North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:16:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: North Carolina man arrested in shooting death of 5-year-old boy  (Read 2372 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615711/Five-year-old-boy-riding-bike-shot-dead-neighbor-25-two-sisters.html

North Carolina police have charged a neighbor with the murder of a five-year-old boy who was riding a bike in his own yard when he was shot at point blank range on Sunday evening.

Darius Sessoms, 25, was taken into custody by Wilson police around 24 hours after he allegedly approached Cannon Hinnant in front of the young boy's father's house at 5:30pm and shot him in the head.
Hinnant's seven-year-old and eight-year-old sisters witnessed the killing, their mother told WRAL.
Sessoms lived next door to the family, and the killing is not believed to be random. Neighbors claim he had dinner with Hinnant's father Austin on Friday and had been over at the house earlier on Sunday.
Hinnant's family said they have known the suspect for years and did not believe he could be capable of murder.

RIP
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »

Here’s hoping he gets the death penalty and has a nice time in jail.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:14:58 PM »

Another innocent victim in America's insane gun epidemic.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »

Tragic, but why is this story here and not in Off-Topic?  Politics has (and should have) nothing to do with this. 
Hollywood
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:56:48 AM »

Tragic, but why is this story here and not in Off-Topic?  Politics has (and should have) nothing to do with this. 

I follow the local news in this area.  The political dimensions of this story are currently being investigated.  The white community is calling it a hate crime, and some BLM supporters around Goldsboro are throwing fuel on the fire by justifying the shooting.  Apparently, they are invoking Jazmine Barnes even though she was killed by an African American shooter. 

Folks are also pissed off that the offender was released early from jail, but local news isn't providing details about the pending charges or bail.   
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 04:31:40 AM »

I follow the local news in this area.  The political dimensions of this story are currently being investigated.  The white community is calling it a hate crime, and some BLM supporters around Goldsboro are throwing fuel on the fire by justifying the shooting.  Apparently, they are invoking Jazmine Barnes even though she was killed by an African American shooter. 

Folks are also pissed off that the offender was released early from jail, but local news isn't providing details about the pending charges or bail.   

Color me highly skeptical that anyone is justifying the shooting of a 5 year old kid. GTFO.

This is probably one of the most heinous crimes anyone could ever commit. No one with any empathy at all would "justify" it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 07:38:47 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2020, 11:14:11 PM by Senator YE »

The crazy part about this is that this is exactly what was being talked about in that other thread about republicans trying to get reelected by instigating a red scare  against civil rights protests. That is,  Republicans are trying to get a repeat of 1988, 2004, and 2016 by insinuating that civil rights and liberties are unnecessary privileges for a reason. Though 2004 was definitely more creative in that it was harder to call out because of 1) the war and 2) gay marriage.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »

I think some data will shed light on the nature of inter-racial violence in the US, according to the FBI in 2018, 514 whites were victims of homicide by blacks and 234 blacks were victims of homicide by blacks. More whites are killed by blacks than vice versa.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »

I think some data will shed light on the nature of inter-racial violence in the US, according to the FBI in 2018, 514 whites were victims of homicide by blacks and 234 blacks were victims of homicide by blacks. More whites are killed by blacks than vice versa.

So uh.... 54% of the population is white and 16% is black. That means between blacks and whites, 23% is black and 77% is white yet the homicide rates between them is 68% white and 32% black.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »

So uh.... 54% of the population is white and 16% is black. That means between blacks and whites, 23% is black and 77% is white yet the homicide rates between them is 68% white and 32% black.

The population is not 54% white and 16% black.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »

The population is not 54% white and 16% black.

If it’s more white, that even proves my point more.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »

I didn't know this was Vanguard News Network.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »

Horrible crime. I fail to see the political significance.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:34 PM »

Horrible crime. I fail to see the political significance.
The significance is that it is the kind of crime that is frequently reported by Alex Linder's Vanguard News Network.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »

Why do you think that is?

...careful now.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »

...careful now.

You mean that you are twice as likely to die from white on black than black on white homicide?
Hollywood
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 06:33:38 PM »

...careful now.

Generally, poor socioeconomic factors that include income, home values, and population density in relation to the innumerable, complex interests among various groups creating policies and conditions that maintain inner city poverty, as well as drive drug, criminal, and gang violence.  Police having to deal with implementation of policies like the “war on drugs” in inner cities, making it difficult to differentiate between the “good guy” and “bad guys”, causing them to distrust the populace, and inciting racial tensions that result in bigoted confirmation bias and excessive force. 

Additionally, African American policies and leadership have been dominated by appeals to quickly fix social and racial problems with solutions that are divisive and unachievable, which in turn diverts attention from much needed economic policies.  They basically shoot themselves in the foot.  For example, the community opposition to diversification and community change (aka gentrification) of segregated black populations that has been overwhelmingly demonstrated to increase income, property values and quality of life for African Americans, and causes less displacement than continued segregation of areas like Chicago.  Moreover, if land values never increase, racially segregated black communities become cheap areas for businesses with poor environmental habits (Aka environmental racism).   I’ve seen too many instances where the black community opposes critically essential infrastructure projects with benefits that outweigh the environmental concerns due to erroneous claims of environmental racism.  Excellent.  Now some billionaire construction company can build more low-income housing in that area with already staffed construction crews, netting zero gain for the existing communities and kickbacks to the corrupt politicians swinging these jobs to their friends. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »

The victim's family and the shooter our next door neighbors who reportedly share dinner together on occasions. I don't know what anyone is talking about regarding the quick release on bail, as the shooter is quite rightly being held without bond.

Ten-to-one the dude was high as a kite on drugs when he did this. Nothing else to see here oh, other than some people masturbating over black on white crime to attempt proving some random ideological point.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »

Sounds like a clear-cut murder case being handled appropriately by the authorities.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »

The victim's family and the shooter our next door neighbors who reportedly share dinner together on occasions. I don't know what anyone is talking about regarding the quick release on bail, as the shooter is quite rightly being held without bond.

Ten-to-one the dude was high as a kite on drugs when he did this. Nothing else to see here oh, other than some people masturbating over black on white crime to attempt proving some random ideological point.

A lot of people are saying that if the races were reversed, it would be a nightly news topic. People don't trust the media, and BLM, and until white rightists side with BLM, then BLM will be nothing but a progressive movement. All white people need to be interested and associated for BLM to truly work, but right now it's a progressive thing.

The boy should not have died, but this event doesn't help race relations, in fact, it only increases racial division.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »

A lot of people are saying that if the races were reversed, it would be a nightly news topic. People don't trust the media, and BLM, and until white rightists side with BLM, then BLM will be nothing but a progressive movement. All white people need to be interested and associated for BLM to truly work, but right now it's a progressive thing.

The boy should not have died, but this event doesn't help race relations, in fact, it only increases racial division.

Of course it would, and there would be nationwide "protesting" (rioting/looting).
Hollywood
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2020, 11:49:00 AM by Hollywood »

There's a thread about the NYTimes writing a story about a tweet that wasn't true, and yet a black-on-white, execution-style killing of a five-year old doesn't merit any thought?  I've scanned dozens of posts on twitter of people where black individuals are celebrating or justifying the murder, and found multiple discussions where black people arguing back-and-forth over it.  In this environment of great racial tension where white people on the national stage are bombarded with hatred and accused of racism for even the slightest transgression, I don't think a racial-motivation is such a stretch even if the guy was on drugs.  All of us know this would at the very least receive national publication if the roles were reversed.  

https://nationalfile.com/leftists-celebrate-murder-of-5-year-old-white-boy-shot-in-head-by-neighbor/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »

There's a thread about the NYTimes writing a story about a tweet that wasn't true, and yet a black-on-white, execution-style killing of a five-year old doesn't merit any thought?  I've scanned dozens of posts on twitter of people where black individuals are celebrating or justifying the murder, and found multiple discussions where black people arguing back-and-forth over it.  In this environment of great racial tension where white people on the national stage are bombarded with hatred and accused of racism for even the slightest transgression, I don't think a racial-motivation is such a stretch even if the guy was on drugs.  All of us know this would at the very least receive national publication if the roles were reversed.  

https://nationalfile.com/leftists-celebrate-murder-of-5-year-old-white-boy-shot-in-head-by-neighbor/

This is why I am pessimistic on race relations in America, I don't like it, at all. Both sides are weaponizing it.
Hollywood
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »

I agree.  At this point, it's useless.  Everyone that isn't part of BLM is getting fatigued.   
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »

Stories about black assailants and white victims don't make the national news because the authorities usually prosecute to the fullest extent of the law and the story has no legs. A lot of the BLM cases were not prosecuted and often had no charges and it took a groundswell of online activism to get national attention long before the MSM picked up the story. That is the obvious difference for anybody who doesn't understand.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies