in the world by moving off fossil fuels, supporting free and fair Democratic elections(even when it's against our interest), building coalitions so sanctions against Russia actually work when they do something bad. You can't claim to be tough on Russia and want to dismantle NATO, drill the Arctic and hand them lucrative sweetheart oil contracts with U.S. Corporations, and shrug your shoulders when Putin assassinates members of the press/critics and meddles in foreign elections. We don't need another cold war with Russia, we need to box them in so a nation in decline continues their eventual decline and the Russian people realize that their leadership is corrupt, steals their resources, and prevents them from ascending on the world stage in ways that actually matter.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »

Covid 19 is the whole story, it was only if Covid 19 was knocked off the front page was this was gonna have lega
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 11:40:38 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

No, wrong again.

Things have changed since 2012, lmao.

It's pretty obviously China. Their per capita GDP is almost as high as Russia's with 10 times the population. Regardless of what you think of Putin, Russia simply doesn't have the power that the Soviet Union did from 1939-1991. No one is saying that Russia is a liberal democracy, but they aren't as authoritarian as Xi's China.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 12:21:03 AM »

If Romney's defection from the Trump/McConnell wing continues, I wonder whether Democrats could cause a schism by recruiting Romney as Senate leader and promising him 47 votes.  Romney voting for himself would make it 48, he'd just have to recruit 3 other Rs to win outright.  You gotta wonder how many other Republicans are fed up enough with Mitch that they'd be willing to let Mitt run the show.

I'm not 100% on the inner workings of the Senate, but being majority leader doesn't automatically put you in charge of everything.  I believe you have to get put there by a majority of the entire Senate, right?  And it usually just defaults to the majority leaders since his party always controls the majority.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2020, 01:10:46 AM »

Wow, wild! Really hoping colossal FF RonJon changes his mind and goes for another term in 2022!
He's running against Evers I think. And he'll probably win
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2020, 09:58:15 PM »

I now know what Romney's place in history will be.  He'll go down with the Democrats on the House Banking Committee that joined Republicans to quash a pre-election investigation of Watergate in 1972.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 04:41:44 PM by R.P. McM »

You might actually have a point had Trump been an elected Republican in 2012. Even then, presidential nominees typically distance themselves from fringe back-benchers. But Romney eagerly and very publicly embraced Trump, who was, at the time, the nation's most prominent birther. It's pretty obvious he was courting the GOP's not-insignificant white supremacist bloc.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »

You might actually have a point had Trump been an elected Republican in 2012. Even then, presidential nominees typically distance themselves from fringe back-benchers. But Romney eagerly and very publicly embraced Trump, who was, at the time, the nation's most prominent birther. It's pretty obvious he was courting the GOP's not-insignificant white supremacist bloc.

Mitt Romney was able to keep the quiet parts quiet, at least.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies