1932: Smith/Hoover voters/areas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1932: Smith/Hoover voters/areas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1932: Smith/Hoover voters/areas  (Read 434 times)
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »

I imagine that Catholic areas and voters would be most likely to vote this way, due to Republican Catholics who voted Smith purely due to the religion issue. How common would Smith/Hoover voters have been, and were there any units of population (cities, precincts, districts, etc) that voted for Smith in 1928 and Hoover in 1932? Also, how many counties swung more Republican from 1928-1932? Are there any county swing maps available for the election? I know there were no counties that fully flipped from Smith to Hoover, but I am curious to see how rare it was for counties to swing more Republican. The only example I know of is heavily Catholic Elk County, Pennsylvania, thanks to the below post which sparked my interest in this topic.

Smith-Hoover, Goldwater-Humphrey, and Dole-Gore come to mind. What other voting patters were very unusual?

Smith-Hoover is certainly unusual, but I can provide a concrete example of it. I recall reading somewhere that Hoover did several percentage points better in heavily Catholic Elk County, Pennsylvania, in 1932 than he did in 1928. He still lost the county though, as he did not gain a single county which Smith had carried in 1928 (while losing over 2,000 counties he had won to Franklin Roosevelt). Moreover, Roosevelt did not improve substantially over Smith in Massachusetts. I think that Smith-Hoover voters were predominantly Catholics who went for Smith out of a sense of shared religion, but otherwise voted Republican.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:40:20 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2020, 09:48:18 PM by Guy »

I searched through Massachusettes, it being the most likely area to have counties swinging towards Hoover due to the state as a whole barely swinging against him, and I found one county that swung toward Hoover according to Wikipedia.

Berkshire County voted Smith 49.98-49.52 and Roosevelt 48.22-48.08, swinging towards Hoover by 0.32%. If Hoover got just 66 more votes more in 1932, it could have been a Smith-Hoover county
chubbygummy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »

A few Louisiana parishes swung to Hoover. The strongest were Iberia, Iberville, and St. John the Baptist. I'm sure the Catholic factor played some role in this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies