Debs relative support in Mississippi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:26:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Debs relative support in Mississippi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Debs relative support in Mississippi  (Read 906 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:26:50 AM »

He actually beat President Taft there in 1912 with 3.18% of the vote and fell just shy of 2% in 1920. Contrast with the 28 votes he got in South Carolina in 1920. Who were these people? I know that Mississippi had more industrial jobs than the Carolina's did, but I can't imagine many of those workers could afford the poll tax.

Also, I'm kind of surprised Debs allowed was on the ballot at all in some of these states.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »

Anyone?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2020, 09:28:20 AM by CraneHusband »

I saw your post the other day and didn't respond because I don't know. It's an interesting question and situation, but it's going to be tough to track down specific information and breakdowns of why Mississippi voters voted that way. It could be something as simple as Debs had a stronger ground game there.

Also those SC results look extremely suspect. I question the accuracy of any result giving the winner over 95% of the vote. In many ways, the Jim Crow south resembled a post-Soviet authoritarian regime in terms of voter suppression.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 01:52:38 AM »

I have no clue, the Alabama and Louisiana results I'm pretty sure were from working class/poor-tennant voters that were grandfatherd in voting. The union base in Alabama led to votes for La Fotte in 1924 so I'm pretty sure the same happened in 1912. Poor Tenant farmers and the basis of the populist base also led to Winn Parish (home of Huey long) voting for Debs in strong numbers- this likely happened in Alabama too. Don't know about Mississippi. 
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 03:42:16 AM »

I saw your post the other day and didn't respond because I don't know. It's an interesting question and situation, but it's going to be tough to track down specific information and breakdowns of why Mississauga voters voted that way. It could be something as simple as Debs had a stronger ground game there.

Also those SC results look extremely suspect. I question the accuracy of any result giving the winner over 95% of the vote. In many ways, the Jim Crow south resembled a post-Soviet authoritarian regime in terms of voter suppression.

South Carolina had no real secret ballot until 1950, which likely amounts for most of why that state had Nazi-like majorities consistently in spite of everything else for so many years.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »

I saw your post the other day and didn't respond because I don't know. It's an interesting question and situation, but it's going to be tough to track down specific information and breakdowns of why Mississauga voters voted that way. It could be something as simple as Debs had a stronger ground game there.

South Carolina had no real secret ballot until 1950, which likely amounts for most of why that state had Nazi-like majorities consistently in spite of everything else for so many years.

The most Democratic state was the least democratic. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies