States’ largest cities that will vote for Trump. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  States’ largest cities that will vote for Trump. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States’ largest cities that will vote for Trump.  (Read 11741 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: August 06, 2020, 01:57:01 AM »

Inspired by the state capitals thread.

Cheyenne most likely will.  Sioux Falls could, but I hope not.  Oklahoma City could.  Not sure about Billings or Virginia Beach, I don’t think Fargo will, and I’m confident Anchorage will flip Democratic.

If I had to guess, Cheyenne, Sioux Falls, Billings, and OKC.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:15:05 AM »

I forgot about Wichita.

Starting west of the Rockies:

Alaska: Fairbanks
Arizona: Mesa
California: Huntington Beach, Simi Valley, or Murrieta
Idaho: Meridian
Hawaii: Probably nowhere
Nevada: Henderson or Carson City
Oregon: Keizer or Grants Pass
Washington: Spokane Valley or Kennewick

While that wasn’t my initial intention with this thread, I don’t see any reason why not.  Go ahead!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »

Starting west of the Rockies:

Alaska: Fairbanks
Arizona: Mesa
California: Huntington Beach, Simi Valley, or Murrieta
Idaho: Meridian
Hawaii: Probably nowhere
Nevada: Henderson or Carson City
Oregon: Keizer or Grants Pass
Utah: Provo
Washington: Spokane Valley or Kennewick

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about what the OP question is asking.

As I’ve stated, I’m okay with the direction the thread has taken.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »

It’s not overly likely, but Sioux Falls could flip in a decisive Biden victory.  My city probably has a better chance than the state of Iowa or Ohio, even though the 2016 Trump margins in those places were slightly lower. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »

Sioux Falls should swing towards Biden, both sides of the county line, but for different reasons.  Sioux Falls is historically lily-white with much increased diversity in recent decades, but most of that diversity is in Minnehaha.  Lincoln County is still lily-white, but should swing left due to education.  I’d imagine that the extant of Minnehaha’s swing could be influenced by turnout by minorities, including immigrants from such places as Mexico and Sudan, and also Native Americans.

Anyway, the most liberal areas of Sioux Falls are in or near downtown, typical of cities.  A big reason Sioux Falls is more Republican than a lot of other cities is much of it has a suburban character.  The reason Fargo is more liberal is because it has a denser urban core, and NDSU.

Sure, Obama’s success in Plains cities should be transferable to Biden.  Omaha was actually pretty good for Hillary.

Obama performed very well in the region in 2008, including many rural areas.  I thought rural counties in  Minnesota, Iowa, Dakotas, etc. would stay distinct a little longer from rural areas in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Appalachia which swung against Obama.  It seemed like the Upper Midwest had a more moderate rural culture, due to Northern and Scandinavian heritage, yet 2016 saw rural America swing sharply towards Trump.  Democrats’ problems with rural areas will probably continue for a while, but Biden should do fine in cities, even on the Plains.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies