France General Discussion IV: Yellow Fever
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:52:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France General Discussion IV: Yellow Fever
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
Author Topic: France General Discussion IV: Yellow Fever  (Read 38849 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 26, 2022, 06:41:33 AM »

Truss and Macron currently trading barbs, things are looking promising for when she becomes PM.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #451 on: August 26, 2022, 04:02:06 PM »

For the first time in recorded history, something news worthy happens in Savoie.

Yes, I am that juvenile. Problem?

Where is that? Huh

Bourg-St-Maurice if I am remembering right
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »

For the first time in recorded history, something news worthy happens in Savoie.

Where is that? Huh

Ah, I see. Never been there actually, but good for them.

As for your cheap shot at my homeland, all I'll say is that not many regions can pride themselves to have founded a country they're not even a part of. Savoy will always hold a glorious place in the history of Europe and haters can cope and seethe.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #453 on: August 27, 2022, 05:34:13 AM »

Where is that? Huh

Ah, I see. Never been there actually, but good for them.

As for your cheap shot at my homeland, all I'll say is that not many regions can pride themselves to have founded a country they're not even a part of. Savoy will always hold a glorious place in the history of Europe and haters can cope and seethe.

Ooh I know. The unassuming suburban commune I grew up actually was part of Savoy until it was ceeded to Geneva in 1816. There but for the Grace of god…

Weirdly off topic but it’s funny how the old Savoie Libre graffitis you used to see under motorway bridges and stuff have all disappeared in the last couple of decades. Or even more incredible to think that only a couple of decades ago, Breton nationalist binning attacks were an actual thing that happened
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #454 on: August 27, 2022, 06:58:12 AM »

Weirdly off topic but it’s funny how the old Savoie Libre graffitis you used to see under motorway bridges and stuff have all disappeared in the last couple of decades. Or even more incredible to think that only a couple of decades ago, Breton nationalist binning attacks were an actual thing that happened

There is a Savoyard regionalist party that ran candidates in the legislatives in some constituencies this year. Unfortunately it did Not do well. It's a real shame, because Savoy is a region that really could benefit from cultivating a more distinct regional identity, and as I noted has all the historical prestige to back it up. I unironically might have voted for them in the first round if I wasn't so committed to NUPES' success.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #455 on: August 28, 2022, 01:46:20 AM »

Savoyard is considered a slur to them, they prefer Savoisien.

I believe the 2-3 Savoy departments have in their schools one hour of Arpitan per week.

The real issue there seems to be tourism development and its effect. Thankfully global warming means skiers, arguably the worst kind of tourists, will soon be gone.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2022, 05:07:04 AM »

Savoyard is considered a slur to them, they prefer Savoisien.

All the people I know say Savoyard without any negative connotation. It's the traditional demonym and there's no reason to be ashamed of it. "Savoisien" sounds like hideous newspeak.

I believe the 2-3 Savoy departments have in their schools one hour of Arpitan per week.

That's very good to know. By the "third" Savoy department I assume you mean Ain? It used to be part of Savoy way back in the day, but I don't think much of that culture survived.
palandio

« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2022, 06:02:35 AM »

Sabauda it is.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »

I've only heard Savoyard, and they're the gene pool enemies. You know

Ce fut l’an mil six cent et deux,
Qu’on vit ces Savoyards furieux,
Dans l’ombre de la nuit
Violer notre réduit
Ah ! la belle Escalade,
Savoyard, Savoyard,
Ah ! la belle Escalade,
Savoyard, gard, gard

With ski resorts - for the time being the high altitude ones like Val d'Isère with pistes largely above 2000m altitude will be fine. They're already the ones that appeal to the worst types of bourgeois du 16ème clientele, but are seeing massive increases in property prices etc - making them all the more exclusive - precisely for that reason.

The ones that are dying are the mid-mountain locals only resorts. The little station that tops out at 1400m that I used to get dragged to by the parents as a teenager has already basically ceased to exist as a viable ski resort. Which is kind of sad really.

The big, high altitude resorts than can use snow cannons when they need to will be absolutely fine for the forseeable. But will also obviously continue to be an utter environmental and social disaster for precisely that reason. Among others. The industry is a self-evident absurdity when you think about it.

In any case the 74 will be continue to be prosperous as it's economy is far more reliant on Geneva and the fairly succseful industry in the Arve valley than on ski resorts, whose dissapearance is probably a bigger problem further south.

There is a Savoyard regionalist party that ran candidates in the legislatives in some constituencies this year. Unfortunately it did Not do well. It's a real shame, because Savoy is a region that really could benefit from cultivating a more distinct regional identity, and as I noted has all the historical prestige to back it up. I unironically might have voted for them in the first round if I wasn't so committed to NUPES' success.

To be honest, I would have always vaguely expected Savoie regionalism to be more of the faf variant, which is probably a bit unfair on my side as those guys do actually look pretty reasonable. The story of how Savoie actually wound up becoming french is pretty eye opening as well. As it was a lot more recent, and a lot less - obvious - shall we say, than you might otherwise think.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2024, 08:28:40 AM »

Why is Jordan Bardella so popular? Is being a young Lepenist from a banlieu with a dollop of Algerian ancestry really that appealing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Bardella

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2024, 10:16:34 AM »

Why is Jordan Bardella so popular? Is being a young Lepenist from a banlieu with a dollop of Algerian ancestry really that appealing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Bardella

He is a figurehead for the demographic FN try to target the most, and successfully at that.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2024, 03:20:27 AM »

This doesn't bode well at all.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #462 on: April 11, 2024, 03:38:03 AM »

PS actually set to perform quite well (compared to the disasters of the last ten years) on those numbers then?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2024, 03:41:53 AM »

PS actually set to perform quite well (compared to the disasters of the last ten years) on those numbers then?

Yes they are making a mini comeback largely thanks to Mélenchon and his idiocy.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »

Interesting to see the age groups where FN (or whatever we are meant to call them these days) has the highest support - this goes a bit against the "young people are the mainstay of the far right on the continent" narrative that you see expressed sometimes.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2024, 01:21:25 AM »

Interesting to see the age groups where FN (or whatever we are meant to call them these days) has the highest support - this goes a bit against the "young people are the mainstay of the far right on the continent" narrative that you see expressed sometimes.

Does it? Because my main reading of that is that old people are the mainstay of Macronisme, bland centrist goody two shoes politics.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2024, 05:02:06 AM »

What the Christ is this color code? PS in yellow?? LFI in pink?? EELV, the party that literally has "green" in the name, in red for some ing reason??

Statista needs to fire their graphic designer.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2024, 07:23:33 AM »

Does it? Because my main reading of that is that old people are the mainstay of Macronisme, bland centrist goody two shoes politics.

I was talking about support for Le Pen's lot.

Which is clearly highest amongst 50-somethings, and equal to "da yoof" with those in their 60s.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2024, 12:35:13 PM »

I was talking about support for Le Pen's lot.

Which is clearly highest amongst 50-somethings, and equal to "da yoof" with those in their 60s.

And the parties which do relatively best among younger voters are EELV and LFI.

LR are also very dependent on the older generations for what's left of their vote.

(Insert usual caveat about subsamples here.)
omar04

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2024, 09:25:35 PM »

What's up with LREM having more support the older a age group is despite the pension reforms?
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #470 on: April 13, 2024, 04:13:34 AM »

What's up with LREM having more support the older a age group is despite the pension reforms?
Pension reform i.e. raising the retirement age largely hits younger voters. If you’re already retired then it makes no difference to you.

More generally, Macron is basically the liberal-conservative centre-right candidate now, and has inherited the electorate which votes for such a thing (older, middle class etc).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #471 on: April 13, 2024, 05:11:19 AM »

I'd add to that that he has the "ideal son in law" image that makes him loveable to them and hateable to anyone who can see through such outdated garbage.
omar04

« Reply #472 on: April 13, 2024, 01:13:04 PM »

Pension reform i.e. raising the retirement age largely hits younger voters. If you’re already retired then it makes no difference to you.

More generally, Macron is basically the liberal-conservative centre-right candidate now, and has inherited the electorate which votes for such a thing (older, middle class etc).

That makes sense. I think I was surprised because of how widely the 2019 and 2023 pension reforms were covered in English media and the 50-59 year old demographic which would be the most immediately effected.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #473 on: April 13, 2024, 01:14:14 PM »

Old people love Macron because he loves them.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies