Who should have easily won but ended up blowing it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:16:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who should have easily won but ended up blowing it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Of the following candidates, which choked harder?
Al Gore 2000

John Kerry 2004

Mitt Romney 2012

None of these had a prayer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Who should have easily won but ended up blowing it?  (Read 2793 times)
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »

Dewey 48: Assumed Truman was going to lose from the start due to his massive unpopularity, and basically avoided saying anything of substance during his campaign in an attempt to appear bipartisan — he ended up looking noncommittal and wishy-washy.

Dukakis 88: Massive lead early on, but had numerous gaffes including a photo-op with a tank, and was portrayed as weak on crime. Ended up losing in a landslide.

Perot 92: Had a lead against both major party candidates and posed a legitimate threat to the two party system, but randomly dropped out in the summer only to rejoin in the final weeks of the race with much less support.

Clinton 16: Running against a historically unpopular GOP nominee, she blew it by not campaigning in key battleground Midwestern states and assuming white working class voters would stay on her side.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

I often wonder how Perot could've done if he hadn't dropped out.  Still hard to fathom seeing him win but if he peels off even more support than the 18% or so that he got it would've been interesting to say the least.  House may have had to determine the outcome.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »

Gore definitely, but the best answer is Hillary Clinton.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »

I often wonder how Perot could've done if he hadn't dropped out.  Still hard to fathom seeing him win but if he peels off even more support than the 18% or so that he got it would've been interesting to say the least.  House may have had to determine the outcome.

So an easy Clinton victory
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 05:42:37 AM »

Hillary 2016 is such as obvious example. She could have run a slightly better campaign and had won.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 02:58:13 AM »

Out of these three, Romney but without a doubt it's Hillary who should have easily won but ended up blowing it. A lot of the fundamentals were in the GOP's favor but Trump wasn't unbeatable. If her campaign had not relied so much on analytics and didn't neglect persuasion efforts she probably would have won.

Seance: There's this candidate from NY who ran for President before and you wouldn't believe how much they played it too safe to win.
Tom Dewey: Are you mocking me? I know I blew it.
Seance: No, I'm telling you that they outdid you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies