Monmouth-IA: RV-Trump +3 | LV-Trump +2 or Tied
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Monmouth-IA: RV-Trump +3 | LV-Trump +2 or Tied
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Monmouth-IA: RV-Trump +3 | LV-Trump +2 or Tied  (Read 1809 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2020, 10:10:02 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Tilt/Lean R. Still worth putting some effort in IA for the sake of the senate and 2 competitive House races.

Senate has Ernst up 48-45, btw.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »

I presume that Dubuque County flips R --> D in this scenario?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »

Trump at -5 net approval, 45/50. He's winning over a decent amount of people who dislike him, but they could definitely be flipped against him.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:09 AM »

It strikes me as odd that the high turnout model has Trump doing better than the low turnout model.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »

Very small sample size here, margin of error race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »

It strikes me as odd that the high turnout model has Trump doing better than the low turnout model.

Yeah, I'm confused as to how the low turnout model has them tied, but higher turnout benefits him?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »

“One of the reasons Biden may do nominally better in a lower turnout scenario is that his voters are slightly more motivated. It’s  not a statistically significant difference, though, and this race is currently up for grabs no matter how you slice it,” said Murray.

Can someone explain this to me? If Biden's voters are more motivated, shouldn't that help him in the... higher turnout model?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »

“One of the reasons Biden may do nominally better in a lower turnout scenario is that his voters are slightly more motivated. It’s  not a statistically significant difference, though, and this race is currently up for grabs no matter how you slice it,” said Murray.

Can someone explain this to me? If Biden's voters are more motivated, shouldn't that help him in the... higher turnout model?

No, because a high turnout means lesser motivated voters are also turning out
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »

This also has Trump's COVID response at +/- 0 which... considering it's underwater by like 20% nationwide, I can't imagine that is correct.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »

It's not that surprising. In places like Iowa, low propensity voters skew white, rural, and lacking a college degree - demographics which would be favorable to Trump on paper. A big worry for Trump's campaign isn't that these voters will flip, but that they just won't turn out for him at the high rates in 2016 (see what happened in Iowa in 2018 where lower turnout among Republicans relative to Democrats hurt them in the House races and kept the Governor's race close).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »

If Biden loses Iowa by 3, it makes since if he is leading the NPV by 9 if Clinton lost Iowa by 9 when she won the NPV by 2. People move and change their minds, but there might not be  much change. I'd put this in as Trump +2 and Ernst +1.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »

400 registered voters only.

Which means the sample size for LV could be 240-320 (60% low turnout vs. 80% high turnout model).

They didn’t publish the sample sizes for the LV models ...

Anyway, in Austria it would be thrown out as a legitimate poll because of low polling standards according to the VDMI standards, which require a sample of at least 800.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

Iowa was the most rural of the states that flipped in 2016, so it's not stunning to me that it would be more stubbornly pro-Trump than any of the others. There's certainly an opportunity here for Biden given Trump's underwater approval rating, but I wouldn't be prioritizing it given the low number of electoral votes up for grabs.
indietraveler

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »

Interesting read of the breakdown here. If the election was held today we would probably be looking at Trump/Ernst wins similar to the 2018 governors race with the house delegation staying the same - if their urban/swing/rural breakdowns are to be believed. Biden has improved enough on Clinton's numbers where IA-2 and IA-3 probably aren't a real threat of flipping. IA-1 seems to be the most likely to flip based on the summary, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Also of note, not surprised by the lesser education gap here. It would be interesting to see data on this but it seems conservative college grads here disproportionally stay in Iowa upon graduation, either moving back to their home communities or to other parts of the state. Liberal graduates seem to leave the state at a higher rate for urban areas - Chicago, Denver, Austin, etc.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »

Interesting read of the breakdown here. If the election was held today we would probably be looking at Trump/Ernst wins similar to the 2018 governors race with the house delegation staying the same - if their urban/swing/rural breakdowns are to be believed. Biden has improved enough on Clinton's numbers where IA-2 and IA-3 probably aren't a real threat of flipping. IA-1 seems to be the most likely to flip based on the summary, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Also of note, not surprised by the lesser education gap here. It would be interesting to see data on this but it seems conservative college grads here disproportionally stay in Iowa upon graduation, either moving back to their home communities or to other parts of the state. Liberal graduates seem to leave the state at a higher rate for urban areas - Chicago, Denver, Austin, etc.

There's a big difference between how college whites who live in big metro areas (5m+ people) vote and how college whites who live in smaller metro areas vote, that was one of the things that stood out in 2016, biggest wings among college whites against Trump relative to Romney were among college whites in bigger metro areas.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »

Remember this is a state Trump won by nearly 10 points last time
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »

LV screen now, it's going down to wire after Labor Day 278 map, Trump tracking 48/42 Rassy tracking
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »

Looks like a 12-point Republican lean relative to the "nation as a whole" if we assume this and the Biden +9 national poll are accurate. In 2016, IA was... 12 points more Republican than the nation. Doesn’t sound very "elastic" to me, especially since this is only one of many polls showing Trump with a narrow but stubborn advantage in a massive Democratic wave year.

Also, if Democrats can’t win statewide under current conditions, press F for the Iowa Democratic Party in 2022.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »

Maybe Iowa will be my new Florida. The presidential results line up with expectations and honestly I don't actually care much about it flipping. It's one of the last states Biden needs. But I do care a lot about the Senate election and it will be helpful to flip, so to see Ernst up for the first time in awhile is very disheartening.

It's still a tossup for now, but I'm going to be depressed if it moves back to lean or likely R, especially now that the Kansas Senate election looks like it's going to be fool's gold. It would signal that MTTreasurer is right and that Democrats will be incapable of winning at the state level for the forseeable future. You can scratch off Grassley's successor in 2022 being a Democrat if that's the case too.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »

See username. This is a Safe R state that is masquerading as a battleground state due to Trump's horrible numbers nationwide. The fact that Biden can't lead here in any credible polls despite Trump's clown show shows how dire the situation here is for Democrats. Add on to this that Democrats have performed worse in Iowa than polling indicates.

Texas is more likely to flip than Iowa, but people won't acknowledge that fact until it actually happens.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »

See username. This is a Safe R state that is masquerading as a battleground state due to Trump's horrible numbers nationwide. The fact that Biden can't lead here in any credible polls despite Trump's clown show shows how dire the situation here is for Democrats. Add on to this that Democrats have performed worse in Iowa than polling indicates.

Texas is more likely to flip than Iowa, but people won't acknowledge that fact until it actually happens.

The state went from an 3-R to 3-D House delegation in 2018. That doesn't sound at all safe Republican.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 08:54:41 PM »

Trump will win IA by more than this considering this is a RV poll.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

The state went from an 3-R to 3-D House delegation in 2018. That doesn't sound at all safe Republican.

Those districts were all won by Trump by less than 5. They only won the House popular vote because King massively underperformed in IA-04, while Trump will likely win that by double digits. “3-1 D delegation” is not a good argument for why IA is still competitive.

Trump will likely win the state, the only race worth investing here for the Dems is the Senate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »

Trump will win IA by more than this considering this is a RV poll.

Did you see that the LV screen makes it a closer race for Trump?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies