NC-11 Cawthorn vacationed at the eagle's nest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-11 Cawthorn vacationed at the eagle's nest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NC-11 Cawthorn vacationed at the eagle's nest  (Read 5839 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »

Cawthorn has been accused of sexually assaulting a minor... and apparently there is proof.

If true, he needs to drop out, but anyways it's becoming clear he has a lot of baggage so, Safe R---->Likely R.
I agree. Though with how politics is these days, I'd say he follows the "deny, deny, deny" strategy.
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

At first when I heard of Cawthorn, I have to admit I was a bit worried that the Republicans would have an AOC of there own. But after seeing the disaster he's been I'm a lot less worried 
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

Safe R -> Lean R
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »

At first when I heard of Cawthorn, I have to admit I was a bit worried that the Republicans would have an AOC of there own. But after seeing the disaster he's been I'm a lot less worried 

Yeah, he might still win his congressional race, but he doesn’t have a political career beyond that.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »

Jesus F**k, how does one look like a Nazi and then turn out to be a rapist within the span of days? Seriously, I can't even make a glib joke about conservatives out of this. Thank Christ we ran a serious candidate here.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »

Jesus F**k, how does one look like a Nazi and then turn out to be a rapist within the span of days? Seriously, I can't even make a glib joke about conservatives out of this. Thank Christ we ran a serious candidate here.

Who is the Dem and how good is he? Is he a wave insurance candidate?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2020, 02:01:37 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Eh, he's one of those Twitter-hyped candidates. So he could be either really good or really bad.

He, however, did gain his large following prior to Cawthorn winning the primary, so the support isn't out of spite for the opponent like we normally see with these media candidates.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

He's a retired colonel, he's nothing to write home about but he's there are he's running a race.

My bet is Cawthorne wins narrowly, and then is a Steve Watkins were he doesn't do much but scandals and then gets primaried and loses
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »

I don’t much care about him visiting the Eagle’s Nest. Heck I might do the same. His referral to Hitler as the Führer is however weird. But the rape allegations should be investigated.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »

The SPQR thing makes it pretty clear this guy is at a minimum alt-right curious, even if it's just the Don, Jr. "been on the sites" way.

what kind of person sees "SPQR" and thinks "alt-right" ?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »

He's a retired colonel, he's nothing to write home about but he's there are he's running a race.

My bet is Cawthorne wins narrowly, and then is a Steve Watkins were he doesn't do much but scandals and then gets primaried and loses
Interestingly, he was formerly the Chief Prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay. He resigned in protest (with the quote: "The guy who said waterboarding is A-okay I was not going to take orders from. I quit.") when the General Counsel of the DOD (his superior) overruled his policy of not including evidence gained through waterboarding in cases being developed against Guantanamo detainees.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »

More proof that running credible candidates everywhere is critical. Davis looks a bit rough around the edges with regards to navigating media, but a little bit of training will fix that (lawyers are usually easy to media-train). Will be interesting to see his fundraising this quarter.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »

I don’t much care about him visiting the Eagle’s Nest. Heck I might do the same. His referral to Hitler as the Führer is however weird. But the rape allegations should be investigated.

There are no rape allegations (yet, at least). She says "I was not raped."
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2020, 03:12:33 PM »

I'm skeptical of Davis' chances honestly, but he seems decent. NC Democrats should consider giving Heath Shuler a call though, he would have a very good shot at this race.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »

Going scorched earth might work reasonably well for a Republican in normal circumstances and give Cawthorn a national platform. However, if there’s a verifiable record of him admitting something (his text which prompted this would seem to qualify as that), I can’t imagine it being anything but harmful.

I’m not sure how competitive this seat is, but it’s definitely not safe while this story’s still unfolding.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »

Lol this is going to backfire so badly on Dems

lol
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »

World magazine (an Evangelical news outlet) reports that there's at least two more accusing Cawthorne of being a creep

Is Cawthorn the great representative of family values his campaign indicates? Several women, citing his behavior toward them, say no. The women say Cawthorn exhibited sexually or verbally aggressive behavior toward them when they were teenagers.

Two women say he forcibly kissed them. One woman told me he grabbed her thigh and moved his hand an inch or two beneath her dress. WORLD has corroborated each woman’s account with at least one other individual.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »

World magazine (an Evangelical news outlet) reports that there's at least two more accusing Cawthorne of being a creep

Is Cawthorn the great representative of family values his campaign indicates? Several women, citing his behavior toward them, say no. The women say Cawthorn exhibited sexually or verbally aggressive behavior toward them when they were teenagers.

Two women say he forcibly kissed them. One woman told me he grabbed her thigh and moved his hand an inch or two beneath her dress. WORLD has corroborated each woman’s account with at least one other individual.

When you're a star, they let you do it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »

At least NC-11 is more Democratic than GA-14.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2020, 12:25:59 PM by Brittain33 »

The SPQR thing makes it pretty clear this guy is at a minimum alt-right curious, even if it's just the Don, Jr. "been on the sites" way.

what kind of person sees "SPQR" and thinks "alt-right" ?

The Southern Poverty Law Center makes the correlation here:
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/08/12/flags-and-other-symbols-used-far-right-groups-charlottesville

The fasces that gave its name to fascism was a Roman law symbol, too.

The Anti-Defamation League doesn't list it, though, and the SPLC reference is within the context of a flag, so it's got plausible deniability.

I think there's a pattern here and I'd want to see if Cawthorn was slipping in references to 14 words, 88, the OK symbol etc. along with his visits to Hitler's aerie before concluding he's an alt-right white nationalist masking for political reasons.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »

At least NC-11 is more Democratic than GA-14.
God Bless Asheville. Purple heart
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »

I'm skeptical of Davis' chances honestly, but he seems decent. NC Democrats should consider giving Heath Shuler a call though, he would have a very good shot at this race.

Heath Shuler is a lobbyist now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »

Heath Shuler is a lobbyist now.

Doesn't matter, Shuler can beat Cawthorn.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »

It's starting to smell like this will play out as he'll step down before the deadline for the Republicans to replace him as their nominee, although I don't know offhand what that date is, and give it to Mark Meadows batsh**t insane chief of staff who lost the primary, turning this back from lean r to safe r
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »

It's starting to smell like this will play out as he'll step down before the deadline for the Republicans to replace him as their nominee, although I don't know offhand what that date is, and give it to Mark Meadows batsh**t insane chief of staff who lost the primary, turning this back from lean r to safe r

Haven't additional women levied allegations against Cawthorn?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies