Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:03:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Sanders, Warren, Booker sponsor bill to ban factory farming by 2040  (Read 2942 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »

won't this make food much more expensive?  Doesn't that hurt poor people?  

No and no. Plenty of cheap food out there.
what's your evidence for this?  How are non-factory farms going to make up for the losses in efficiency?

Evidence that cheap food is out there? I, uh, go to the grocery store regularly.
right, thanks in large part to "factory farming".  Due to their efficiencies over non-factory farming...which brings us back to my question.
This bill only deals with meat and dairy, which are not essential foods.
I'll let the mob deal with this.  Good luck.

I was told us Libertarians are the cruel and heartless ones? No Meat or driving for the plebs!
People in New Zealand eat just fine.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »

Sounds like there are some major problems with this bill and it should get more input from farmers who could be affected by it before going forward.  But if farmers have to have such insanely large numbers of animals just to make a decent living, that sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed one way or another.  Maybe tariffs on imported meat is part of the solution.  All this may lead to making meat more expensive, but Americans could probably stand to eat a lot less meat anyway.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »

What a bad bill.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »

A terrible ignorant attack on the hardworking family farmers of America by urban northeastern leftists. The alternative to having large farms is importing meat. So you can ban “factory” farms aka big barns but all that does is move the big farms to foreign countries or make meat more expensive for the poor. I know families from the town where I grew up who would lose their livelihoods if this is enacted

So you're saying you know a lot of rich people. Most farms are folding, hard and fast. Squeeze the rich to save the actual family farms.

This is a misconception. The families I know, three extended families which all raise hogs in addition to grain, are middle to upper middle class at best. These are actual family farms. Nobody raises animals in the way you imagine from a children’s story book. The people that raise pigs in some other way are generally hobbyists. Nobody is gonna make a living raising 40 pigs in their backyard regardless of what laws you make. All this does is make us buy meat from Asia or Mexico where conditions for animals are much worse. He families I know that run “factory” farms (which again, just means large barns) treat their animals well and are upstanding members of the community. Having livestock in addition to grain means that multiple siblings can provide middle class, happy lives for their families.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 09:34:31 PM »

^ Great couple of posts, but the poster you’re quoting doesn’t care.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »

Climate deniers, climate deniers everywhere.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »

Climate deniers, climate deniers everywhere.
where?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »

Yeah, seriously ... lol, what a lazy, dumb post.
Hollywood
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2020, 12:41:47 AM by Hollywood »

You guys are so cute.  You actually believe the U.S. ban on factory farming is going to save the environment.  Do you guys not remember who won the Democrat Primary?  

Joe Biden has been pressuring Brazil to open up public resources for private investment, including agriculture, mining, oil, etc., throughout his tenure as vice president, and all five of those consolidated factory farming companies have moved operations to Brazil.  Thanks to the NSA under the Obama Administration, and assistance from US-Brazilian, telecommunications agencies, the government protecting Brazil's natural resources, most importantly the rainforest, were ousted.  The deforestation of the rainforest that began in 2009 has been accelerated to make room for cattle, dairy, soybean, cotton, and corn.  How will American farmers make money?  Joe Biden has proposed a scheme devised by oil, agro, and tech companies called soil sequestration, which seeks to trap carbons in farm soil.  These agriculture companies are looking to receive government funding for their U.S. properties while they continue to burn the rain forest.  
https://apnews.com/50274fedc744482db0030eb57275d069

Control over Brazilian resources has been a bipartisan goal for many decades. 
https://nacla.org/news/2015/03/06/united-states-and-brazil-reaping-what-you-sow
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:31 AM »

won't this make food much more expensive?  Doesn't that hurt poor people?  I 100% agree that what we do to (most) farm animals is tragic not to mention the horrible environmental impacts farming has ("factory" or otherwise), but making food more expensive seems like a bad idea to me.

We should be pushing hard for factory (as in an actual factory) meat and processed food made with bugs or kelp (or whatever) that can produce crazy amounts of calories in a tiny footprint.  And in the meantime, GMO crops that reduce bad things, increase good things and also has a smaller footprint.  Of course that's more complicated, more permanent and most of all, doesn't hurt anyone directly so it's much less likely to be supported by people who support the ham fisted measure proposed by the OP.
Agreed 100%.
Many insects are already consumed anyways worldwide, and they are extremely dense in protein and calories per mg. We should have large scale cricket/mealworm farms. This won’t solve the problem entirely, but it will go a long way in helping reduce food insecurity while protecting the environment (and potentially health because maybe insect farming won’t be as bad from a health perspective as regular farming)
Also agree with GMOs, they get a bad rep but are usually beneficial.
Although kelp is new. I have not heard of that as a meat substitute, would be great if it works.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 12:36:40 AM »

Also why are people so upset over the animal treatment itself?
It’s not like they are human.

We should worry more about antibiotic resistance and environmental impacts than how some pigs feel.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:37 AM »

We should worry more about antibiotic resistance and environmental impacts than how some pigs feel.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 12:59:30 AM »

The alternative to having large farms is importing meat.
The easy solution to that is ban that too

This, meat agriculture contributes far more to climate change than people are willing to acknowledge

Sorry, if I sound rude, but this sounds extremely sadistic. (note bolded parts)
Hollywood
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 01:37:41 AM »

The alternative to having large farms is importing meat.
The easy solution to that is ban that too

This, meat agriculture contributes far more to climate change than people are willing to acknowledge

Sorry, if I sound rude, but this sounds extremely sadistic. (note bolded parts)

It doesn't matter if you ban production and importation.  US companies have already established themselves in Brazil, and now Brazil is the number 1 exporter by a margin that no country will ever overcome.  Brazil will just cut down more rainforest to export beef to the nations that had formerly trading with the US. 
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 01:46:54 AM »

A modicum of empathy with sentient beings and (in most cases) their unimaginable suffering, perhaps?

Believe it or not, there’s a variety of good reasons not to consume meat or at least seriously reduce your consumption of it (moral reasons, religious aspects, its devastating environmental impact, health-related concerns, etc.).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »

Sounds like there are some major problems with this bill and it should get more input from farmers who could be affected by it before going forward.  But if farmers have to have such insanely large numbers of animals just to make a decent living, that sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed one way or another.  Maybe tariffs on imported meat is part of the solution.  All this may lead to making meat more expensive, but Americans could probably stand to eat a lot less meat anyway.

Some good points here.  Factory farming as we know it now will probably (hopefully?) be on its way out by 2040 when synthetic meat goes mainstream.  Breaking up those farms would obviously be a complex process, but boosting small family farms while simultaneously improving the conditions of the animals is a worthwhile goal as we transition to "real" factory farms that are efficient but also more humane and safer for workers.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »

won't this make food much more expensive?  Doesn't that hurt poor people? 

what's your evidence for this?  How are non-factory farms going to make up for the losses in efficiency?

Evidence that cheap food is out there? I, uh, go to the grocery store regularly.

Lol.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »

what's your evidence for this?  How are non-factory farms going to make up for the losses in efficiency?

Lol.

This was a truly ... tone deaf thing to say from the Party of the People, haha.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »

Some good points here.  Factory farming as we know it now will probably (hopefully?) be on its way out by 2040 when synthetic meat goes mainstream.  Breaking up those farms would obviously be a complex process, but boosting small family farms while simultaneously improving the conditions of the animals is a worthwhile goal as we transition to "real" factory farms that are efficient but also more humane and safer for workers.

I actually find the prospect of mass produced lab grown meat pretty disturbing. Seems to me it is devaluing animal life by treating it as merely raw material without its own identity.  I would prefer we go to eating only as many animals as we can raise or hunt while allowing them good lives of their own.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »

I actually find the prospect of mass produced lab grown meat pretty disturbing. Seems to me it is devaluing animal life by treating it as merely raw material without its own identity.  I would prefer we go to eating only as many animals as we can raise or hunt while allowing them good lives of their own.

I'm not sure I understand.  How are we devaluing animal life by not killing animals for our food?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

Lol.

Sometimes I wonder if political veganism will become a thing.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »

Lol.

I love coastal liberal elitism.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »

Lol.

Sometimes I wonder if political veganism will become a thing.

I mean, that's what this is. Cory Booker is a supporter of PETA, which wants to make getting meat harder if not completely illegal. This is the first step on that, and Sanders and Warren signed on because it fits some of their other profiles.

Booker's affiliation with a radical vegan group is probably the main reason I didn't consider him in the primary.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »

Lol.

I love coastal liberal elitism.

LET THEM EAT SOY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies