North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy  (Read 2373 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2020, 07:58:09 AM »

Let this black comedian explain how the world works

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »

A killing of a black child (or any black person, for that matter) becomes a National News story.  A killing of a white person (even a child) is only mentioned by FOX News, and mostly on its commentary.  Just exactly why is this?  That IS a fair question.

The answer is that the MSM (and, to be fair, FOX News, Talk Radio, and other outlets) aren't about facts; they're about creating and driving narratives, both for their ideological agendas and for ratings.  The MSM is vested in the narrative that we are a nation where black folks live in danger of being massacred by police for no reason, and by stealth racist whites who are secret Klansmen.  That blacks in America commit violent crimes at a rate higher than any other demographic (a rate that goes up significantly when applied to young black males) is undisputed, yet the MSM never mentions it and attempts to drown out anyone who states this, but it is true.  It is an uncomfortable fact, and a fact that should be uncomfortable, but it is a fact.  And it's a narrative-destroying fact; indeed, in the wrong hands, it produces a counter-narrative that blows to bits the BLM/Antifa narratives of today.   

This problem doesn't get solved because it seems that people are not allowed to speak of this fact as a fact.  Perhaps if we actually did so, not through narrative-driven political journalism, but through sober and rational policy discussion where each side actually listens to the other, some kind of real solutions can be brought about.  I don't wish this problem to be hashed out on partisan news outlets, but I do think that if the bias in academia could be ratcheted down, that would be a place to start.

What world do you even live in? The mainstream media covers and sensationalizes the killings and disappearances of white children all the time.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 08:26:26 AM by Horus »

A killing of a black child (or any black person, for that matter) becomes a National News story.  A killing of a white person (even a child) is only mentioned by FOX News, and mostly on its commentary.  Just exactly why is this?  That IS a fair question.

The answer is that the MSM (and, to be fair, FOX News, Talk Radio, and other outlets) aren't about facts; they're about creating and driving narratives, both for their ideological agendas and for ratings.  The MSM is vested in the narrative that we are a nation where black folks live in danger of being massacred by police for no reason, and by stealth racist whites who are secret Klansmen.  That blacks in America commit violent crimes at a rate higher than any other demographic (a rate that goes up significantly when applied to young black males) is undisputed, yet the MSM never mentions it and attempts to drown out anyone who states this, but it is true.  It is an uncomfortable fact, and a fact that should be uncomfortable, but it is a fact.  And it's a narrative-destroying fact; indeed, in the wrong hands, it produces a counter-narrative that blows to bits the BLM/Antifa narratives of today.  

This problem doesn't get solved because it seems that people are not allowed to speak of this fact as a fact.  Perhaps if we actually did so, not through narrative-driven political journalism, but through sober and rational policy discussion where each side actually listens to the other, some kind of real solutions can be brought about.  I don't wish this problem to be hashed out on partisan news outlets, but I do think that if the bias in academia could be ratcheted down, that would be a place to start.

What world do you even live in? The mainstream media covers and sensationalizes the killings and disappearances of white children all the time.

I'm old enough to remember when Elizabeth Smart monopolized the airwaves for months. Kids go missing every day but she was blonde so she took priority.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

If the races were reversed, there would be riots.

Your an ignorant useless HP, but I do appreciate the fact that you express yourself in one brief sentence unlike Fuzzy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »

“White supremacy saves lives” is all I’m getting from it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »

A killing of a black child (or any black person, for that matter) becomes a National News story.

Are you serious? The vast, vast majority of murders, regardless of race, are barely local news stories, much less national ones.

Even police killings of black people rarely become national stories.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »

The story here isn’t that a child was ruthlessly murdered, it’s that white supremacy saves lives.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2020, 08:52:54 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 08:59:57 AM by John 3:16 Says "All Lives Matter" »

A killing of a black child (or any black person, for that matter) becomes a National News story.

Are you serious? The vast, vast majority of murders, regardless of race, are barely local news stories, much less national ones.

In more normal times, yes.  These are not normal times.  These are times when "narratives" overrule facts, for better or worse.  And, yes, both sides play this game on the media level.

It is not the act itself of a white person killing a black person which provokes such outrage. It is the authorities’ reaction.

Compare this to the Ahmaud Arbery case. The crimes are fairly similar - an innocent person killed in a shockingly violent and unprovoked manner.

In this case the suspect, who seems to a mentally ill individual, was swiftly detained and charged. In the Ahmaud Arbery case, the two suspects, who were “respectable” members of the community with links to local law enforcement, were only charged after weeks due to national outrage.

A fair point?  Perhaps.  There are certainly differences between this case and Arbury, and the respectable people WERE charged and WILL face trial.  The idea that it took "national outrage" to charge the suspects in Arbery's murder is an assertion to a narrative; it is not necessarily a fact, and this is why they were charged.  Perhaps we should "swiftly" charge every person without investigating crimes thoroughly.  What will we do then when grand juries fail to indict, or charges are dropped and the defendants are forever free of double jeopardy?

Your point is an assertion, and an assertion made for purely political purposes by others in this election year.  Whether it's true or not can be proven or disproven.  But it's certainly not an injustice if a murderer is not arrested right away if there is not sufficient probable cause to arrest a suspect.  It's a fair point of discussion, but just citing "Arbery" or a number of other cases doesn't prove that point.

Addendum:  Since I started writing this, there were 12 posts added since my last post, most of them all unserious replies crying "White Supremacy".  I'm sure there will be similar posts after this.  This is not serious discussion, and this is a topic where serious discussion is needed.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »

In more normal times, yes.  These are not normal times.  These are times when "narratives" overrule facts, for better or worse.  And, yes, both sides play this game on the media level.

Well, in your mind, your narrative that "murders of blacks become national news stories" is overruling the fact that they almost always do not.

Turn on the local news any night and you'll hear about murders that aren't national news, and just a blurb on the local news.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »

Your an ignorant useless HP, but I do appreciate the fact that you express yourself in one brief sentence unlike Fuzzy.

Here's an honest question:  Do you believe that what Idaho Conservative's statement is an accurate prediction of what would have happened in that circumstance.

I notice that you called him a name, and you insulted me, but you explicitly did not say that his assertion was false.  Would you like to respond to that particular point.  It IS a fair question, given your response to Idaho Conservative.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »

Here's an honest question:  Do you believe that what Idaho Conservative's statement is an accurate prediction of what would have happened in that circumstance.

I notice that you called him a name, and you insulted me, but you explicitly did not say that his assertion was false.  Would you like to respond to that particular point.  It IS a fair question, given your response to Idaho Conservative.

Not that I can speak for Dingo Joe, but no, there probably would not be riots if the races were reversed. Way less than 1% of murders nationwide cause riots, even murders of children.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2020, 09:31:59 AM »

His assertion is false.  Black people know the difference between crazy drugged up killings vs lynchings.  Practice, practice, practice. 
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »

His assertion is false.  Black people know the difference between crazy drugged up killings vs lynchings.  Practice, practice, practice. 

Exactly. There simply haven’t been protests after virtually killings of black people by whites. The ones which have provoked this have had the hallmarks of lynchings: the murderer acting as judge and jury, providing the excuse of some spurious criminal allegation, but when the real reason is the black victim “trespassing” in white social space.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »

From the best I could can tell from Google, around 1,500 kids are killed by guns in America every year, the vast majority (nearly 90%) of which are black. That averages out to 4-5 children per day.

How many make the national news? Very few. How many cause riots? None.

Obviously we can't prove what would have happened if the races had been reversed, but it's pretty safe to say it would have been a local news story for a couple days and that would be it. Without white supremacists politicizing the story for their own racist agenda, this tragic story would have been the same.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »

Not that I can speak for Dingo Joe, but no, there probably would not be riots if the races were reversed. Way less than 1% of murders nationwide cause riots, even murders of children.

That begs a question of why the carnage over "George Floyd".

After all:

^^^There was immediate NATIONAL outrage over what happened to George Floyd.  Consensus outrage, and not a partisan split.

^^^Four policemen were charged criminally in a short period of time.  Derek Chauvin was charged with murder, and the others were charged very queickly.

That's an example of "the system" working as it should.

Long after the fact, the entirety of the arrest video was released in the media.  It was not honestly released by the dishonest Minnesota AG Keith Ellison; it was leaked to the foreign media.  That video does not "exonerate" the police from criminal liability, but it does beg the question of whether the officers are guilty as charged, or whether charges should be reduced.  The video doesn't show the events racially motivated, but they DO show George Floyd resisting a rather unremarkable arrest from the very beginning for reasons that the tape does not truly reveal.  

https://www.dailywire.com/news/tucker-carlson-reacts-to-george-floyd-body-cam-footage-slams-ag-keith-ellison-for-refusing-to-release-it

“I’m a firm believer in transparency, and the public’s right to know, but a higher priority for me is a successful prosecution,” the AG told The Washington Post. “Therefore, I’ll consult with our lead investigators and I’ll say to them, ‘When can we release this information to the public and still safeguard the prosecution?’ If we can do it before [trial], I would have no problem with doing that, but I am reluctant to do anything that would undermine the prosecution of this case.”

Few here would accept this from ANY prosecutor in regard to ANY criminal defendant, especially when SOME video was released, but not all.

“Holding these four individuals accountable is a necessary part of establishing equality before the law for all people,” Ellison told the Financial Times this week. “We need a lot more than a conviction in this case, but we do need to hold these individuals accountable. … It’s a necessary but insufficient condition to try to establish justice.”

What an odd choice of words.  When was it a prosecutor's job to bring "a lot more than a conviction" (presuming the prosecution is in good faith)?  When the prosecutor is Keith Ellison, a blatantly political figure with ambitions far beyond being Minnesota's AG, that question demands clarification.

Ellison is a person who, had he exercised principled leadership, could have been a force for maintaining peace and order while bringing justice for George Floyd.  Unfortunately, he's one to never let a crisis go to waste, and his management of the prosecution has increased the scope of the problem of rioting.  "The System" (which Ellison is a part of) was working as it should, but Ellison did not choose to emphasize this; it was counterproductive to a national narrative the Ellison hoped would give the Democratic Party an advantage.  That's what he's done here.  Is this how you want YOUR prosecutor to function?  Or your state AG?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »

Brevity is your friend, old man.

Floyd was murdered by an agent of the state. This child was murdered by a private citizen. The killer in this case is facing almost certain conviction and may get the death penalty. On the other hand, Derek Chauvin may well be acquitted of all wrongdoing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »

Because George Floyd was killed by the police, who are held to a higher standard in society. Had George Floyd been killed by 4 random non-police officers, it probably wouldn't have made the Minneapolis news.

I just don't know why that concept is so hard for you to grasp.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »

Love the ignorant racist morons latching onto this case.

They worship guns, so they don't care about preventing murders like this from happening again. They hate blacks, so they only care about this story for that reason. And they ask "where are the riots" despite the fact that the kid's murderer was swiftly arrested and is receiving justice, unlike, say, Breonna Taylor's murderers, who were cops and allegedly held to a higher standard than the average person. Bottom line, f*** racists and f*** anyone using this tragedy to diminish others.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »

Ok, got it, so people think that if they find a white kid who got killed, they "won" "George Floyd" and "defeated BLM" and handwaved away police violence and systemic racism. Cool story Bro
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »

Awful that not only did this poor child die, but he's now being used to push hateful ideologies. At least his murderer will get punished.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »

All one has to do is read Fuzzy's temporary username for the month, and get a glimpse of what he truly believes in regarding the tragedy of Floyd.
His username (currently) reads ... John 3:16 Says "All Lives Matter"

Who would use the Bible and their religion to diminish the unjustified death of a black man, at the hands of white police officers? Why insult and lessen the "Black Lives Matter" movement for action to stop these ongoing tragedies, by pointing to Scripture and using the White Nationalist denial-slogan of "All Lives Matter"?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2020, 11:50:57 AM »

Yes, while it is of course true that all lives do matter, anyone who uses the phrase "All Lives Matter" in opposition to "Black Lives Matter" is a racist bigot and is intentionally signaling that to the world. Fuzzy knows exactly what he's doing with his screenname, but of course his Cult of blue avatars who worship him will never call him out about it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »

Yes, while it is of course true that all lives do matter, anyone who uses the phrase "All Lives Matter" in opposition to "Black Lives Matter" is a racist bigot and is intentionally signaling that to the world. Fuzzy knows exactly what he's doing with his screenname, but of course his Cult of blue avatars who worship him will never call him out about it.

But what I cant get passed, is how could someone with (supposed) strong faith, use instruments of the Bible (love), to push evil/hate?
Why? !
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 02:36:02 PM by Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More »

But what I cant get passed, is how could someone with (supposed) strong faith, use instruments of the Bible (love), to push evil/hate?
Why? !

Why do Islamists do what they do? It’s not about God. It’s about a way of life that has nothing to do with God.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »

Would there have been riots if the races were reversed? I don't know. How do I know what white anarchocommunists would have decided or if the time would have been advantageous for them to terrorize diverse neighborhoods for looting purposes and occasionally murder black business owners who resisted?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies