If Kerry wins the EV but not the popular vote...

(1/4) > >>

afleitch:
If Kerry 'does a Bush' and wins the Electoral College despite loosing the popular vote, will there be more demand for a change in the rules? And if this voting anomaly happens, will Republicans out there promise not to gripe about it!

Fmr. Gov. NickG:
Quote from: afleitch on May 27, 2004, 06:52:43 AM

If Kerry 'does a Bush' and wins the Electoral College despite loosing the popular vote, will there be more demand for a change in the rules? And if this voting anomaly happens, will Republicans out there promise not to gripe about it!

Republicans would have griped endlessly about this it had happened to them in 2000...you would hear about it on every conservative talk radio show everyday for four years, terrorism or not.

But they can't really gripe about it if it happens in 2004.

I'm amazed there wasn't more effort to change the system after 2000.  Probably due to the fact that the electoral college problem was overshadowed by the vote-counting problems and all the court action.  If it happens in 2004, I think there will be more momentum to change things, but not enough to actually do it.

King:
What we should is work EVs like we do delegates in the Democratic Primaries. Instead of winner takes all, we divide in proportions. Of course this will also cause some 3rd party candidates to recieve electorals, but hopefully not enough to bring it to the house.

The Vorlon:
Quote from: theking2004 on May 27, 2004, 01:15:04 PM

What we should is work EVs like we do delegates in the Democratic Primaries. Instead of winner takes all, we divide in proportions. Of course this will also cause some 3rd party candidates to recieve electorals, but hopefully not enough to bring it to the house.

The chances of enough big states giving up "Winner take all" in the EC is just about Zero.

I may be slightly wrong on this, But if, for example Pennslyvania went to 2 EVs for the state winner + 1 per Congressional district, I think Gore would have won Pennsylvania 13-10 in 2000 (Is that right?) - making Pennsylvania the exact same NET importance as say Wyoming.

Profoundly unlikely IMHO

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.:
1) The Electoral Vote process will not be changed regardless of how many times the popular vote results gives different results.
2) Winner take all is determined at the state level per the US Constitution.  This also will not be changed.  So I am not going to bother listening to non-Texans complain about the winner-take-all system.  Go whine to your own state representatives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page