Do the seattle buisness owners have a legitimate case against Seattle for CHOP/CHAZ if this is true?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:34:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do the seattle buisness owners have a legitimate case against Seattle for CHOP/CHAZ if this is true?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do the seattle buisness owners have a legitimate case against Seattle for CHOP/CHAZ if this is true?  (Read 403 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/us/defund-police-seattle-protests.html

Read this article by the nyt
The Seattle lawsuit — and interviews with shop owners in cities like Portland and Minneapolis — underscores a key question: Can businesses still rely on local governments, which are now rethinking the role of the police, to keep them safe? The issue is especially tense in Seattle, where the city government not only permitted the establishment of a police-free zone, but provided infrastructure like concrete barriers and portable toilets to sustain it.

If the Seattle city government helped sustain CHAZ are they partially liable for any damages?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:29:20 PM »

My understanding of the Seattle lawsuit is that the plaintiffs are alleging an unconstitutional taking (i.e., that the government seized their real property without payment). At the very least, it's an interesting approach, but it's unlikely to have any actual chance of success, as courts have ruled time & time again that police technically have no legal obligation to protect anybody, so I'd presume that - since they have no duty to protect from bodily injury - this would be a slam-dunk dismissal since it's about lost property/services.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »

My understanding of the Seattle lawsuit is that the plaintiffs are alleging an unconstitutional taking (i.e., that the government seized their real property without payment). At the very least, it's an interesting approach, but it's unlikely to have any actual chance of success, as courts have ruled time & time again that police technically have no legal obligation to protect anybody, so I'd presume that - since they have no duty to protect from bodily injury - this would be a slam-dunk dismissal since it's about lost property/services.
Of course I agree they dont have a legal obligation to protect. However to fund the rioters is different.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »

Of course I agree they dont have a legal obligation to protect. However to fund the rioters is different.

I think a judge would consider the claim that the city setting up concrete barriers in order to prevent traffic from passing through (which could arguably be contended in court as having taken place so as to protect traffic from the area's events) & installing port-a-potties so that the area remained sanitary both somehow served to "fund the rioters" to be absurd.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2020, 05:48:10 PM by lfromnj »

I think a judge would consider the claim that the city setting up concrete barriers in order to prevent traffic from passing through (which could arguably be contended in court as having taken place so as to protect traffic from the area's events) & installing port-a-potties so that the area remained sanitary both somehow served to "fund the rioters" to be absurd.

I wouldn't say absurd but seems like a reasonable argument for the city to argue for.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »

The point of the lawsuit was never really to recoup damages, but to pressure the city to end CHOP and expedite the Claims process for direct property damage (graffiti, broken windows).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies