At this point, what is more likely?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  At this point, what is more likely?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At this point, what is more likely?  (Read 824 times)
hurricanehink
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »

• Humans communicate with an intelligent species outside of our solar system
  • Humans communicate with humans from another universe
  • Humans communicate with God, or otherwise a higher power/deity that interacts already with Earth?
So originally my thought experiment was on the first two ideas, how long it would take for humans to communicate with a species from outside of our solar system. I believe there is an outside chance we will discover active life on Mars, Europa, and perhaps other moons/bodies in our solar system, which we might discover this century. There are 4,301 exoplanets, of which we know dozens could support the conditions for life. But just as we might discover "life" on Mars or elsewhere, we might only detect biosignatures of a civilization for the foreseeable future (even when the James Webb Telescope launches next year). Perhaps we will pick up on radioactivity or advanced radio waves, but the sheer distance of any communications will mean that it could take a very long time to know if we're even successful. Still, do you believe this is more likely than the other two options, and if so, why?

I wondered, during that very long time whether humans would have any better luck finding other humans in another universe. This is very speculative, a part of fiction, time travel, alternate universes, and might not belong on a religion/philosophy forum. Still, the multiverse is the subject of many films and TV shows, and the idea is supported by scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking. Perhaps we'll have more luck talking to other humans from another time, and we can learn from humanity's shared knowledge across universes. Do you believe this more likely than the other options, and if so, why?

Now, some people are on the religious side. By some, I mean 84% of the world's population believing in some form of religion, mostly Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism, and folk religions. Most have some form of prophet who interacted with a God or other higher power. If you need proof, look no further than this being the year 2020, a year whose basis goes back to the year 525 AD, so numbered based on the number of years since the birth of Jesus Christ. Do you believe it more likely than the the first two options, and if so, why?

Also, can someone make it a poll? Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far, I'd love your feedback.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:59:32 AM »

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:41:11 AM »

the first one and by a lot
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »

The first is plausible, but incredibly unlikely

The second is impossible

The third I suppose is plausible, but would probably not be universally recognized. But even if it was, it still involves breaking the laws of the universe technically (while the 1st doesn't)

So option 1 is my choice
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »

The first one.

There is no such thing as "another universe".   And there is no such thing as "God" either.  All deities are political constructions...invented in the imagination of hairless primates. 
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »

The first will never happen.
The second is impossible by definition.
The third may or may not make sense depending on your understanding of "deity".
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »

If you're a religious person, don't you basically have to choose option three? Being religious essentially requires that you believe that has already happened.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, but those who say option 2 is impossible, it’s a theory advocated by top scientists.

I tend to prefer option 2, communicating with other humans from another universe, could happen within the next 500 years, as we better understand quantum physics, the observer effect, dark energy, and other aspects of physics. I think it’s more likely to find other versions of ourselves than communicating in real time with another lifeform or a higher power. The vastness of space means it could take many hundreds of years to find other lifeforms, let alone communicate with them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies