SENATE DEBATE: Ecologic Transition Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:36:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE DEBATE: Ecologic Transition Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE DEBATE: Ecologic Transition Act (Passed)  (Read 2331 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2020, 12:42:28 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Ecologic Transition Act

To encourage the transition of the Atlasian economy towards a decarbonized future by discouraging the use of fossil fuels

1. After the passage of this bill, the government of the Republic of Atlasia may not issue any new authorizations for the exploration to find any new deposits of fossil fuels (including oil, natural gas and coal), nor for the explotation of any new deposits that are not being currently exploited. This includes those extractions that would be performed through hydraulic fracture (fracking). This shall also apply in the territorial waters and exclusive economic zone of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. After the passage of this bill, the federal government of the Republic of Atlasia may not subsidize the extraction, usage or sale of any hydrocarbon based fuels, nor of coal. All currently existing federal subsidies on hydrocarbon fuels and coal shall be phased out.
3. After the year 2035, all federally owned vehicles used for the transportation of government officials shall be electric vehicles, or otherwise vehicles not based off fossil fuels.
4. 2 years after the passage of this bill, all suppliers of fossil fuels that, combining all their gas stations, have a supplied volume of at least 5 million litres of petrol and diesel combined; shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC
5. 1 year after the passage of this bill, all newly built gas stations in the Republic of Atlasia shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC
[/quote]

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Desigination: SB25:12
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »

Initial Debate Period - Sponsor Advocacy
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »

Ok, so I made this bill off of some RL bill from the Spanish government (my go-to method when I have "writers block"; this time being the "Ecologic Transition Act", though I took only like 2 sections from said RL bill)

And since the Green Party of Atlasia is now a thing, I suppose I need to react to their existance Tongue

Anyways this should be straightforward:

Section 1 bans the Atlasian government from authorizing any new explorations to find fossil fuels. This does not ban extraction of fossil fuels in the wells that have already been found; but rather makes it so that oil and gas companies cannot try to search for any new deposits

Section 2 makes it illegal for the federal government to subsidize fossil fuel extraction or usage.

Section 3 is the usual #populist thing about vehicles for federal employees, this time mandating them to be electric or otherwise not based on fossil fuels; by the year 2035.

Section 4 mandates that big gas stations need to install electric chargers by 2 years from now

Section 5 mandates that any new gas stations built from the ground up need to install a electric charger as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 11:48:36 PM »

Section 1 leans much to heavily in the make it so expensive that people bleed out of their eyes approach for my tastes.

The people with older cars, and the last ones who will get electric cars are poor working class people like myself. I cannot afford car payments, don't have the money to buy a new car outright and electric and hybrid cars are a lot harder and more expensive to fix when they get old therefore it is dangerous to buy them used. This means that there is going to be a tremendous gradient of adoption that favors the wealthy at the expense of the poor in this regards.

There are also manufacturing processes that use these resources and this will price them out of existence and cause us to import from far dirtier production sources.

Really is a counterproductive approach.

I have long been suspicious that a good part of green strategy that relies on boosting the price of fossil fuels is basically a round about way to turn tech tycoons into the next oil sheiks, rather than lowering the price of the environmentally friendly stuff, just jack up the price of oil and gas.

We should be doing the opposite and we must recognize that banning production of fossil fuels here increases the global price substantially, creating a windfall for the likes of Russia, Saudi Arabia and Iran and typically speaking whenever they get lots of oil money, they like to start killing people with it.

We are never going to completely eliminate these resources, what we should be doing is making the alternatives, the electric cars and such forth cheaper so that they can out compete the gasoline ones. That will reduce demand responsibly and actually put a dent in the profits of the OPEC countries, Russia etc by not artificially and prematurely crimping the supply.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »

I don't support any part of this bill for the reasons Yankee gave.

I move to table.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »

I assume section 1 is the dealbreaker here? The implementation date could be moved into the future, or just abolished if need be
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:08:57 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
Ecologic Transition Act

To encourage the transition of the Atlasian economy towards a decarbonized future by discouraging the use of fossil fuels

1. After the passage of this bill, the government of the Republic of Atlasia may not issue any new authorizations for the exploration to find any new deposits of fossil fuels (including oil, natural gas and coal), nor for the explotation of any new deposits that are not being currently exploited. This includes those extractions that would be performed through hydraulic fracture (fracking). This shall also apply in the territorial waters and exclusive economic zone of the Republic of Atlasia.
2 1. After the passage of this bill, the federal government of the Republic of Atlasia may not subsidize the extraction, usage or sale of any hydrocarbon based fuels, nor of coal. All currently existing federal subsidies on hydrocarbon fuels and coal shall be phased out.
3 2. After the year 2035, all federally owned vehicles used for the transportation of government officials shall be electric vehicles, or otherwise vehicles not based off fossil fuels.
4 3. 2 years after the passage of this bill, all suppliers of fossil fuels that, combining all their gas stations, have a supplied volume of at least 5 million litres of petrol and diesel combined; shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC
5 4. 1 year after the passage of this bill, all newly built gas stations in the Republic of Atlasia shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC
[/quote]
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »

I'd support the amendment if there is a further amendment to the new Section 4 that accounts for population in the surrounding area the gas station serves or at least postpones it to a later date. In a gas station in a small rural area, an electric charging station being required wouldn't be used much if at all and would be an unnecessary expense, especially for non-franchise privately owned ones.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »

I'd support the amendment if there is a further amendment to the new Section 4 that accounts for population in the surrounding area the gas station serves or at least postpones it to a later date. In a gas station in a small rural area, an electric charging station being required wouldn't be used much if at all and would be an unnecessary expense, especially for non-franchise privately owned ones.

I have a similar concerns but I preferred to address one situation at a time.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »

NC Yankee's amendment is friendly

As for Jimmy's hypothetical amendment, I suppose delaying the implementation is something that can easily be done. Adjusting by population I don't think is a great idea, but I am fine with adjusting by sales instead (which should track decently well with population?)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 01:07:35 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:10:04 PM »

The amendment is adopted.

The leaves the concern held by Jimmy and I about rural gas stations. Do you want to offer an amendment on that Jimmy?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 10:11:02 PM »

Yes I will have one up soon.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 04:01:16 AM »

Been four days, how soon are we talking here?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »

Proposing this:

Ecologic Transition Act

1. After the passage of this bill, the federal government of the Republic of Atlasia may not subsidize the extraction, usage or sale of any hydrocarbon based fuels, nor of coal. All currently existing federal subsidies on hydrocarbon fuels and coal shall be phased out.

2. After the year 2035, all federally owned vehicles used for the transportation of government officials shall be electric vehicles, or otherwise vehicles not based off fossil fuels.

3. 2 3 years after the passage of this bill, all suppliers of fossil fuels that, combining all their gas stations, have a supplied volume of at least 5 million litres of petrol and diesel combined; shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC in all of their gas station locations, except for gas stations located in any location that meets any of the following —
    Census County Subdivisions with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents;
    Census Designated Places with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents;
    Census Tracts with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents.

4. 1 year after the passage of this bill, all newly built gas stations in the Republic of Atlasia shall have an electric charging station able to supply at least 50 kW of power DC, except for newly built gas stations located in any location that meets any of the following —
    Census County Subdivisions with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents;
    Census Designated Places with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents;
    Census Tracts with a population density of under 250 people per square mile or a population of under 1000 residents.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »

Honestly not sure what to say here lol
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 12:07:16 AM »

Error Code: 22B2 - Invalid Entry Domain Field
Abort Retry Fail
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 01:22:08 AM »

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail

Abort Retry Fail
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 01:23:20 AM »

When someone fails to give feedback, the default is to treat it as hostile.

A vote is now open on the amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 05:20:20 AM »

Abstain Tongue
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp